Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic insulation run, who's in?

Options
  • 22-06-2011 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Just an idea folks,

The winters are clearly getting colder if the last two are anything to go by. I have been keeping an eye on the DIY forum and they tell me that attic insulation is very cheap up north due to gov't incentives at source. See this thread as an example

I was wondering if any of you in the locality (Sligo, Roscommon, Mayo, Leitrim) were interested in getting together to do an insulation run to the north? We'd need a van and or trailer and a few participants. I think insulation is in the region of £3-£5 a roll up there. I will need to confirm this but that can be done easily. A second layer of insulation in the attic will affect the winter fuel bill. It's one of the most cost effective forms of insulation investment you can do to your home. Hell, I'm a tenant, I don't even own my home but am willing to pay for the insulation if it's cheap enough as it'll save me in the long run.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

Feck me that is cheap.

Tis a good idea but afraid I'm insulated to the max as it is.

Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Yeah, there's some gov't incentive in the UK for encouraging uptake on loft insulation. I think all the major stores stock at least one brand that is subsidised although in some cases they label it as "sale" or "clearence" special.

Examples
    Homebase, 170mm roll £3

B&Q 200mm Roll, £3

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Have van, will drive!

woo hoo :D

what about this, lets say we give it a few days to see if we can get a few on board. I dunno, 4 or 5 people? Then we take the orders, do the run and redistribute say in sligo? Perhaps everyone contributes towards diesel. I'll happily go with you as wing man and jobsbody.

This is just an idea, feel free to improve on or add to

EDIT: btw fingers, you're under no obligation to take me with you. You might want to travel alone or bring your own friends. No worries whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Gipo3

It says on B&Q site that its not available in Northern Ireland.
    The B&Q Rolls are 200mm but only cover 5.5sqm
    On Homebase site it says that different offers apply to Northern Ireland.
    The Homebase rolls are only 170mm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

dnme wrote: »
    woo hoo :D

what about this, lets say we give it a few days to see if we can get a few on board. I dunno, 4 or 5 people? Then we take the orders, do the run and redistribute say in sligo? Perhaps everyone contributes towards diesel. I'll happily go with you as wing man and jobsbody.

This is just an idea, feel free to improve on or add to

EDIT: btw fingers, you're under no obligation to take me with you. You might want to travel alone or bring your own friends. No worries whatsoever.

I don't have the funds for any more insulation in my house, much as I'd like it. Happy to take the drive up and down though, but as the above suggests, I'd need diesel money for it.

Gipo3 wrote: »
    It says on B&Q site that its not available in Northern Ireland.
    The B&Q Rolls are 200mm but only cover 5.5sqm
    On Homebase site it says that different offers apply to Northern Ireland.
    The Homebase rolls are only 170mm

Well spotted, needs further investigation

I just rang Homebase in Omagh, They told me that they have no offers on insulation. That Carbon Zero product is £15 and they do not have it in stock. Hard to know what's going on. Maybe my idea is a non starter. Oh well, I'll keep trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Do please keep trying, I would be interested too if you find something that sounds suitable!

Thanks!

eskimocat wrote: »
    Do please keep trying, I would be interested too if you find something that sounds suitable!

Thanks!

Sure, and this goes for everyone who may be interested. If you spot anything let us know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭ge_ch

i think its a great idea!
    we are lucky enough that our landlord got the house insulated last year when he still got the grant. the house is much warmer now.
    just to point out one thing: during the cold weather the water pipes in the attick froze(even though they are wrapped in insulation) because there is no heat going up anymore. we had to get a special heater installed

ge_ch wrote: »
    i think its a great idea!
    we are lucky enough that our landlord got the house insulated last year when he still got the grant. the house is much warmer now.
    just to point out one thing: during the cold weather the water pipes in the attick froze(even though they are wrapped in insulation) because there is no heat going up anymore. we had to get a special heater installed

insulation was laid wrong imo. I would line it over pipes and hot water tank. At the tank I will use foil covered glass to avoid contamination.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭ge_ch

dnme, you could be right, im no expert. it happened to all the houses in our estate that got the insulation done. we have thick layer of insulation on attick floor and all pipes are wrapped.
    great how you mention covering the watertank. our electic shower keeps getting blocked and its always full of insulation. got the company out after the third time and they said there was nothing in the tank. we suspect they didnt want to admit it and took it all out when they went up in the attick

Advertisement