Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving lessons needed?

• 22-06-2011 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

I have had a learners permit for the last year and am looking to get a full licence in order to reduce my insurance. I have a suzuki 125 and my question is: would it be worth it getting lessons or just doing the test immediately?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Ride Safe

Get a lesson first and your instructor will give you an assessment of your riding and then advise you if you are ready for your test.

Depending on your age and what learner permit you have A1 or A, you would be better doing your test on an 'A' class bike to save you having to do another test when you want to get a bigger bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You'll need a bike over 150cc to do the A test, no point in doing the A1.

Get lesson(s) on a school bike and once they see your compitent on the bike they should rent you one for the test.

That way when/if you decide to move up the cc you won't need to do another test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

Del2005 wrote: »
    You'll need a bike over 150cc to do the A test, no point in doing the A1.

Get lesson(s) on a school bike and once they see your compitent on the bike they should rent you one for the test.

That way when/if you decide to move up the cc you won't need to do another test.

If he has no immediate plans the A1 is handy enough to have,
    Keeps your insurance cheap enough and it's obviously better to have a full rather then a prov :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

metalfest wrote: »
    If he has no immediate plans the A1 is handy enough to have,
    Keeps your insurance cheap enough and it's obviously better to have a full rather then a prov :)

It's the exact same type, just needs to be on a 25cc bigger machine. There is zero point in not going for the full A unless you're under 18. (even still I'd wait till you just turn 18 and go for the full A)

Simona1986 wrote: »
    It's the exact same type, just needs to be on a 25cc bigger machine. There is zero point in not going for the full A unless you're under 18. (even still I'd wait till you just turn 18 and go for the full A)

Ah, yeah I was assuming the OP was underage, I did mine when I turned 17 so was worthwhile for me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭dynamot

thanks guys, im going to go for the full A licence. Unfortunately the waiting list is 9 - 14 months long :eek:

dynamot wrote: »
    thanks guys, im going to go for the full A licence. Unfortunately the waiting list is 9 - 14 months long :eek:
    ring up looking for a cancellation, if you plan on doing a pretest do it as soon as you can,
    ringing the rsa might get you a test within a week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I was waiting over a year for my A test. Got bored so did a refesher lesson, didn't have a bike, then the instructor told me they where changing the test soon.

I rang the RSA on a Thursday and got the test for Monday morning. Had to call back to the instructor to see if I could get a bike.

My advice is get a lesson 1st, then call the RSA.

Advertisement