Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dieting = €€€

Options
  • 22-06-2011 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Is it just me or is dieting/healthy eating really expensive?

Over the past month I've been trying to eat healthily by eating fresh fruit & veg whilst controlling my carb intake.

I was disgusted to see how it's cheaper to live on pizza than it is to eat healthy.

Any tips on cost-effective healthy eating?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭UUJ_Lad

I know what you mean, I stick with a few kilo's of brown rice/pasta doesnt cost much - Can be used with pretty much anything and lasts me ages.

I think its mostly the likes of nuts etc, but a shop close to me does 300g of redskin nuts for 99p, so I buy them in bulk and put it in a container, bring it to work etc, lasts quite a while.

I just think of it as, miss a nite out that I would have been out over the month, and put that money towards healthy eating - Works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭cmyk

Probably the biggest reason 6/10 irish people are now overweight or obese is cheap, overly processed, mass produced imported foods...so yes you're right.

As for tips: Go to your butcher, buy in bulk, they'll often do deals, freeze them, and/or buy cheaper cuts of meats. As suggested you can buy nuts in bulk too. I used to use a guy called fruitfellas who delivers market fruit and veg to your door at decent prices too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

cmyk wrote: »
    As for tips: Go to your butcher, buy in bulk, they'll often do deals, freeze them, and/or buy cheaper cuts of meats. As suggested you can buy nuts in bulk too. I used to use a guy called fruitfellas who delivers market fruit and veg to your door at decent prices too.

This

my local buthcers does a freezer pack that would feed a small army for 25 notes

the rest can be picked up in aldi whos fruit and veg /nuts or of great quality

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

its only expensive if you let it be, lots of different foods are quite cheap and are easy to combine e.g.
    -frozen veg, round steak, a few spices=a nice stir fry
    -beans, curry powder rice=a handy lunch/dinner
    -cans of tomatoes and a few spices can form the main component of lots of indian meals or a chilli
    Chicken is silly cheap at the moment in centra.

Obviously you keep the number of ingredients down but simple is convenient too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

The Asian supermarkets are great for nuts, seeds and spices! There is a great one on Drury St in town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

i think the pattern we're seeing here is to shop around. dont try to do it all in one supermarket. find a setup that works, im happy with lidl right now. i get all my sweet potatoes, broccoli, bananas, tomatoes, chicken fillets, pink grapefruit,wheetabix, wholemeal bread etc. I really fill the basket and I always come away thinking I got a good deal. I get some stuff from other places to. Shop around and dont be afraid to haggle with a butcher or fruit and veg shop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Glowing wrote: »
    The Asian supermarkets are great for nuts, seeds and spices! There is a great one on Drury St in town.

Ive started going to an asian food shop for my herbs and spices-so far Ive gotten twice as much per packet for about half the price it is in a big chain

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

deffo agree on the butcher , they've soem great packages out there.

Also never buy chickhen cuts, always buy whole chickhens. so much cheaper and becauswe its on the bone you knwo its not full of chemicals/water/plasma to make it bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Even with the best deals on good food. Eating crap will still be cheaper most of the time. Especially when comparing in terms of calories

• Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

What i find useful and quite cheap is buying a big chicken on the bone from your butcher roughly around €1.50 to €2. Or else if its a full chicken for a few of ye use whatever is left over. Instead of throwing the waste in the bin or to the dog make a meal out of it. I like to make chicken soup. It does for a light meal that night or else the next day for breakfast or lunch or dinner or all 3 if it's that nice. Incase i am giving bad advice people could correct me but i think the soup i make is low fattening. Also if anybody could give advice on how to thicken it a bit.

Boil cooked chicken carcus for a few minutes.
    Strip off pices of chicken before you boil it and put in broken up small pieces of chicken.
    2 carrots, 2 onions.
    1 chicken stock cube and 1 vegetable stock cube, Maybe 2 each if you are going to make alot.
    Small drop of flour.
    Dash of ketchup.
    Small bit of pepper and mixed herbs.
    Cut up 2 potatos small
    and add in some frozen peas.

