Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employer paying less than Minimum Wage - In cash

Options
  • 22-06-2011 3:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

My dd had an interview for a job in a showjumping yard. She was offered €200 cash for 66 hours per week (11 hours x 6 days). She turned it down - reluctantly because she is currently existing on €82 per week. I am so mad about this on her behalf, and hundreds like her, who will decide that they have to take jobs like this. This is the second yard that has offered the same 'pay', the other also taking rent for accommodation on-site out of the €200. Obviously no social welfare benefits, insurance, etc. I want to report him for exploitation, fraud, etc. Who do you report these people to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I heard thats pretty normal in that sector, a girl I knew ended up emigrating to Uganda and she actually gets paid more there than here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

€200 pw is medieval , I bet there are people living with their parents so they can afford to work such jobs.

Eventually some get increases through joining the jockey or eventing circuit but not all people get that far.

People should be paid a decent wage for real work done and looking after horses and other living things is real work.........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

the cheapskate probably expected her to commit welfare fraud at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

NERA is the place to report breaches of employee law.

www.nera.ie

The revenue office is the place to report possible tax avoidance.

I would have no quams about reporting the place.

Though they probably have it set up as 'a training position', even though they are still probably avoiding keeping time sheets, paying holidays and employers PRSI.

And just think, these business are getting TAX breaks for the government!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Report them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement