Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wing Chun in Dublin

• 22-06-2011 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi all

Does anyone know a good Wing Chun club in Dublin?

Would be grateful for any advice

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Michael O Leary

Pokember wrote: »
    Hi all

Thanks

Hi Pokenber,

We have three schools in Dublin.
    Dublin Blanchardstown - www.wingtsun-blanchardstown.ie
    Dublin City Centre - www.wingtsunireland.com
    Dublin Finglas - www.wingtsunireland.com

Regards,

Michael

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Massimo Giorgianni

Hi all

Thanks

Hi,

Our school is in located in Synge Street ( Harcourt Luas Station ). You will find more information on the website http://wingtsun.webs.com/.

Bye,
    Massimo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Pokember

Hi Pokenber,

We have three schools in Dublin.
    Dublin Blanchardstown - www.wingtsun-blanchardstown.ie
    Dublin City Centre - www.wingtsunireland.com
    Dublin Finglas - www.wingtsunireland.com

Regards,

Michael

Hi Michael

Thanks but I used to train there but I suppose was looking for something different

Cheers

Hi Michael

Thanks but I used to train there but I suppose was looking for something different

Cheers

Hi Pokember,

No problem. I don't know if you trained with me or in the other two schools however while we are all part of the Irish Wing Tsun Organisation and teach according to the syllabus, we all have our own way of teaching and training. Some of my students go to the other schools and vice versa which means they experience more of what Wing Tsun has to offer. So you might consider trying another school in our organisation.

Alternatively you could try some of the other Wing Tsun/Chun schools in Dublin such as Massimo's.

Regards,

Michael

Hi Pokember,

No problem. I don't know if you trained with me or in the other two schools however while we are all part of the Irish Wing Tsun Organisation and teach according to the syllabus, we all have our own way of teaching and training. Some of my students go to the other schools and vice versa which means they experience more of what Wing Tsun has to offer. So you might consider trying another school in our organisation.

Alternatively you could try some of the other Wing Tsun/Chun schools in Dublin such as Massimo's.

Regards,

Michael

Hi Michael,

are the 2 other school training under the same program and degree pattern?

I met a guy training under Sifu Dragos. He trained half the time I trained but his skills and knowledge were much more advanced. How come? That 's why I pulled out of my previous school I guess..

• Advertisement

Hi Michael,

I met a guy training under Sifu Dragos. He trained half the time I trained but his skills and knowledge were much more advanced. How come? That 's why I pulled out of my previous school I guess..

Interesting...

i found a video of an instructor taht studied under Dragos where he explains that they teach Wooden Dummy, long Pole and BartJam Dao as their basics. Wooden Dummy and weapons as training methods teach so much in terms of strategy and body connections for bare-hand fight that it is normal you got overwhelmed by your friend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkBlHj46ZN0

Hi Michael,

Hi Pokember,

Yep, we all teach according the same sylabus. I personally like the format that we use. Let me give you a personal example. I was with an organisation whose emphasis was on teaching advanced Wing Tsun/Chun quickly just as Martin Dragos does. I was taught my Siu-Nim-Tau, Cham-Kiu, Biu Tze and Wooden Dummy. I also did a little of the Bart Cham Do knives. I also knew 7 sections of chi-sau, 7 sections of Biu-Tze chi-sau and a little Wooden Dummy chi-sau. However my basic level was not so good even though I was 2nd TG (Dan).

Then I met and trained with a guy from the IEWTO (Irish Wing Tsun Organisation) at one of the seminars. He was 8th student grade and he totally dominated me even though he only had two forms (Siu-Nim-Tau and Cham-Kiu) and one section of chi-sau. However he was much better at all the little things like body structure, correct pressure, etc and this has been my emphasis ever since.

I have two students who are working towards their Primary Level (Blackbelt). Since March 2010 they have been working on their 2nd, 3rd and 4th chi-sau sections. It would be so easy to teach them more advanced chi-sau and the Biu-Tze form, etc but it would take away their focus on the little things that they are working on now.

I think many organisations only teach "advanced" Wing Tsun/Chun for commercial reasons rather than it actually benefitting the students and I think it is a bit of a gimmick. Advanced Wing Tsun/Chun such as the Wooden Dummy is actually built upon movements in the more basic forms. And if you don't spend enough time on the Siu-Nim-Tau, learning the Biu-Tze is in my opinion, a waste of time.

I hope this helps. How long have you trained for? If I can give any help or advice on any aspect of your training, I will do so.

Regards,

Michael

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Cliff Notes

Hi Michael,

I will use this thread to ask my own question. I am a total beginner when it comes to martial arts, no experience whatsoever. I just moved to Dublin and want to start training something. After some research I have set my eyes to Wing Chun. Where should a 26-year-old guy like me go near Dublin city centre to have some kind of beginner class? Or does your training system work like that?

-Jussi

Hi Michael,

I will use this thread to ask my own question. I am a total beginner when it comes to martial arts, no experience whatsoever. I just moved to Dublin and want to start training something. After some research I have set my eyes to Wing Chun. Where should a 26-year-old guy like me go near Dublin city centre to have some kind of beginner class? Or does your training system work like that?

-Jussi

Hi Cliff,

I will try and keep this as succient as possible. In many martial arts you can have a class of 20, 30, 40 people in one class. The problem is that sometimes beginners can feel like they are thrown in at the deep end and advanced students feel bored due to teaching to the lowest common denominator.

Wing Tsun is different in that we have 12 student programmes so potentially the teacher can teach 12 different classes in one night. This means that the classes are not so big and the need for a beginners class is not so great. The Dublin City Centre school does not have specific beginners classes however the class is broken up into beginners and more advanced with seperate instructors looking after the seperate groups.

I have beginners classes and they take place at the same time as the intermediate/advanced class. They work off a different syllabus which is constantly being tweaked and have designated instructors looking after them.

I hope this answers your question. If not, feel free to question more as I try to be upfront about everything.

Regards,

Michael

Hi Pokember,

Yep, we all teach according the same sylabus. I personally like the format that we use. Let me give you a personal example. I was with an organisation whose emphasis was on teaching advanced Wing Tsun/Chun quickly just as Martin Dragos does. I was taught my Siu-Nim-Tau, Cham-Kiu, Biu Tze and Wooden Dummy. I also did a little of the Bart Cham Do knives. I also knew 7 sections of chi-sau, 7 sections of Biu-Tze chi-sau and a little Wooden Dummy chi-sau. However my basic level was not so good even though I was 2nd TG (Dan).

Then I met and trained with a guy from the IEWTO (Irish Wing Tsun Organisation) at one of the seminars. He was 8th student grade and he totally dominated me even though he only had two forms (Siu-Nim-Tau and Cham-Kiu) and one section of chi-sau. However he was much better at all the little things like body structure, correct pressure, etc and this has been my emphasis ever since.

I have two students who are working towards their Primary Level (Blackbelt). Since March 2010 they have been working on their 2nd, 3rd and 4th chi-sau sections. It would be so easy to teach them more advanced chi-sau and the Biu-Tze form, etc but it would take away their focus on the little things that they are working on now.

I think many organisations only teach "advanced" Wing Tsun/Chun for commercial reasons rather than it actually benefitting the students and I think it is a bit of a gimmick. Advanced Wing Tsun/Chun such as the Wooden Dummy is actually built upon movements in the more basic forms. And if you don't spend enough time on the Siu-Nim-Tau, learning the Biu-Tze is in my opinion, a waste of time.

I hope this helps. How long have you trained for? If I can give any help or advice on any aspect of your training, I will do so.

Regards,

Michael

Hi Michael ,
    Thanks for the answers. In a way, we had the same experiences: though having a more advanced level according to our degrees we got beaten up by better trained guys. Also, I would not call my friend’s organisation commercial cos I‘m convinced it clearly has excellent basic standards

• Advertisement

Hi Michael ,
    Thanks for the answers. In a way, we had the same experiences: though having a more advanced level according to our degrees we got beaten up by better trained guys. Also, I would not call my friend’s organisation commercial cos I‘m convinced it clearly has excellent basic standards

No problem. :-)

Another thing to consider is that I have some students in my class who even though they have only trained half as long as other students in the class, they are better. Some people are talented, some put in more hours, etc and it doesn't have to come down to the organisation but the student. The greatest advice I can give is for a student to be an active rather than a passive learner.

Why don't you come out to me and I will give you a free private lesson and we can work on what ever areas you feel that you are lacking?

Regards,

Michael

Hi Michael ,

As for any other MA, there are no shortcuts to learn Wingtsun, meaning that it requires time and constant practice to understand it..

Now , regardless of how fast some students can integrate WT, it s true that some training methods/syllabus seem less efficient than others. To me keeping alive a traditional martial art also means to spot rooms for improvement in the training methods and I would encourage any WT/WC practicioner to cross-train regularly with other schools..

Advertisement