Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Threat of flooding in Kildare

Options
  • 22-06-2011 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

I'm looking to buy a house at the moment and County Kildare has some nice possibilities. Given the devestation that the floods caused in late 2009 what areas would be considered high risk? Are there any aerial shots of areas affected?
    Any info would be very useful in helping me make a decision where to buy. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

What areas are you thinking of? It is a big county!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Buy on elevated ground away from the liffey and you'll be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Ratzo Rizzo

Moonbeam wrote: »
    What areas are you thinking of? It is a big county!

Yes, it is a big county with plenty of property at decent prices. It's more of a general question really, in so much as I'd like to know which areas to avoid...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

A lot of houses in Sallins flooded last year, but I think that was to do with a problem with an undersized storm drain, which has since been resolved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

prospect wrote: »
    A lot of houses in Sallins flooded last year, but I think that was to do with a problem with an undersized storm drain, which has since been resolved.

One place I'd stay away from if I were you..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63298921

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I'm in maynooth ten years and i've seen no floods.

Celbridge has seen bad floods as have parts of sallins. Kilcock has been flood free afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

not all of Celbridge only some parts, I live near enough to the liffey but our estate is raised most of the house on the arclough side didn't get flooded in 2009. One estate got flooded but its not even near liffey it has small little stream through it and also the main street got badly flooded.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Only one small area in Leixlip is ever affected, near the village. The vast majority of it is absolutely fine, most of it quite elevated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

I bought in Leixlip 2 years ago, and the insurance company told me that my area had been flooded in the last 20 yrs so they'd have the details.

If you ring one of the insurance companies, they might share the info on flooding

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

No need to ring insurance companies, all the info on floods in Ireland is located in a database maintained by the OPW and provided online here: http://www.floodmaps.ie/

Never buy a house without consulting this website.

• Advertisement

No need to ring insurance companies, all the info on floods in Ireland is located in a database maintained by the OPW and provided online here: http://www.floodmaps.ie/

Never buy a house without consulting this website.

Excellent link! Deserves to be a sticky... (...if it isn't one already!)

In general, how did Rathangan fare in the big floods of late 2009??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

Orion wrote: »

Celbridge has seen bad floods as have parts of sallins. Kilcock has been flood free afaik.

Parts of Meadowbrook/beaufield/Parson street flooded badly in winter of 2000 I think it was. My house in Meadowbrook was flooded up to the second step on the stairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Major Lovechild

Rathanganistan fared ok in the floods.

Wo ist die Gemütlichkeit?

Rathanganistan

Rathanganistan!?!?!
    Apart from potential flooding which apparently isn't too big a threat, what do I need to know about the area that it has a monicker like that?!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Orion wrote: »

You may have been away when Parson Street and Meadowbrook flooded then...

There's been works which should help with that, clearing and culverting parts of the Meadowbrook river, etc.

There were also floods to the basements on Mill Street in the early 1990s but there's been improvement works for there too. This was so long ago that the apartment buildings opposite Manor Mills didn't exist and there was a derelict shop on the site! Don't think its flooded since.

Advertisement