Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Player Positions Driving me MAD

Options
  • 22-06-2011 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭

right.. so i have 3 young guys i bought up about a month ago,

I need some serious advice on what to do with them! i wanted the 3 of them to be Backs, becoz of their Weight and Stats!

But i get X's in my Match report where ever i put them in the Backline, is it possible to just keep playing a guy in a certain position and he'll just shut up n get used to it??

Willing to put up their skills to get advice...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Throw up their stats and advice will be given. Haven't seen an X in a long time, I'm wondering what's wrong with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭mar-z

Yeah put up the stats and someone here will help. We may even give multiple conflicting opinions which will add to the confusion :D
    TheJims wrote: »
    But i get X's in my Match report where ever i put them in the Backline, is it possible to just keep playing a guy in a certain position and he'll just shut up n get used to it??

X's aren't the end of the world, it just means that he'd play better in another position not that he will be bad in the position selected (If the number of stars is low he is poor for that position afaik). I regularly enough play a player at 8 where he gets an X. He gets a tick in the second row but I have better players for locks so he usually goes in the backrow if he plays.

If you keep playing/training them for a certain position you could gain a tick as the player's stats develop.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭TheJims

darcy10.jpg

Darcy was bought to be a 13, and he was great at it! but my lack of Fullbacks has me forced into placing him back there. But now im struggling to find a new 13!

gwyn10.jpg

Gwyn isnt getting ticks in the centre, wing or full back.. B*llocks... welsh fecker..

louis10.jpg

Louis was a 13 for his former club, But isn't getting the ticks for me at 12 or 13. His defence looks good for 15, but his kicking, speed and handling arent up to scratch for it..

Now im in Div IV, and will be next season too, so i have a very young team across the board, and i want player to grow into their positions and not need to buy for many seasons to come.
    By the time my current squad (between 17-23 years old) get too old, im hoping to have home grown talent to fill the gaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

None of those are centers unless they get serious Agility.

Darci is a Full Back through and through, nice player! Would also make a handy 9.

Williams is all over the place, has the stats of a backrow but the weight of a back. I would get shot of him and fine someone else to grow into that position.

Astle is a 6 at best at the moment but train him in Agility and he could be a center.

Well Darsi has gotten a tick in your last four matches at fullback so I would say your position for him is sorted. I wouldn't be suprised if he did get a tick at 13 as well. For a fullback he has relatively good speed, defense, handling and kicking which are all good bonuses (actually they are good for most backline positions)

The other two are a little slow, with not great handling or agility; coupled that with good strength and technique I would say they would get a tick in the backrow. As their speed/handling/agility increase from playing in the backs (and whatever training they are getting) they should get ticks as centers.

So it's up to you, be persistant and wait for them to get ticks as their stats improve or possibly use Astle as a lightweight backrow (normally wouldn't do it for a player under 100kg). I suppose there is the option of not playing them but that isn't too helpful.

From what you say I'd be persistant with it. Are you giving these players training?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

darcy10.jpg

I would say he is naturally a 9/10. Almost a full back but not enough jumping and a bit short.

gwyn10.jpg

This guys dad was a backrow, his grandad was a backrow and his great grandad was a backrow but he never got the weight for it. A lot of work to turn this guy into a back (which is the only position he is heavy enough for)

louis10.jpg
    I recon this guy was designed for 6. Again just 10 kilos too light, a lot of training required to turn him into a back.

If it was my team I would keep darsi, get rid of williams (to much work required) and I would say keep astle as a back up but he has reckless discipline so tbh I would get rid of him too.

only guy out of the 3 of em is Darcy gettin 6 defence sessions under a level 2 coach in a level 2 facilities.

Thats another thing.. i have 4 players gettin 6 sessions, for example, Darcy gets 6 defence only

I see on the offsite, the lads give players 10 diff types of training, is that a better way of doin it?

only guy out of the 3 of em is Darcy gettin 6 defence sessions under a level 2 coach in a level 2 facilities.

Thats another thing.. i have 4 players gettin 6 sessions, for example, Darcy gets 6 defence only

I see on the offsite, the lads give players 10 diff types of training, is that a better way of doin it?

Yes after I think its the 3rd session in a certain attribute the effectiveness of the following sessions reduce. So that 6th session will be doing very little. My advise is 2 sessions, 3 if its very urgent

ajeffares wrote: »
    I would say he is naturally a 9/10. Almost a full back but not enough jumping and a bit short.

hmmm, I used to be of the same opinion about fullbacks (that height and jumping are important) but the more I switch around my fullback options the more I think it doesn't have much of an effect on claiming garryowens/kicks.

I would be interested on what others think. Obviously intuitively and in real life they are important, but in-game?

Oh I do agree with him being a good option at 9/10 though as well, but I wouldn't count him out as a fullback either.

Edit: Jeff is right about training, 3 sessions for a skill seems the absolute maximum to get the benefit of extra sessions. Two is more usual.

I think 4 players getting 6 sessions is a good option for a developing team in it's early stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

I'd echo AJeffres and Mar-z above, keep D'arsi and be rid of the other two... hopefully for a profit! As they have said statswise perfect backrowers, but the weight is off. they would do a job there, but if you are planning on longterm then might as well get players who will play there long term.

D'arsi could play 9/10 or 15. depending on your other options I would stick at 15 as for me his attack is not high enough for 10 leading the line etc.

• Advertisement

i said it on the offsite, that if any of u guys feels like goin thru my squad page n havin a look yer more then welcome n i can provide my details to get in n have a good look, im quite happy with my 1-10, the rest is kinda up in the air. but any help would be appriciated.

mar-z wrote: »
    hmmm, I used to be of the same opinion about fullbacks (that height and jumping are important) but the more I switch around my fullback options the more I think it doesn't have much of an effect on claiming garryowens/kicks.

I would be interested on what others think. Obviously intuitively and in real life they are important, but in-game?

Oh I do agree with him being a good option at 9/10 though as well, but I wouldn't count him out as a fullback either.

I was probably being a bit picky, he is a fine full back. Afaik the main things for claiming a high ball are handling jumping and height, but I think handling is far and away the most important.

The only reason I know for sure that jumping matters is because it says in the documentation!

ajeffares wrote: »
    I was probably being a bit picky, he is a fine full back. Afaik the main things for claiming a high ball are handling jumping and height, but I think handling is far and away the most important.

The only reason I know for sure that jumping matters is because it says in the documentation!

Fair enough. I had thought it should be important but just never really noticed a difference. It's been a while since I checked the documentation so it's good to know for sure.

Oh and Jims, if you haven't already have a look at the beginners guide thread. Posts 3 and 4 go through skills with respect to position. If you still want a hand after going through it I can have a look at your team if you want.

Maybe i should cope on n figure certain things out myself :D

Im too used to all u guys being so helpful n holding my hand whenever sumthin doesnt go right in this game!

It seems you guys are right on the two wannabe backrowers.. ill hold on to them, to fill in for the rest of the season (mgiht get a few extra pops), and get rid of em when everyone has more money then sense at the start of next season!

Ah sure half of what most of us know (or at least think we know) about the game came from asking questions or using a guide like the beginners guide. Sure in this thread ajeffares was able to confrim for me that jumping and height does matter for claiming high balls.

There is a huge amount of information to digest early on and it makes it so easy to make mistakes. If I was unsure about a position at the start I used guides like those in the beginners guide to help me decide (which is why I suggested it). You'll get to the stage soon enough where you feel confident deviate from those general guides slightly if it suits what you see happening with your team. What I will say is don't underestimate the importance of stamina, that was my biggest mistake of my first season or so.

TL;DR version: Ask away if you want help! :D

Exactly, not too long before you are answering the questions! Its a cycle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

What I will say is don't underestimate the importance of stamina, that was my biggest mistake of my first season or so.

I'm a number of seasons in, and only starting to realise that now :rolleyes:

Great advice! all very friendly n helpful! im delighted i stumbled upon this forum, while looking for a forum for MINECRAFT... anyway thats how i found this game! great community!

Great advice! all very friendly n helpful! im delighted i stumbled upon this forum, while looking for a forum for MINECRAFT... anyway thats how i found this game! great community!

DESTINY

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

I don't see the attraction in Minecraft... it's like lego, but, fake. Kinda.

• Advertisement

why did you remove the bit about drinking posting?!:pac:

Fewcifur wrote: »
    I don't see the attraction in Minecraft... it's like lego, but, fake. Kinda.

Yeah I agree, I could sorta understand if it looked realistic but it looks terrible to me.

I removed it coz love buzz's suck! The whole world was my best pal last night haha...

Then I was made watch the commitments until 4am then up for work @ 8.... Happiness deleted.

As far as mine craft goes... I never done more then install it, and my work pc couldn't run it so that was that

eoferrall wrote: »
    why did you remove the bit about drinking posting?!:pac:

If only we had a mod that could see deleted posts a re post them ;) orizio???

crazy-drunk-man.jpg

Pretty sure that's how I slept last night... I won't lie... Not feeling like a winner today

Shur of course the link wont work... Typical

crazy-drunk-man.jpg

Pretty sure that's how I slept last night... I won't lie... Not feeling like a winner today

Shur of course the link wont work... Typical

I can see the love has well and truly abandoned Jim today!

eoferrall wrote: »
    I can see the love has well and truly abandoned Jim today!

He just needs a couple of drinks and he'll be posting love messages in this thread again :p

The advantage of him having deleted that part means I can exaggerate with impunity!

you'll be waiting until ATLEAST friday so.. nah prob take it easy now for the next week! save my pennies for the Tall Ships! lovely drinkies on the Quay in Waterford!

Should be the Craic!

He just needs a couple of drinks and he'll be posting love messages in this thread again :p

The advantage of him having deleted that part means I can exaggerate with impunity!

I saw it too, he pretty much said eoferrall and Mar-z where the ****e and the best guys on boards.:cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement