Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

switching mobile providers- what tarifs are u on?

Options
  • 22-06-2011 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Any advice on new subscription offers out there on smart phone/iphone? Considering leaving o2 for better value. Who is the best value currently for a smart phone with about 200mins and texts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Three or Meteor IMO. But depends on what you want most - talk & text or talk,text & data. As always DYOR.

Is this the Mobiles and PDA forum? :confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

I'll throw this in before its closed or moved. Can't recommend 3 highly enough. €20 credit gets you €30 credit, €32 if you top up online. it's €5 for 500mb data usage so that's €27 credit for calls because you get free any network texts. At weekends you get free calls to any network which is an incredible offer really. Plus when I go to the UK or up north there is the same charge as if I was at home.
    I was cautious about joining for 2 reasons, network coverage and what I heard about their customer service. The network coverage is better for me in Galway than it was on meteor, I get better 3G coverage in sligo than I did before. The customer service I have only had to ring on 2 occasions and they dealt with my problem immediately, quickly and in a friendly fashion.

It probably sounds like I work for 3 at this stage but after getting screwed by O2 and meteor before, I think its important to put a good word in for a network provider that has given me a great deal since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

currently iphone4 free with meteor bill pay at E45 for 200 mins and 200texts plus 5G data. That sounds really good. Can anyone suggest a better tarif than that? Only thing being you're tied into 24month contract...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

This isnt a bargain alert in fairness.
    Is this the Mobiles and PDA forum? :confused::confused::confused:

or bargain requests? :confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Miao

emobile is offering unlimited texts and unlimited calls to any network and unlimited downloading for €69 for eircom customers and €74 for non-eircom customers.

Oh yes! The big perk! A free iphone 4!

I thought that was better than the Meteor and 3 deal. What do you think? I was going to go for that deal. Though with all the talk of radiation from mobile phones, I should cut down on my usage!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

73trix wrote: »
    currently iphone4 free with meteor bill pay at E45 for 200 mins and 200texts plus 5G data. That sounds really good. Can anyone suggest a better tarif than that? Only thing being you're tied into 24month contract...

And how long have you been working for meteor now?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Try an eircom payphone. The inthing these days. Very retro.

Access wrote: »
    And how long have you been working for meteor now?
    Jeez! I thought this was a consumer forum where you could try to discuss offers and consumer advice. I am NOT working for ANY mobile company, just looking for a comparison of people's dif tarifs.
    cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Dermot2468

I'm on meteor bill pay light its €25 for 200 mins and 200 texts free meteor to meteor texts and calls and 1 GB of data. Its a 30 day rolling contract.

I believe you can get the same tariff on proper bill pay (ie subsidised phone)

• Advertisement

Jeez! I thought this was a consumer forum where you could try to discuss offers and consumer advice. I am NOT working for ANY mobile company, just looking for a comparison of people's dif tarifs.
    cheers!
    You're in the wrong forum! Don't know where all the mods have got to but this thread will be locked or moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,931 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Moved to Mobiles & PDA's..

Please use the correct forum in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 rolodea

Three give u 350 units and unlimited data and a freebie for 40€ a month I think and free iphone 4 but 24 month contract bargin u are less likely to work up a deposit with 3 than with meteor or emobile

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭tommy89

rolodea wrote: »
    Three give u 350 units and unlimited data and a freebie for 40€ a month I think and free iphone 4 but 24 month contract bargin u are less likely to work up a deposit with 3 than with meteor or emobile

Don't they give ya a load of webtexts aswell every month so if you use your units ya can use webtexts.. I will be going back to 3 after my contract with 02 is finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

tommy89 wrote: »
    Don't they give ya a load of webtexts aswell every month so if you use your units ya can use webtexts.. I will be going back to 3 after my contract with 02 is finished.

Yea, you get
    €40 per month, for 24 months.
    - €0 cost up-front iPhone 4.
    - 350 Flex Units (1 Unit = 1 Min OR 2 Texts)
    -Freebie (Choose: 150 Texts, Free Landlines, Commonly called countries, Eur, US, Oz, etc
    - All you can eat mobile data
    - 333 Web Texts (ROI Only, but compatable with JellySMS, EirText, Cabbage, etc)
    - Up to 50% of your flex units can be used to call standard UK numbers.
    - Roaming in the UK, Denmark, Sweeden, HongKong, Australia comes out of your Flex Units, no extra costs at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭opus

bd250110 wrote: »
    Yea, you get
    €40 per month, for 24 months.
    - €0 cost up-front iPhone 4.
    - 350 Flex Units (1 Unit = 1 Min OR 2 Texts)
    -Freebie (Choose: 150 Texts, Free Landlines, Commonly called countries, Eur, US, Oz, etc
    - All you can eat mobile data
    - 333 Web Texts (ROI Only, but compatable with JellySMS, EirText, Cabbage, etc)
    - Up to 50% of your flex units can be used to call standard UK numbers.
    - Roaming in the UK, Denmark, Sweeden, HongKong, Australia comes out of your Flex Units, no extra costs at all.

Or €30 per month on a one month rolling contract if you go sim-only, I moved from Meteor to take advantage of this & went for the free landline calls add on.

That sounds too good to be true. So what's the catch?? can youi keep your old number and what is coverage like? And nationa-wide coverage, not just dublin. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

Coverage wise, you would be well advised to order a simcard and try it out in the locations you most regularly frequent.
    You can keep your old number, you just port over from your old provider. If you have your own (unlocked) phone then you would be better on the rolling 30 day contract rather than tying yourself in for 12/18/24 months.

To be honest 3 is like Marmite, you love them or hate them. I moved about 2 months ago and I've had no issues but I did my research before hand and I'm on the 30day contract so if it starts going pear shaped then I'm off.

They have their own "Talk to" over in the Biz section so you should have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

I just moved from Meteor PAYG today to Bill Pay Lite - €20 per month (special offer ATM, runs for 12 months before going back up to €30pm) for 200 texts and 200 minutes, free meteor to meteor calls and texts, 30 day rolling contract and I've added unlimited internet for an extra €14.99pm so I think it's pretty good value. Their roaming rates are by miles the best of the Irish operators!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

That sounds too good to be true. So what's the catch?? can youi keep your old number and what is coverage like? And nationa-wide coverage, not just dublin. Thanks.

No catch!

Best of the lot in my opinion, also, the folk advising about dodgy coverage, when/if your out of 3 coverage, it latches on to vodafone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Ghandee wrote: »
    No catch!

Best of the lot in my opinion, also, the folk advising about dodgy coverage, when/if your out of 3 coverage, it latches on to vodafone!

..and that is the problem - for many areas the Vodafone coverage is nothing more than a safety net, yet some phones will latch on to, and try stay on, that network. Three have yet to acknowledge this problem, so there isn't much hope of it being fixed any time soon, and what little bandwidth they do have is getting sucked up by people flocking to claim their 'free' iPhone 4 with 'All you can eat' data.

If you've never had this problem you won't know what I'm on about, but trust me if you do, it's a nightmare - no data, failed texts, dropped and missed calls etc.

On paper (and when you do have a good 3G connection) it is great, but there is no service guarantee, and I'm not simply saying 'don't go with Three', if I had good coverage I'd still be with them, but just be aware. Check out the Three forum for some more insight -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1367

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭nickyjellybaby

Some very good points made here... I am also going to move from PAYG O2 as its working out at about 60euro a month and I need a new phone, I have first generation iphone and its starting to give me a lot of headaches.

The iphone 5 is coming out soon so I knew there would be good iphone 4 deals and both 3 and emobile have them on special offer with reasonably good tarriffs. But which one.... and the big concern for me is the 18/24 month contracts

As someone who has irregular useage, the 'unlimited' catchphrase is winning me over as I would feel I can go to town on my useage rather than checking my balance everyday :)

I am living in North County Dublin and I have found for the last few weeks the 02 network is dire both for dropped signals and very lengthy downloading times (emails etc)

After reading this thread I think the 3 network looks to be the better option

Advertisement