Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog dental care

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I noticed some plaque/tartar on my guys teeth last month. I started brushing them everyday and after brushing I give him a dental/rawhide strip like these ones from zooplus I alternate with plain rawhide strips from the pet shop - you get about 4 times as many for €5 compared to the zooplus ones! The plaque cleared up after a few days of brushing but I've kept it up as it doesn't take any time and has become a bit of an evening routine for him. At first he didn't like it and ran to his hiding place under the table :rolleyes: but now he doesn't mind because he knows he's getting his treat after :D. There's before and after pics in the tread here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72343786
    I'm wary of giving him bones as he's quite a stong chewer - I'd be worried about them splintering. Also I don't want bone mess everywhere :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

If my Vet or a certain nurse is reading this they will be smiling. All three of my dogs adore eating seaweed. Now everyone, including other Vets have stressed how good it is for the dogs. But the dogs end up with green teeth :eek:. I even had the embarrassment once where, whilst one of mine was in the surgery, they removed a lump of smelly seaweed out of a tooth & presented it to me in a class bottle !.

The older dogs both have receded gums around their large molars & I a getting it in the ear for allowing them to chew seaweed. But it is the highlight of their daily walks :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

My lad eats seaweed but doesn't get green teeth! :eek: If he eats too much of a certain type he will throw it up the next day though. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Zapperzy wrote: »
    If he eats too much of a certain type he will throw it up the next day though. :eek:

Snap :D. Usually the thinner pale coloured stalks. Makes a nice slimy green surprise for bare feet first thing in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Discodog wrote: »
    Snap :D. Usually the thinner pale coloured stalks. Makes a nice slimy green surprise for bare feet first thing in the morning.

Ya that sounds like the one he throws back up alright! :D Yes it's especially lovely when it's on a big hairy mat! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement