Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got a reserve place - do many people turn down offers?

Options
  • 22-06-2011 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

I'm first on the reserve list for the course that I want. I'm totally gutted, only two offers are made, and I'm number 3. I have to wait and see if someone turns down their offer. I've put so much hard work into my application and to be so close is just a torment now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

It really does depend on the course tbh, if it's a high demand course, particularly if it's difficult to get into, then usually no, (although this year may be different as the cost of fees and return to education may be prohibitive to some, and they may decide to defer the year). Other courses like some arts and science courses, you stand a good chance, because chances are someone will either decide it's not for them or they have the course as a back up to another choice that may become available.
    I'm not saying all hope is lost, it's not , and people do drop out, but I know from personal experience, for the high demand courses, it's unlikely (I'm on the reserve list for all 4 colleges I applied to this year and I'm in the top 1-5 for each of them, that said I was in the same position last year and still didn't get a place.)
    Good Luck and (as bad as it sounds) hope someone drops out for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Mona Olsen

Yeah - it's high demand. I know last year 3 offers were made, and 2 turned down their place. The year before all 3 offers were taken. I don't know why only 2 offers are being made this year. It would be easier if I had been given an outright rejection! At least then I could move on, but now I'm tormented waiting to see if someone gets a better offer, or can't get funding! Aaarrgghh!

Advertisement