Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I being unreasonable?

Options
  • 22-06-2011 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I started a new job a few weeks ago and I feel they are taking advantage of staff.

We are not given breaks most of the time, expected to work until late at night and come in early the next morning (with only 5 hours or less between shifts) and stay on well past our rostered time.

I usually stay between 30 minutes to an hour after my rostered time as I feel this is reasonable, sometimes they want us to stay over 4 hours. Do I have to stay or am I entitled to go home? Am I being unreasonable ensuring all these issues don't happen to me. I ask them for breaks, refuse to do shifts with only a couple of hours between them and won't stay longer than an hour after my time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I think the best thing for you to do is call up the Citizen Advice Bureau and find out exactly what the laws are regarding breaks/time between shifts etc. Then request a meeting with someone in HR and tell them your concerns, if you are armed with the information its harder for them to make excuses. Are they paying you for staying late?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Macker1

Lux23 wrote: »
    I think the best thing for you to do is call up the Citizen Advice Bureau and find out exactly what the laws are regarding breaks/time between shifts etc. Then request a meeting with someone in HR and tell them your concerns, if you are armed with the information its harder for them to make excuses. Are they paying you for staying late?

It sounds like there would be no HR dept in place given the state of affairs as described by the poster.

Advertisement