Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crates/ Travel Boxes

• 22-06-2011 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi,

As many of you know we have a red setter pup, we are currently looking for a travel crate as we do a lot of travelling in the car at the weekend & would like to bring the dog along once she is over/ if she ever gets over the travel sickness :D

Does anyone know where we can get a good deal? The pup will grow to between 21.5 ins. (55 cm) to 24.5 ins. (62 cm)

Thanks,
    Kmmh58

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

We have a wire crate and an atlas 100 - both came from zooplus. I paid €85 for the atlas and the same one was double the price in the pet shop. We had the wire crate from the time he was small but needed a second one while he was on crate rest so I went for the atlas - i find it much better and it has taken up permanent residence in the kitchen as his bed lol!!

I've found

Wire crate
    Pros
    - cheaper
    - folds flat when not in use
    - Often come with front and side opening
    - Depending on your car it might be easier to see out the back with a wire crate as it's 4 wire sides compared to the atlas
    Cons
    - Wobbly and rattles at times so can be noisy
    - Easy to catch fingers in if you're not paying attention

Atlas
    Pros
    - stronger than the wire crate
    - Wipe clean
    - Has storage boxes in the top for bits and pieces
    - Doesn't rattle in the car
    - Has more of an enclosed feel so the dog can feel more secure

Cons
    - Slightly more expensive than the wire crate (when i got mine there was €10-20 in the difference so not that much)
    - Comes apart but doesn't fold flat
    - Only has a front opening

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭kmmh58

I'll have a look at both types on Zooplus, had a look in 2 local pet stores and prices were mental for both.

I also found a guy selling these http://www.rabbitsandhutches.com/product-page-2/dog-cages-crates/dog-cage-crate-large/ there is also an xlarge size as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ferretcrazy

Hi, we got ours in argos and i would highly recommend it, the cage is designed for the boot of your car and has a slant in the back so it fits in our boot without breaking the window and a big door for our german sheperd to easly get in and out of, we looked at zooplus and we bought one from a pet shop and had to bring it back because you would have to fold the seats down and that kid of defeats the purpose, and best of all it only cost 77.99...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ferretcrazy

yea, thats the one, check the size of your boot first, i drive a suzuki ignis and it fits perfect, hope it works out.:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement