Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIT Access Service Orientation Week (HEAR Programme)

Options
  • 22-06-2011 3:21pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I realise no one will know exactly where they will end up until they get their results and course offers, but if anyone has applied to DIT under the HEAR programme, I'd just like to let ye know that I'm a Student Leader for the Access Service next year, so if anyone has any questions about the Access Service in DIT in General or about the Orientation Week, leave a comment on this thread or send me a PM and I'll do my best to help.

Best of luck with your results/college offers

Dan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

I'm after applying for DIT, Event Management, on Cathal Brugha St. as a HEAR applicant!

I've only ever been to Dublin twice, and any time I email the accommodation office, they email back linking to their site for info, but there's nothing there.. Have you any tips on what I should do?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    I'm after applying for DIT, Event Management, on Cathal Brugha St. as a HEAR applicant!

I've only ever been to Dublin twice, and any time I email the accommodation office, they email back linking to their site for info, but there's nothing there.. Have you any tips on what I should do?

Hi Noel.

First off, hope u get your place!

As for accommodation, I'm still living at home so I'm not too sure about it. Any of my mates who do live away from home all live in private accom. I'd say your best bet would be to get on to daft.ie and have a look at their student section. Another place that might work for u is the student accom at NCI, that isn't too far from CB street.

If you live far from dub, and are gonna have to stay up for the orientation programme, it starts on Monday 5th of Sep.

Hope that helps, and hope to see u in September!
    Dan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Thanks! :)

Yeah it's just the whole accommodation thing that's turning me off DIT.. it's just so hard to decide on it!

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Thanks! :)

Yeah it's just the whole accommodation thing that's turning me off DIT.. it's just so hard to decide on it!

No prob. As I said, anything else you need just send me a PM

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭ak4

hello :)
    is there any additional grants given by dit access service ?
    the fact that dcu offer a grant is the main reason i am going to choose it over dit

• Advertisement

ak4 wrote: »
    hello :)
    is there any additional grants given by dit access service ?
    the fact that dcu offer a grant is the main reason i am going to choose it over dit

Yep there is.

What happens is, the DIT Access Service has a set budget every year. They use this to pay everything they need to pay, like the Orientation Week, Grinds for students etc etc, then what ever is left over gets divided among all the Access Students.

Last year it was about €1,100, however this year the budget has been cut a bit, so it wont be as much - probably about €800, but no one knows for sure yet.

You get the grant in 3 installments, ~40% at the start of the year and after Christmas, and ~20% at Easter.

Just thought I'd bump this, since results are out on Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Martina_420

Hi Dan

I don't know if you remember me but I was a leader at the Orientation last year! :) Well done on getting accepted you are going to have a fantastic week it is great fun and well I shall be back there in the room again but this time as a first year again! What have you guys lined up for this year? And do you know who the other leaders are?

Back as a first year, how'd ya manage that one.

Well you'll be happy to know that it starts at 10am this year, not at 9!

Other than that it's kinda the same, just with little differences. And there is an extra class that has been added but for the life of me I can't think of the name of it. It'll be on the timetable that's sent out in the next week or so.

Yeah I have met all the other leaders, but I'm not gonna put their names up here!:D There is a couple who were there last year so there'll be a few friendly faces!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Martina_420

Aww thanks leaving it as a surprise for me! I won't be there for the full week anyway just popping in and out. You are so lucky though that was an epic week as a leader!

• Advertisement

Aww thanks leaving it as a surprise for me! I won't be there for the full week anyway just popping in and out. You are so lucky though that was an epic week as a leader!

Yeah I'm looking forward to it now. Just so ye all know, I'm the one who did the bulk of the organising for the Treasure Hunt, so ye can thank me for it's awesomeness :). I might even through up a hint on Boards about it. I'd like to see some boardsies winning it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭paul4green

Hey :D , I was accepted via HEAR to DIT (wooo)

I was just wondering .. what does the orientation programme involve?

what do we do ?

thanks Grand

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭liambob1

You meet people, get talks from SU and about budgeting play icebreakers and games go places see things network and overall have fun :-D its a fantastic week and you will make lots of friends

paul4green wrote: »

what do we do ?

thanks Grand

S'up,

You'll get a pack in the post soon enough with a timetable of events, that'll give you a pretty good idea.

Basically, you'll meet loadsa people, you'll do some workshops on different things, fun activities (like a treasure hunt around Dublin). You'll also get a tour of your Campus (with me if you're in Aungier Street). You'll also be doing a project/presentation. You'll have two days to do the project, one practice run and then you'll deliver your presentation. Oh and there is the ice-breakers, childish? Yes, but their great craic and they do work.

My name is Dan by the way, so if you see me there say hi.

what do we do ?

thanks Grand

S'up,

You'll get a pack in the post soon enough with a timetable of events, that'll give you a pretty good idea.

Basically, you'll meet loadsa people, you'll do some workshops on different things, fun activities (like a treasure hunt around Dublin). You'll also get a tour of your Campus (with me if you're in Aungier Street). You'll also be doing a project/presentation. You'll have two days to do the project, one practice run and then you'll deliver your presentation. Oh and there is the ice-breakers, childish? Yes, but their great craic and they do work.

Do you know what happens in terms of Registration charge for HEAR students?

I know for sure I cannot afford it :|

Being a HEAR student has absoultely no effect whatsoever on registration. Aside from the fact that if you are elgible for HEAR you are usually also elgible for Grants. But the two are independent of each other. So make sure you apply for the grants

liambob1 wrote: »
    Being a HEAR student has absoultely no effect whatsoever on being a registration. Aside from the fact that if you are elgible for HEAR you are usually also elgible for Grants. But the two are independent of each other. So make sure you apply for the grants

Yeah definitely,

just to back up what liambob1 said. The HEAR programme doesn't have any impact on the €2000 reg fee. However, the criteria for HEAR and the County Council Grant are very similar, if you're entitled to one, chances are you're entitled to the other.

Every day during Orientation we will be drilling it in to apply for your Local Authority Grant every day, so you won't forget, we wont let you. You should really start getting your stuff together now tho.

Yeah definitely,

just to back up what liambob1 said. The HEAR programme doesn't have any impact on the €2000 reg fee. However, the criteria for HEAR and the County Council Grant are very similar, if you're entitled to one, chances are you're entitled to the other.

Every day during Orientation we will be drilling it in to apply for your Local Authority Grant every day, so you won't forget, we wont let you. You should really start getting your stuff together now tho.

hey thanks. I rang the Access service today, they were very helpful. I already have applied for my grant :D, submitted documents and now just have to get a few documents signed in DIT :D , so hopefully it works out soon :D

Can't wait to start :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Snoish

Woo, couldn't believe when I got accepted to DIT via HEAR :D

It'll be my first time in Dublin too, looking forward to it!

Anyway, what exactly does the project work and presentation entail? No idea what I should be doing :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12 DenOfIniquity

I only sent out the slip and the page of terms and conditions by post today. What if it does not reach the office by Monday, as it is Friday, will I be in a lot of trouble? It is noted in the letter that the deadline is the 29th of August. I have, however, already accepted the DIT offer on CAO website on Monday, when the offers were issued... :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 haxer

I only sent out the slip and the page of terms and conditions by post today. What if it does not reach the office by Monday, as it is Friday, will I be in a lot of trouble? It is noted in the letter that the deadline is the 29th of August. I have, however, already accepted the DIT offer on CAO website on Monday, when the offers were issued... :confused:

I am in the Exact same predicament as you buddy, I just sent mine off today also. I say it shouldent be much of a problem considering we already accepted our places, it will probably just arrive an hour or so late.

out of curiosity what course you doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 DenOfIniquity

haxer wrote: »
    I am in the Exact same predicament as you buddy, I just sent mine off today also. I say it shouldent be much of a problem considering we already accepted our places, it will probably just arrive an hour or so late.

out of curiosity what course you doing?

Phew, at least I'm not the only one. :D
    Journalism! What about you? :p

Phew, at least I'm not the only one. :D
    Journalism! What about you? :p

Cool, you'll be on RTE news yet ;)
    Automation Engineering myself :D

Hey guys, if ye are talking about the slip from he CAO don't worry about it, you need to accept either online or by post. No need to do both.

As for the project / presentation, don't worry about it at all. it's basically just to get you used to talking to a crowd and working in a team, something you'll likely be doing a lot of! you'll either be given a topic or be allowed pick one yourself. You could pick it yourself last year but we were talking about changing that at one of the planning sessions. Not sure weather it was changed or not!

So yeah anyway, basically don't worry about it one bit.

what do we do ?

thanks Grand

S'up,

Also, meant to say, when you register online for you're course, you will be given the option to declare that you have applied for a grant. Once you do that you will be able to register and get your student card, access online/library services etc.

It will say that you owe €2000 but ignore it. Once your'd grant is approved, bring proof of the decision to the fees and grants office (in rathmines) and they will bill your local authority instead.

Also, meant to say, when you register online for you're course, you will be given the option to declare that you have applied for a grant. Once you do that you will be able to register and get your student card, access online/library services etc.

It will say that you owe €2000 but ignore it. Once your'd grant is approved, bring proof of the decision to the fees and grants office (in rathmines) and they will bill your local authority instead.

Rathmines? Don't you just go to your student services center? I know that It was Mount Joy Square last year for the Northside campuses. Unless they changed it.. AGAIN. The year before last you just brought it to your site office

Rathmines? Don't you just go to your student services center? I know that It was Mount Joy Square last year for the Northside campuses. Unless they changed it.. AGAIN. The year before last you just brought it to your site office

Yeah apparently. I went into the reg office in ast and they told me to go to the fees and grants office in rathmines. I love how they change things and don't tell us.

Hi just wondering what we need to bring to the orientation, do we need notepads, pens etc?, do I need to bring a school bag? as much information as possible please.. thanks

Hi just wondering what we need to bring to the orientation, do we need notepads, pens etc?, do I need to bring a school bag? as much information as possible please.. thanks

I'm meeting the guys on Friday so I'll have full details for you then, but from what i remember a pen and a refil pad will do you fine. A bag is a good idea, it'll give you somewhere to leave your stuff when its not needed.

If you forget anything tho don't worry, well look after yas!

Oh you'll get a got meal every day you're there too so don't be worrying about food either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Barboron

Being a HEAR student has absoultely no effect whatsoever on registration. Aside from the fact that if you are elgible for HEAR you are usually also elgible for Grants. But the two are independent of each other. So make sure you apply for the grants

This is not necessarily true, I am an Access student also but did not get the registration grant as I had a sibling in college already. If you have a dependent in your household going to college then the income allocation is bumped up but I was still denied the grant.

as for this, you are supplied with a folder, pen, paper and the orientation program time table

Anyone goin' into first year of the orientation program, you will definitely be gettin' to know me. I'll be running a peer mentoring scheme that is in the access service which groups 1st year students with other students to help guide them and provide information

Advertisement