Boil for about 30 minutes and let it simmer for about 2 hours and voila. Dont look the best but its lovely the way the grandmother made it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Is it just me or is dieting/healthy eating really expensive?

Over the past month I've been trying to eat healthily by eating fresh fruit & veg whilst controlling my carb intake.

I was disgusted to see how it's cheaper to live on pizza than it is to eat healthy.

Any tips on cost-effective healthy eating?

I don't get this. I can feed myself mostly out of Aldi with a bit of Tesco, for the price of 3 large pizzas. And that's practically every meal. Every day.

You need to plan ahead and get some ideas going. Have some staples. Eating well isn't just about fruit 'n veg, though that's a major component.

As they said, shop around. There's no way it's cheaper to eat pizza than to eat clean. Unless it's frozen pizza, in which case maybe, but jaysus, could you be ar5ed?

If it is more expensive then it's still very well worth it.

Eggs - cheap, ha, and versatile. Boiled, poached, omlettes etc.
    Chicken - cheap, again ha, and versatile.
    Pulses - cheap. Versatile. Dahl or curries, feed you for a few quid for a couple days.
    Veg like brocolli, carrots, parsnips etc, cheap as chips in Aldi/Lidl. Steam them with sweet potatoes, again cheap and filling.
    Frozen fish, again Aldi is your friend. I recommend smoked haddock, but its less than 4 quid for half a kilo. And it's handy to have as staple.
    Porridge - great stuff. Very reasonably priced. Mixed with flaxseed, again cheapish outta Aldi, and natural yoghurt.
    Boil some ham for any ham moments you might have. 5 quid gets you a kilo, in....Aldi.

In fairness, it doesn't get some people salivating, but it's good value, and good to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭The High King

Glowing wrote: »

A great bunch of lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,567 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

It is pricey enough, but can you put a price on your health?

I personally have no real issue paying a reasonable for good food, look out for local farmers markets, aldi and lidl, you would have to shop around but its your health, so its worth it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Gintonious wrote: »
    It is pricey enough, but can you put a price on your health?

I personally have no real issue paying a reasonable for good food, look out for local farmers markets, aldi and lidl, you would have to shop around but its your health, so its worth it.

Plus if you go out multiple times per month, the amount you spend on one night should more than make up for the additional cos of eating healthy for the month.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 245 ✭✭montane

Eating healthy isn't cheap, but neither are anti-diabetic drugs, blood pressure meds, medical care etc to name but a few complications from being obese. Your health is everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

Going to have to disagree on this one.

Frozen veg e.g spinach, cheap and really healthy
    Eggs - cheap and healthy
    Oats cheap and healthy

The only thing that is more expensive would be good quality meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

ferike1 wrote: »
    Going to have to disagree on this one.

Frozen veg e.g spinach, cheap and really healthy
    Eggs - cheap and healthy
    Oats cheap and healthy

The only thing that is more expensive would be good quality meat.
    Nobody said every healthy food is expensive, but in general a heathly whole food diet is more expensive than eating only crap

• Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Not sure if its the healthiest but i picked up a jar of uncle bens indian hot jalfrezi curry sauce for €1.09. Got a box of 10 bags of rice for €2.50 that will last ages. Two chicken fillets for €2.20. A pepper for €0.70 Again a cheap enough meal. Although never tried hot indian curry but its 1/2 the calories i will probably be like a dragon after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,567 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

It gets me every time that people say its so expensive to eat clean etc etc.

It requires responsibility and dedication to eat "clean" or "healthy", meaning you would have to go to multiple sources to get your grub. The taste of cheaper food is also a factor, dont get me wrong, I'd murder a Dominos over broccoli or any other veg, and when you see microwave food or cook in the oven food, its easy to see why people would go for that, its easier to cook, tastes "nicer" and is cheaper.

