Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Email Server Software

Options
  • 22-06-2011 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

May not be the right place for this. Mods if not, can you please redirect.
    Here in a small office we use 5 work stations feeding of a Dell Optiplex GX520 as a server. The opti has Windows Server 2000(SErv PK 4) installed. Could anyone recommend any email package to install which would allow us to create our own email address. ie:jimkil@cwk.ie
    Thanks in advance
    Keep it simple IT is not my forte.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

what kind of IT budget you have in mind ?... or in bank ! :)

any solutions (and i have at least 4 'flying' around ) are based on cost...

regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭leviathon

Hey

For that many users I wouldn't think you would need to bother with a server based email system. You can get a domain name from any of the main providers - blacknight,letshost etc for less than 100 per year, those will come with email addresses you can set up. That sorts the addresses out. If you have microsoft office you can use outlook as your email package then on each individual pc and configure those to pull in the mail directly via pop mail (The domain provider should give you simple instructions on how to do this).

Is there any specific reason you want to have it on the server?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭JDxtra

As above, keep your email hosted. Don't install it on that "server" (which is actually an ancient PC with no redundancy).

By the way, support for Windows 2000 ended last year so you should be looking at other options for what ever that is currently doing for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Your using a Dell Optiplex GX520 as server. By now these PC's are going to be on there last legs. You shoud be considering moving as much as possible to the cloud or buy a cheap old server PowerEdge 2600 or something for 200/300 euro which is built to last. We have five running in remote offices for years now with zero problems.

Bottom line make sure you have a full backup of all your software on the Dell Optiplex GX520.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

A nice HP ML110 G6 would do the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭francois

Jimkil wrote: »
    Here in a small office we use 5 work stations feeding of a Dell Optiplex GX520 as a server. The opti has Windows Server 2000(SErv PK 4) installed. Could anyone recommend any email package to install which would allow us to create our own email address. ie:jimkil@cwk.ie
    Thanks in advance

Forget win2k and the dell
    If you have 5 in the office you'd be better off getting a hosted solution, it will work out cheaper, you will need to register a domain name and MX record to have your own email address, though the hosting company will do that for you if you don't have one already

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

OP
    You should look here.
    http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/business/gmail.html
    Takes a lot of costs, maint and issues out of the equation.
    Sorry, I didnt have the chance earlier to go through the benefits of this.
    You are a very small set up. Its exceptionally difficult to justify purchasing hardware/software/maintenance and installation costs as well as issues with functionality when you don't have a dedicated IT guy.
    You can deal directly with google who can provide a username@yourcompany.ie address to all you staff with most of the snazzy stuff you would get with all the fancy products, include remote access to email (access from anywhere in the world) mobile device support out of the box, backup out of the box and 99%+ uptime. You dont have to worry about anything bar paying the annual bill which would be a very very very very small fraction of your own setup.
    A number of colleges are using Google mail services (D.C.U for example) and a number of small business.
    Save your money for expanding the business, keep the IT costs low initially, us products such as this, VoIP (skype etc) to get on yer feet. Even an expanding business can continue to use google services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Jimkil wrote: »
    Thanks in advance

my one penny...

-get a entry level server hardware,around €1000 with raid drives.
    -get SBS2008 and use the built-in Exchange server,maxim €500
    -get a medium level backup solution,let's say 200-300GB tape OR Disk2Disk with associated software,around €1000
    -get all these beauties installed,configured in maxim 2 days at a reduced rate of ...via PM.
    -take care of your business,look after yourself and have a life...as well,nice numbers in the bank for the next 6 years !

leave IT management on the IT guy ! :)

cloud...hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Slim Shady

Unless you want to be managing the server everyday don't use exchange and besides it makes you use outlook which is ugly. You can get a domino server express cheap enough and use notes which IMOP is a better email client plus you can upgrade to a full domino server if you want to have applications etc on the server. Domino is an install and forget solution and exchange is not. I don't mean you never have to check it but check is much less frequent that with with exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,312 ✭✭✭markpb

Slim Shady wrote: »
    You can get a domino server express cheap enough and use notes which IMOP is a better email client

I've never met a user who liked using or T1/T2 support engineer who liked supporting Lotus Notes as an email client.
    rolion wrote: »
    leave IT management on the IT guy ! :)

Do many companies with five PCs have an IT guy? External support contract maybe but not an in-house IT guy.

I'd lean towards a hosted solution too - it takes a lot of the time and effort out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Hosted gmail with your own domain should be fine.

and to clear it up the cloud is just the hippist way of saying "on the internet" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

ntlbell wrote: »
    ...the cloud is just the hippist way of saying "on the internet" :)

Agreed, it's great marketing BS.

Advertisement