Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oh Solo Mio..... Holiday for 1 please!

Options
  • 22-06-2011 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

As with most things in life... Best laid plans (Blah Blah Blah)

Had originally decided that I and another(whom shall not be spoken of again!) were due to head off somewhere dry hot and arid this summer.

However, relationship has gone by the way side, and if anything I'm even more determined to head off somewhere. Have approached my friends, and while they support the idea, none can either afford to go be it financially or work wise with days off etc.

In short a couple of questions that you may be able to assist with.....

1) where can a 30 something female go to relax ?
    2) catch a tan
    3) doesn't cost the earth moon and stars!

I have travelled solo before, however was never on a package holiday kind of thing, so really don't fancy the idea of being by the pool and some child pointing and staring at me and a parent saying ... leave the cat lady alone!

As always all opinions / advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

B,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Burnbaby76 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Had originally decided that I and another(whom shall not be spoken of again!) were due to head off somewhere dry hot and arid this summer.

However, relationship has gone by the way side, and if anything I'm even more determined to head off somewhere. Have approached my friends, and while they support the idea, none can either afford to go be it financially or work wise with days off etc.

2) catch a tan

I have travelled solo before, however was never on a package holiday kind of thing, so really don't fancy the idea of being by the pool and some child pointing and staring at me and a parent saying ... leave the cat lady alone!

Cheers,

B,

Kids, on holidays in a place with pools/activities/sunshine, aren't going to care who's sunbathing by the pool, much less notice who's on their own and who's not so they can judge them. So I really wouldn't let that influence your decision about a package holiday to somewhere sunny ;)

I was in Tenerife last year, and the resort I stayed in was a nice mix of older people, younger couples/groups and families with children. That said, it was June so schools wouldn't have finished for summer, so it might be different in July and August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Hi Folks,

2) catch a tan

Cheers,

B,

I did a solo long weekend trip to Lisbon last year, stayed in a great place for 20/night that included a hot breakfast, met lots of cool people, ate well, and had an altogether fabulous time. Not sure about the tanning part though, but the beaches aren't too far away.

I also did a 72-hour solo no phone/no internet trip to Mallorca and spent my days on the beach reading through the Steig Larssen series. I ate good seafood every night, went into Palma to go exploring/shopping for a day and caught up on my sleep. It was AWESOME and I felt 100x better when I went back to work the next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Burnbaby76

I also did a 72-hour solo no phone/no internet trip to Mallorca and spent my days on the beach reading through the Steig Larssen series. I ate good seafood every night, went into Palma to go exploring/shopping for a day and caught up on my sleep. It was AWESOME and I felt 100x better when I went back to work the next week.[/QUOTE]

that's exactly what I'm looking for ...!!!

Have found a cracking website in the uk for last minute deals... seriously cheap.. 2 weeks santorini, 217... then with transfers to uk only 35 on top....

Odds are I'd have to pay for 2 peeps... but at least I'd have a room all to myself!

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Oh, ye have me wanting to pack a case and head to the airport! :D

What about Barcelona? Great city, great night life and you are only a short trip from the gorgeous Sitges and it's beaches so you get the best of both worlds...

Been there already... fancy somewhere that can just switch off....

Jebus... never thought I'd turn into Shirley Valentine!
    :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I use lastminute.com for cheap deals like that.

I'd choose Barca if I were you. Went there about 2 years ago and I'm just itching to go back there again. Cheap food and booze....lovely city for a wander...beach there too and most important retail therapy! :)

EDIT: got there before me magoo! :) What about Madrid? If worst came to worst just stick a pin on a map of Europe and just book flights! :)

I back packed across Spain and Greece when I was younger...

Did the Spanish vibe and honestly enjoyed it... was busy cause was constantly going from A to B so wasn't bothered about being solo...

Now though am thinking 2 weeks, head clear, heart repair required.

Has anyone else done that?

Would love to enjoy retail therapy... however bank manager may have a different opinion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

What about Puerta Banus or Forte dei Marmi? *wracks brain for fave hols...*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

that's exactly what I'm looking for ...!!!

Have found a cracking website in the uk for last minute deals... seriously cheap.. 2 weeks santorini, 217... then with transfers to uk only 35 on top....

Odds are I'd have to pay for 2 peeps... but at least I'd have a room all to myself!

I've found a lot of good last-minute deals in Spain on booking.com, and the reviews are usually spot-on as well.

Have a look at this site...

SAVAGE!!

<mod snip>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Does it have to be Spain?

Most of Europe gets sunshine at this time of year - except for Ireland of course. :D

Just back from solo holiday myself (single, early 30s)

Went to Tallinn, Helsinki and St. Petersburg. Fabulous weather. St. Petersburg would be hassle at short notice because you'll need a visa but you could do a couple of days in Tallinn (not expensive) and a couple of days in Helsinki (a bit expensive)

Was in Switzerland and Austria last year, doing much the same thing.

Berlin is lovely for a few days too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Parque Santiago Hotels in Playa de las Americas in Tenerife are lovely, very friendly, lots of solo tourists, families, couples, everything. You can just lie by the pool or go to the beach which is right by the hotel, loads of restaurants nearby, well lit, I would really recommend it, and some great deals to be had.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Acoshla wrote: »
    Parque Santiago Hotels in Playa de las Americas in Tenerife are lovely, very friendly, lots of solo tourists, families, couples, everything. You can just lie by the pool or go to the beach which is right by the hotel, loads of restaurants nearby, well lit, I would really recommend it, and some great deals to be had.

That's where I was :D

It's good to know that I'm not alone... well you know what I mean!

Many of us live on our own - but the thought of doing that in another country on a temp basis... Terrifying! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

If you really want to avoid the families , wait until September.It would be significantly cheaper too.
    There are definitely firms that deal specifically with singletons so you don't have to pay extra single supplement,but I haven't a clue who they are.
    I went to Playa del Sunburnt-Ass(or the like:rolleyes:) many moons ago,all by myself, and had the best time ever.Sunshine++,just had a relaxed,chilled(as chilled as you can get under sizzling sun!)holiday,evenings by the bar....great to return to an Irish winter feeling tanned and refreshed,would recommend it to anyone.

Enjoy yourself and remember,don't burn baby!

I like it Msthe80s!

Many of the sites I've found are uk based... however their deals are far from great! It would actually be cheaper to pay for 2 and just say person no 2 couldn't make it at the last min!

If this thread is anything to go by... there's obviously a market for this kind of thing.... now why doesn't some cleaver astute travel agency do something from Ireland!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I like it Msthe80s!

Many of the sites I've found are uk based... however their deals are far from great! It would actually be cheaper to pay for 2 and just say person no 2 couldn't make it at the last min!

If this thread is anything to go by... there's obviously a market for this kind of thing.... now why doesn't some cleaver astute travel agency do something from Ireland!!!!

Now there's a start up idea for someone wanting their own business.
    Friends of ours from South America have an 18 yr old daughter who is travelling,by herself, around Europe as I write,and having an absolute blast-she's doing it for a year before she starts college.
    It's sad to think anyone would put off travelling simply because they'd have to go it alone.

msthe80s wrote: »
    Now there's a start up idea for someone wanting their own business.
    Friends of ours from South America have an 18 yr old daughter who is travelling,by herself, around Europe as I write,and having an absolute blast-she's doing it for a year before she starts college.
    It's sad to think anyone would put off travelling simply because they'd have to go it alone.

She's right to... it's expands the mind and after the Leaving it's a great head clearer just before college.... Would that be the voice of experience????
    :P

travelling from place to place genuinely doesn't bother me... it's the staying in the one location that would get me I think...

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I would echo the poster that suggests September. You might get a couple with a preschooler, but no bratty kids roaring and divebombing in the pool on top of you.

We went last year at that time and will do it again this year. The peace and quiet in the hotel was lovely.

We went to Turkey - its hot and cheap, but unfortunatly girls can get pestered by local blokes a lot. They dont go near you if you have a boyfriend, so I have never experienced it being with himself, but my single cousins get chatted up (or hassled, depending on your point of view!) As a last resort (pardon the pun) maybe.

Now I want to start holiday shopping !:p

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

I'm in the same boat! 7 year relationship broke up over a month ago, had taken 2 weeks off at the end of August for a nice rosemantic holiday :(

Bit wary of heading off on my own as the furthest I have travelled alone was a week long cooking course in Ballymaloe but I am craving for some sun/relaxation.

Keep going as far as searching for holidays, finding one I like then shutting the internet down!!! Arrgh, must be more independent :)

• Advertisement

I don't know... 7 year itch or what!

They say things happen for reasons... can't wait for this one to blossom!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

What about Malta/Gozo?

I was meant to go solo there but I ended up having two friends come along with me. I had 5 days at the end on my own.

The locals are very friendly and it was safe being on your own. No hassle at all.

Lots of pretty historical towns to walk around. The shopping is okay. Night life is really relaxed and the food is great. It is a slow pace of life, but I liked that.

It's a brilliant place to scuba dive if you're into that type of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

I don't know... 7 year itch or what!

They say things happen for reasons... can't wait for this one to blossom!!!

I know, still wondering what the reason is hmmm :rolleyes:

We should go together and find ourselves some hot spanish waiters :D

Waiters... eh no.... Onasis!

Now you're talking!:D

Advertisement