But i say again, can you put a price on your health?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭billcullen1

I used to use a place called something along the line of fruit or fellas in Blackrock as well, oh my god, thats all I could say - as you maybe aware fruit can be got in lidl or aldi for almost half the price, plus an excellent selection of nuts and seeds. I bet Tesco is now sorry that they allowed the german discount stores access to the Irish market.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

I bet Tesco is now sorry that they allowed the german discount stores access to the Irish market.

I'm not sure they had any say in the matter tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,608 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

as you maybe aware fruit can be got in lidl or aldi for almost half the price,
    Well,it's no surprise you like the penny apples, Bill, wha'!

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭davidfitz22

I have to disagree and actually say its cheaper.
    I was a very heavy at the start of the year just bought fresh fruit from aldi. worked out cheaper to have fruit and porridge for dinner than pizza. I know there is a taboo against frozen foods but but frozen chicken breasts, you cant tell the difference when they are cooked and they are 1/2 the price of normal chicken.

If you drive make a rule that if its within 2 miles, walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chriity139

Eating healthy can be cheap too but you have to shop around. I get most of my food for 50 euro a week.

1.5kg of porridge
    10kg potatoes
    30 chicken breasts
    milk
    tuna
    36 eggs

you just have to be willing to shop around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

chriity139 wrote: »
    Eating healthy can be cheap too but you have to shop around. I get most of my food for 50 euro a week.

1.5kg of porridge
    10kg potatoes
    30 chicken breasts
    milk
    tuna
    36 eggs

you just have to be willing to shop around.

Your post reminded me of this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Costs me €30 per week for all my meals. I eat eggs for breakfast and meat & veg for lunch and dinner, with fruit and nuts for snacks. One shop a week in Aldi gets me through. I used to spend so much more when I was eating crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

1.5kg of Oats (lasts me about a month @ €2.50)
    Fresh Broccoli and Frozen Veg - €6
    4kg turkey €32
    5 sweet potatoes (€6)
    Milk - 2 blips for 2 liters.
    Eggs - 2 euro.
    Fruit - (apples and bananas) - 3 quid.

That's food prep for the week @ just over €50.

Found myself food prepping now that college has gotten so mental. I can actually just take a break, go and microwave a meal, eat it and get back to work. Easy access to actual fuel for your body > cheapo snack.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Wood

50 chicken breasts €40
    Steak €30
    Veg €15 - 20
    Spices, seasoning, maybe €10 per month

So €97.50 per week, maybe once every 5 weeks.

Anything left stays in the freezer til the following week. Nothing goes to waste. I'd average about an €60 per week until i go for the €90 top up. Good quality meat won't be cheap, but cheap meat can get you through.

I was stuck away from home last week, stayed in the girlfriends house. Ran to Lidl.

800gr Mince €3.29
    Fresh tomatoes €0.99
    Chili Flakes €0.99
    Onions, Kidney beans, Peppers €2

Total cost of 1kg of low carb chilli €7.27

Divide into meals and conquer.

Get tupperware in the €2 shop, make 3 or 4 days worth of meals on sunday, so you're now buying in bulk. Freeze it all. Take out your meals the day before.

It's only as expensive as you make it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Hanley put up a good thing about this on the Squats the story thread (I think).

If you plan in advance, I find it cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

It may be slightly cheaper to eat rubbish all the time but for two of us I spend about €80 a week. Thats for all three meals a day for the week. All organic fruit, veg and staples and the meat for himself is from a butcher (I dont eat it). All meals are planned out for Mon - Fri and we freestyle at the weekend!

We buy in bulk though - 10kgs of oats lasts us about 4 months. We also get 5kg bags of lentils and chickpeas which are handy for soups, stews and curries.

I suppose its all about what you value. I value my health and making sure I give my body good fuel. Others dont.

Advertisement