Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What shops are in or near Athenry?

Options
  • 22-06-2011 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

Hi,

We're planning on moving to Galway, and by the looks of things, Athenry will be the chosen place for different reasons.

I was just wondering, what supermarkets are there or near (short drive/bus away)? Does it have Supervalu near or LIDL?

Is there a fruit and vegetable store in the town?
    I find stores such as Centra and some family home stores too expensive compared to my current favourite ALDI and LIDL and local butchers.

Infact any interesting information or opinions on Athenry would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Looking forward to reading them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

There is a Centra store (Fahys I think) in town. Athenry also has a large discount store near the arch for household knicknacks. It also has a Fruit & Veg store. The largest supermarket is Joyces 365 store.

I don't think there's an Aldi or Lidl, but if you have a car, the Lidl store in Doughiska (Galway City East) is only 20 mins away via the new motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Athenry a good enough town - nice and quiet especially if you have lived in a city previously - couple of good butcher shops in the town(Mike Walsh and Bradys I think) - Joyces is cheap enough on the edge of the town compared to Centra....

The knick knack shop near the Arch as mentioned below is called This and That - seemingly has everything that you need in there!

Lived in Athenry for 3 years and loved it - if you need any more info post on here...

Brgds
    Johnny

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Joyces 365 is a large modern purpose built supermarket. Loads of parking, very spacious and a super range of products. Great friendly local staff also. I swear to god I have no link to them at all, I lived there for 2 years while studying at NUIG. Loved Joyces, used to go there late on a saturday night and stock up on munchies:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3 carmiep101

if you have a car you can travel via M6 to Loughrea, there's a fanstatic Supervalu and Aldi right next door to each other.

Joyces is handy for all the deals they have each week

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bubs99

Thank you so much everyone. I love knick knack stores and Joyce's seems to be great from all your comments.
    I dont drive myself but my OH does so we shall shop in the great German stores also (I love the deals in LIDL).

Thanks again everyone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement