Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

council house needs repair.

Options
  • 22-06-2011 1:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

i have been in council house 5 years have 2 kids and expecting third in winter.. my house is over 20 years old nd so r windows and doors has no proper ventalation and my child keeps getting asthma attacks nd chest/lung infections and i know its because of house. i am on the verge of giving up house because think the council will neva bring it up to standard.. if anyone has any advice i'd really appreciate it...thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

why not rent a normal private house?

they are for buttons at the moment.
    Daft has houses for 100Euro per week in Cavan town and county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Do you have a councillor who can put some pressure on for you?
    Do you know your local guy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭jayjayxxx

seriously considerin gettin private house.. been to alot of councilers. only reason i avnt given up nd moved is because a private house doesnt feel like home so many rules about decorating etc.. we wer promised two years ago house would be renovated in 2010 nd nutin happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

How about repairing the house yourself?

wish i had the money to needs windows doors nd new kitchen plus a lot of other things

• Advertisement

i av 2 cupboards in my kitcchen nd a range that dont wrk so no heatin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

how about getting a job and earning some money instead of looking for everything for free?

Many council tenants work and pay rent you know

The house isn't for free

sorry that was a bit harsh,, im just pissed off.... ill save this for a new thread...

incidently how much does a council house cost? and what do ye have to do to get one? ive worked all my life so i probably dont deserve to get one .. anybody that i know that lives in one has never worked in their life... how do ye get one?

• Advertisement

Apply for the housing list and wait.
    Different counties have different schemes, it's not always done on time time served on the list.

A common one is points, if you have an immediate housing need you get more points. Every system is open to pull and influence from councillors and TD's despite claims that they are not.

If you are a single parent you get more points then a single man working for example

Rent is different for every person and every county, depends on income and schemes.

As for what it costs, I can't give a figure as it differs. It's a fraction what you pay a landlord though, €300 a month for a house in an estate would be typical and on the high side, that's for working tenants

right, thanks, its just on those days when i get up at 5 am to go to work to pay my taxes and prsi(pps) and do my days work, i do happen to have a spare half hour when i drive through cavan before im exhausted, it is then that i see lads leisurelly strollin bout and queuing up in the post office for their free money...i just sometimes wonder why??? why the ****j do i bother paying for everybody elses accomodation via the pps system and via the dole??

I have council house because both me and my boyfriend only works part time and with 2 kids private rent would be too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭celt262

I am a married man with a mortage and me and my wife work, we have decided not to have kids for the time being as we feel we wouldnt be able to afford to pay our bills if we had kids. We are still quiet young so there is no big panic anyway.

Does the council know that your partner lives with you and are you claiming single parent allowance?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

celt262 wrote: »
    I am a married man with a mortage and me and my wife work, we have decided not to have kids for the time being as we feel we wouldnt be able to afford to pay our bills if we had kids. We are still quiet young so there is no big panic anyway.

Does the council know that your partner lives with you and are you claiming single parent allowance?
    What business is that of yours? the OP asked about getting a house renovated, she did not open herself up for interrogation and abuse.

I'd second going to your local TD's office OP, unfortunately it's usually the best way of getting anything done in this country.

Edit: Here might be good for your question OP: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=38

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭katiebelle

jayjayxxx wrote: »
    I have council house because both me and my boyfriend only works part time and with 2 kids private rent would be too much.

You don't have to justify yourself to anyone , least of all to some of the idiots on here. Your living arrangements and state benefits are also your business and yours alone .

Keep plugging away at the council , get letters from your childs doctors . That will help. Good luck

im not on single parent allowance... yes my partner is a joint tenant...

katiebelle wrote: »
    You don't have to justify yourself to anyone , least of all to some of the idiots on here. Your living arrangements and state benefits are also your business and yours alone .

Keep plugging away at the council , get letters from your childs doctors . That will help. Good luck

You can speak for yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭katiebelle

You can speak for yourself.

Public forum I'm afraid so therefore anyone can post. You yourself jumped right in with a totally off topic post. As this is taking this topic way off course I am not going to take it any further than this you can say what you like. Apologies to the mods for aiding and abetting those who drag threads off topic.

• Advertisement

i just wanted advice from someone who knows about the standards a house is lawfully supposed to be. It's my home don't want to leave it but with baby due in winter it's a very cold house in winter months.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Meelich

Jayjay, your rights as a tenant are the same whether the landlord is the council or not. see link: http://www.cavancoco.ie/cavanweb/publish/domain/cavancoco/Default.aspx?StructureID_str=33

start first with whoever your county counsellor is - the list of them for each are is on the website above. If that doesn't help then write to your td (whatever part of the county you're in).
    Write letters including copies of sick notes for your children and asking for help. I presume you don't have a car and need to be walking distance to both your jobs? You need to mention this. But you need to be open to moving house, I think you're more likely to get a new house rather than get this one repaired to be honest, I know it's your home but even so it'd be better to be warm with a new baby. And a newer house would be cheaper to heat anyway.

best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 7 gladfly

I was about to post about my situation but now I see that I may be subject to the same abuse that the person who started the thread. I have an issue about my house and I work when I can but there is not much around, how can a single parent be r expected to pay a morgage, bills, raise her child, run a car(as living in a rural location), and repair her house on 217 euro per week + 20 euro child support. Anybody?
    I need to find helpers to help me fix it and make it warmer basically as I can no longer afford the oil. I have tried all the other avenues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

With that income you are on the threshold of supplimentary welfare allowances.
    Once on the system you can get a whole pallette of payments like the medical card, mortgage relief suppliment, back to school allowances and heating allowances.

Maybe with those payments that'd free up cash to live in a little more comfort and get the repairs done?

Thanks for the good advice, I am already on a single parent allowance, that is my income, Suppplimented occasionally by a little work which pays for the insurance and tax on my car. I do have a medical card, and I recieve a fuel allowance during the winter months. It is 20 euro extra per week. Without going into all the ins and outs of my weekly spendings, up to 40 euro now on petrol alone, I am in debt and have nothing to put aside for repairs. Yes perhaps enough for some materials but not enough to pay a person to do the work. I have tried so many avenues for years now. I no longer use oil as I simply cannot afford it and I am afraid of what damp will do to our health. I can get on the warmer home scheme but the attic is too small and so I have been told to lower the celings. Then they can insulate . I dont qualify for morgage rellief, my payments are too low though it is a good chunk of my income.

Is there nobody that will do the work for you?

I know its not right and against the law but surely there is someone out there who is on the dole who would be willing to do the work for you for a little bit of cash.

Is there nobody that will do the work for you?

I know its not right and against the law but surely there is someone out there who is on the dole who would be willing to do the work for you for a little bit of cash.

Well how much do you offer when a person has to do work for a little cash? Two problems arise. Firstly a person who knows what they are doing is essential, secondly such person is used to being paid for such work. 10 € per hour would be usual. I suppose I can ask how much it will all cost but I have had lots of advice for free already and because I already owe so much am afraid to ask for help and promise to pay later when I know the funds may not be there. I was part of a co housing group once and I went to a persons house and did work for the weekend and was fed and watered, that is really all I can offer. But I need people who know what they are doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

personally i know someone who works full time. she has had no heating for three weeks till shes gathered the money to get a new boiler. should she contact her td too. now main problem is shes always worked, took on her own mortgage and didnt get pregnant.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Dozyart

1chippy wrote: »
    personally i know someone who works full time. she has had no heating for three weeks till shes gathered the money to get a new boiler. should she contact her td too. now main problem is shes always worked, took on her own mortgage and didnt get pregnant.:rolleyes:

at least she knows were she went wrong...and sure throw in a few more :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement