Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skype Video Call Interview - American Interviewer

Options
  • 22-06-2011 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Got through to the second round of an interview with a multinational company. First interview was in their office in Dublin. The position is for an Account Manager/Customer Care dealing with one big client in Galway and a number of smaller accounts. The company manufactures consumables for the IT industry.

Their head office is based in California and I have been told my prospective manager is based there and would like to have a Skype video call for the second round interview.

Also, the company is Chinese owned (they manufacture there) and the first round interview was with a lovely Chinese man but the question were a little different than any interviews I've been to before. The person from California also has a Chinese name.

So my point/question is - does anyone have expereince of this type of interview? Anyone know any differences with American and/or Chinese interviewers? Any advice is appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Various bits of advice

Wear a base (shirt) color that contrasts with your hair - if you have blonde hair for example, wear a dark blue... if you have black hair go for a white or light colored shirt. Add a tie or scarf of complimentary color - ONE. NO earings or noise making jewelry, no gum, no coffee (obviously)... two lights. One behind your monitor and one to the side of you - on your good side. Put the camera to either your right or left corner of the top of your monitor... depending on your best side... adjust the lighting so it's not in your eyes. LOOK in the webcam during the interview - not at your monitor. Keep your hands down and still. Simple hair. Minimal makeup. Don't apologize, defend or explain yourself too much - just answer the questions briefly and only that question. Know about who is interviewing you (company) - smile and don't forget to thank them for the interview and ask "when next you might be contacted"... that's about it. Oh, nothing in the background, no kids, tv, food - nothing... silence. No phones ringing etc... and goodluck.

And

First off, realize that we perceive people differently through a camera than we do in person. Bill McGowan, a former news anchor who now trains people to go on TV, starts his list of pointers with lighting: whether you're sitting in your kitchen or an office borrowed from a friend, make sure there's no bright light (like from a window) behind you. That will only darken your face. When your interviewer is talking, it's fine to look at his image on the screen, but when you answer, look at the camera. That's how to make "eye contact." Avoid wearing patterns and the color white, since we notice white spots on a screen first — you want your interviewer drawn to your teeth and eyes, not to your shirt. And don't forget that what's behind you is visible too. "It's best to put away the Mad Men bar," says McGowan.

Next, think about framing. Sitting flush with a plain white wall will make you look like you're in a police lineup, so angle your knees to the corner of your computer screen, and then turn your head slightly back to look at the camera. Sit tall in your chair, but not too close to the camera: the first three buttons of your shirt should be visible, or else you risk looking like a floating head, counsels Priscilla Shanks, a coach for broadcast journalists and public speakers. Most important, do a dry run with a friend to check your color, sound and facial expressions — neutral often comes off as glum onscreen.
    (See pictures of vintage computers.)

After all that, don't forget that this is still a job interview. Even though you're not meeting face to face, dress as though you are. When you "walk in," have your résumé ready — this time, as an e-mail attachment. And don't forget to do all the standard prep work. Are you ready to talk about your greatest weakness? "This adds another layer, but people will still expect you to be prepared to have a conversation with them," says career counselor Judith Gerberg.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1930838,00.html#ixzz1Q22uJsxA

And:
    1. When you are asked to do a Skype interview, remember it won’t be too much different from an in-person interview. You still need to communicate your top skills and experiences by answering the questions truthfully like you would in person. However, after being on both the hiring and hiree side of a Skype job interview, I’ve learned a few things I’d like to pass along.
    2. Before the interview, ask who should call who. If you need to reach out and make the initial call, be sure you have the correct phone number.
    3. Find a properly lighted area. This can be more challenging than it sounds, and even if you get it right from what you can see, it might not be perfect based on the other person’s screen. Do the best you can, and have an adjustable light in the room. When the interview begins, ask the other if he/she can see you clearly and adjust the light if needed.
    4. Alternate eye contact between your webcam and your screen. When talking to someone through video chat, it’s easy to look only at your screen, where you can see the other person. However, on most webcams, this will make it seem like you’re always looking down. While the interviewer will probably understand why you’re always looking down, if you look mostly at the web cam rather than the screen, it will come off that you are making eye contact. It’s hard to get used to, but it shows you are more comfortable with newer technologies and how they work.
    5. Make sure you have a working microphone and headphones in if necessary. Just as you should test out your video connection before beginning, you should test out your incoming and outgoing audio. In this context, picture without sound wouldn’t be very helpful.
    6. Tell others you live or work with that you’ll be doing the Skype job interview. When I did a couple Skype job interviews from home and my mom was also at home during that time. Not only would she know to steer clear of my space at this time, but she could also help to keep the dog from barking, an interruption that, no matter how uncontrollable, could cost a job.
    7. Sit somewhere comfortable that will force you to stay sitting upright and looking professional. Just like in an in-person interview, avoid fidgeting or slouching. No matter how harmless, these actions will take away from the professional nature of the conversation.

http://corporette.com/2010/02/25/how-to-put-your-best-self-forward-during-a-skype-interview-or-conference-call/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Taking an Interview for a Job in China--forget cultural differences and be yourself Author:David Scott,Ruth Anderson Date:2010/01/15.

Some General Stuff:

• Appearance
    • Conservative suits for men with subtle colors are the norm.
    • Women should avoid high heels and short sleeved blouses. The Chinese frown on women who display too much.
    • Subtle, neutral colors should be worn by both men and women.
    • Casual dress should be conservative as well.
    • Men and women can wear jeans. However, jeans are not acceptable for business meetings.
    • Revealing clothing for women is considered offensive to Chinese businessmen.

• [*]Behavior
    • Do not use large hand movements. The Chinese do not speak with their hands. Your movements may be distracting to your host.
    • Personal contact must be avoided at all cost. It is highly inappropriate for a man to touch a woman in public.
    • Do not point when speaking.
    • To point do not use your index finger, use an open palm.
    • It is considered improper to put your hand in your mouth.
    • Avoid acts that involve the mouth.
    • Gift giving is a very delicate issue in China - See international business gift giving.
    • It is illegal to give gifts to government official however; it has become more commonplace in the business world.
    • It is more acceptable to give gifts either in private or to a group as a whole to avoid embarrassment.
    • The most acceptable gift is a banquet.
    • Quality writing pens as considered favored gifts.
    • The following gifts and/or colors are associated with death and should not be given:
    • Clocks
    • Straw sandals
    • A stork or crane
    • Handkerchiefs
    • Anything white, blue or black
    • Always arrive on time or early if you are the guest.
    • Do not discuss business at meals.
    • Do not start to eat or drink prior to the host.
    • As a cultural courtesy, you should taste all the dishes you are offered.
    • Sample meals only, there may be several courses.
    • Never place your chopsticks straight up in your bowl. By placing your sticks upright in your bowl your will remind your host of joss sticks which connotes death.
    • Do not drop the chopsticks it is considered bad luck.
    • Do not eat all of your meal. If you eat all of your meal, the Chinese will assume you did not receive enough food and are still hungry.
    • Women do not usually drink at meals.
    • Tipping is considered insulting, however the practice is becoming more common.

[*]
    • Communications
    • Bowing or nodding is the common greeting; however, you may be offered a handshake. Wait for the Chinese to offer their hand first.
    • Applause is common when greeting a crowd; the same is expected in return.
    • Introductions are formal. Use formal titles.
    • Often times Chinese will use a nickname to assist Westerners.
    • Being on time is vital in China.
    • Appointments are a must for business.
    • Contacts should be made prior to your trip.
    • Bring several copies of all written documents for your meetings.
    • The decision making process is slow. You should not expect to conclude your business swiftly.
    • Many Chinese will want to consult with the stars or wait for a lucky day before they make a decision.
    • Present and receive cards with both hands.
    • Never write on a business card or put it in your wallet or pocket. Carry a small card case.
    • The most important member of your company or group should lead important meetings. Chinese value rank and status.
    • Develop a working knowledge of Chinese culture.
    • Allow the Chinese to leave a meeting first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 JeanneR

Speaking from the American interviewer/interviewee (I've done both) point of view - if your manager is more "American" than Chinese...he'll likely ask the standard questions (weaknesses, where do you see yourself in 5 years - popular ones also include "tell me a time when...." and can end with things like "you didn't get along with your coworker"). Because the company is based in California (which is where I am - San Diego), we have fairly strict rules about what can and cannot be asked in an interview. Things like "are you married?" or "do you have kids?" aren't allowed - it may be the position you're interviewing for has long hours or travel and those answers (yes to either) could bias the interviewer against you (since you'd be more likely to have other commitments outside of work). Questions on religion or your sexual orientation are both out - for obvious reasons. This site has sample questions, including the illegal ones: http://www.jobinterviewquestions.org/questions/interview-questions.asp

The color/lighting/position tips were spot-on...though I'm not sure that all the cultural ones are quite necessary. Depending on where in California he is, the dress standards vary - LA is more formal than San Diego, though a suit is a pretty standard interview uniform. I'd suggest a jacket with a nice button down shirt or sweater - and yes, avoid anything too low-cut or sheer. Remember - he can't see you from the waist down, so if you don't have a jacket, you can borrow one - you don't need the whole suit.

I'm actually trying to go the other way - I'd like to move to Ireland/Europe...if you have any tips on employers there, I'd appreciate any info you're willing to share.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 nocheerleader

Thanks folks, loads of information there :)
    I have the interview later today and I will definitely be putting your advice to good use!!

@JeanneR what industry are you trying to get into over here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 JeanneR

I'm currently working for our local gas & electric utility, mainly in the energy efficiency group, though I've done HR and supply management type functions here. I've also got experience in biotech and retail management (not store level, but mall management). Plus a few other things sprinkled in for good measure....I don't have any specific industry requirements/aversions. I do Marketing/Communications/brand management type stuff (that's what my education's in as well). Does that help? Mainly I'm stuck in the circle of "need a permit to get a job, need a job to get a permit"...the first agency I talked to wasn't exactly friendly nor helpful, once she discovered I don't have a permit yet. :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement