Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Would you stop?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Other than to point and laugh? Probably but it would depend of if it's safe and I was sure they had broken down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭zoltar_boi

Sure it's hard enough to get some to wave never mind stopping to help. I suppose if the hazards were on and I wasn't traveling with the kids I'd stop and see if I could help or even just give a lift to a petrol station.

mind you, mad axe murderers might think this is a new way to trap victims :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

+1 on the wave, but yeah I would, and have done before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭T650

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 39 bo.jangles

yes. But I would be totally useless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 rockysdad

Yes. And I also carry a heavy sling just in case me or someone else gets stuck in the middle of the road and needs to be pulled into the side. :):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Not an easy question to answer.
    It would depend on the circumstances.
    Obviously broken down then yes of course. But even then it would a decision that could only be made at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mcquill

Yes, always try to stop for apparently broken down cars and bikes. Never saw a stranded MH. Used to give hitch hikers a lift also, but you never see any now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

I usually stop unless I'm on my own with the smallies in which case I'd still make sure they had a mobile phone.

Last time I saw a mh broken down was down by allihies a poor dutch guy in a humungous burstner was pushed off the road by some dub with anger management issues driving a big bmw.

When we came on the scene a local farmer who had come with the tractor to pull him out and was threatening to put the bmw in the ditch if he didn't 'f off back to dublin' great fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭elaverty

Of course i would,if they were oviously brokedown ie warning triangle,puddle of oil,puncture,or just looking to wave someone down for help.....The amount of people i callout to these days,who are brokedown and then start giveing out about other drivers passing them by,and noone stopping to see if they are ok,,,,When they havnt bothered to put there hazards on or a warning triangle up on the road to let people know they are broke down amazes me.....Specially now days with the mobile phone driveing rules,you would usually just assume that they are pulled in to talk on the phone or something and not brokedown atall.....

• Advertisement

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    following from my wandering off topic here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056300012 , would you stop if you saw a fellow MH'er pulled up on the roadside?

Why you ask anyway,,,,,, (SMILEY,SMILEY,SMILEY,SMILEY)

You should be makeing yourself usefull and working on your tips thread..(SMILEY,SMILEY,SMILEY)

Yes if they're flagging passers by for help. No problem with hitch-hikers either. Crossbow's a wee bit more effective than a sling I find...that one's still on the wish list though, a driver side window winder's more of a priority for me at the mo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭SARZY

Once helped a man change a wheel, the lump hammer I carry was really necessary to remove the wheel from the hub, when the job was done he muttered something and hopped into his camper and as Aidan might say, fcukd off.

That experience wouldnt stop me from helping a fellow camper in trouble though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

elaverty wrote: »
    Why you ask anyway,,,,,,:confused:

You should be makeing yourself usefull and working on your tips thread

um , sorry? did I say something wrong? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Had this debate a few weeks back when we saw a fellow camper in the hard shoulder. We didn't, as it was just indicators, and as we passed it was obvious they were just getting something out of the back (and they over took us soon after!).

It'd depend on the circumstances to be honest, both in (how the children are) and outside the campervan (safe to pull in with the family etc). Not sure I'd be much help anyway - that's why I pay my AA membership! I suspect we'd be much more likely to be the ones broken down, given the age of the van.

Also, I'd say it'd freak the missus out if a randomer pulled up behind her when she was broken down if she was on her own!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    um , sorry? did I say something wrong? :(

I wouldn't take any notice. That's the second time someone on this forum has asked a question and got a pretty similar reply from this poster.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72818209&postcount=2

First off the reply to Adians post was supposto be a joke,,,,sorry if it went over your head,,,,,,

The reply to the other post was a serious question,as i couldnt see any reasoning in the request,and still dont...for which im not sorry for,,,

First off the reply to Adians post was supposto be a joke,,,,sorry if it went over your head,,,,,,

The reply to the other post was a serious question,as i couldnt see any reasoning in the request,and still dont...for which im not sorry for,,,

If that was a joke, why no smilie icon after it?.

I read the post by Aidan m m as just a bit of a survey to find out what people would do.
    Why do you seem to have a problem with that?:confused:

Many of the threads on here are just idle chatter which can be fun and/or informative. I hope it stays that way.

If that was a joke, why no smilie icon after it?.

I read the post by Aidan m m as just a bit of a survey to find out what people would do.
    Why do you seem to have a problem with that?:confused:

Many of the threads on here are just idle chatter which can be fun and/or informative. I hope it stays that way.

I forgot the smiley,,,

How you can assume i have a problem with the post,with or without a
    Smiley i cant see either.....

I totally agree with you on the threads been idle chatter and informative,so thats why im gonna stop it now and not add to the direction that your takeing it....:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭WildWater

Why you ask anyway,,,,,,:confused:

You should be makeing yourself usefull and working on your tips thread

When I read it I felt it was intended as a joke. But a few smilies or big grins would have made be certain of that fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭WildWater

I should have added: yes I would stop to offer assistance (but some terms and conditions would apply).

I forgot the smiley,,,

How you can assume i have a problem with the post,with or without a
    Smiley i cant see either.....

I totally agree with you on the threads been idle chatter and informative,so thats why im gonna stop it now and not add to the direction that your takeing it....:confused:

Direction?:confused:.

Definately a good idea to stop now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

no worries , I was afraid you taken something I'd said up wrong ,and taken offence .

re the 2nd part , my reason for asking was that the other "clubs" of individuals I'm in are rally drivers/enthusiasts , classic car fans and got a passing interest through mates in motorbikes , and each of those type of groups generally stop and check if everything is ok when they see one of their ilk pulled up on the road .

Granted I wouldn't stop for someone unless it looked obvious there was a problem , ie the hazards on!

Advertisement