Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currency Exchange

Options
  • 22-06-2011 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

I been over and back to the UK for the past 6 years working.

I've managed to save up £7,000 in cash, now i'm finished visiting the UK i would like to get it changed.

What's the best way about it, I feel a bit uncomfortable bringing it to the bank and saying heres £7k please change it to Euros is there a currency broker I can bring it to or is the bank the best way to go?

how do i get the best exchange rate

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭user1842

I would setup a xe.com currency account and do it that way. A good way to get the best rate.

Or if you can find a student as I think AIB give commission free FX to students.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

I've used currencyfair and found it grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭jacknife

Thanks for that info

The only problem is none of them do cash transactions, that's my problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭user1842

jacknife wrote: »
    Thanks for that info

The only problem is none of them do cash transactions, that's my problem

Can you not lodge it to a UK account and do an electronic transfer to xe or whatever you choose. Thats if you have a UK bank account. I assume you have due to your 6 years travel back and forth.

Also why are you keeping 6 grand in cash. Sounds risky to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭jacknife

Can you not lodge it to a UK account and do an electronic transfer to xe or whatever you choose. Thats if you have a UK bank account. I assume you have due to your 6 years travel back and forth.

Also why are you keeping 6 grand in cash. Sounds risky to me.

That's the thing, I was over maybe once or twice a month got paid about £200 or £300 per day

I saved a bit here and there with an idea of an currency investment, now the work has dried up, as I'm a non UK resident I can't open an account

I've no problem going to my own bank it's just the explaination and funny looks, I know I'm not going to make much on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Just bring it to your own branch. I'd be cheeky enough myself to ask for a deal on it. You could possibily get a better rate and no commission. No harm in trying. I'd say you'd get between 8k to 8500 for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭random.stranger

Another option might be to open a sterling account in your local branch & then use xe.com to convert.

If you decide to convert it in your branch:
    I remember asking about this a few years back & was told the banks will offer better rates for larger amounts. Don't be afraid to shop around.

Advertisement