Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security at Cork Airport

Options
  • 22-06-2011 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

This is kind of a weird question! Has anyone here ever brought suncream through security at Cork Airport that is more than 100mls? I have a flight booked with Ryanair and im only bringing carry on luggage but I want to bring suncream and it's more than 100mls which is the limit.

Would I get away with 150mls?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

Can't you just buy a bottle when you've reached your destination? Last year in Greece we just did that and threw away what we didn't use at the end of the holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

kensutz wrote: »
    Can't you just buy a bottle when you've reached your destination? Last year in Greece we just did that and threw away what we didn't use at the end of the holiday.

Ya I was thinking that too but I don't really want to be looking for suncream over there - not that it would be hard to find I suppose but I'd rather have it with me when going. I may have to wait until I get there though or else duty free but it'd prob cost a bomb there

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

It might save a bit of hassle to get it over there. Pretty sure you can get it once you're passed the security checks in Cork Airport too but like you said, knowing them they'll charge a fortune for it. Check out to see if anyone like Boots have the mini suncream bottles. I'm sure some brand has brought out bottles to cater for the likes of yourself carrying items as hand luggage.

It might save a bit of hassle to get it over there. Pretty sure you can get it once you're passed the security checks in Cork Airport too but like you said, knowing them they'll charge a fortune for it. Check out to see if anyone like Boots have the mini suncream bottles. I'm sure some brand has brought out bottles to cater for the likes of yourself carrying items as hand luggage.

Cool thanks for that! Wishful thinking that I might be able to worm my way through security with it I suppose :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Alternatively a lot of chemists sell little travel bottles of 100ml. Just decant your suncream into one of those, they're not expensive. Just label it so you don't confuse it with conditioner!

• Advertisement

Thoie wrote: »
    Alternatively a lot of chemists sell little travel bottles of 100ml. Just decant your suncream into one of those, they're not expensive. Just label it so you don't confuse it with conditioner!

That's a very good idea actually:) thanks - might try that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

They are actually not that much more expensive in the airport. A euro maybe..

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Shhh

Hi I work in daa retail, mass branded suncreams like p20 and nivea etc are on buy one get one free in the loop shop in dub cork and Shannon airports at the moment and the high end brands like clarins and Lancaster and lancome and clinique sun products are 30% off downtown prices. Pm me if u have any specific query, but suncreams are good value in the airport. ..... Shhh

Hi thanks for that Sshh! But I'm not going till August so I wonder will the deal still be there then?! Is piz buin included in the buy 1 get 1 free?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭PcAngel

I always buy in Duty Free - they usually have good bargains. Saves you the hassle!

• Advertisement

PcAngel wrote: »
    I always buy in Duty Free - they usually have good bargains. Saves you the hassle!

Thanks PcAngel! Think I will buy in duty free so :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Well, I just went through security in Cork with toothpaste in my main bag and only liquids in my baggie, and nothing happened (tbh I didn't even know pastes and gels were verboten until I got to the head of the queue and then I stopped caring). So I would suggest bringing it with you and sure if they find it and dump it, go with plan a.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

Chance bringing your own anyway if there is someone bringing you to the airport. you can give them whatever liquids, nail clippers, screw drivers and weapons of mass destruction they find.

Make life interesting for the security guards, cleverly hide as many of these simple things as you can and keep a record of how many they spot. Its not a crime to chance bringing shampoo with you and if someone can take it off your hands then you have nothing to lose

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Shhh

leahyl wrote: »
    Hi thanks for that Sshh! But I'm not going till August so I wonder will the deal still be there then?! Is piz buin included in the buy 1 get 1 free?
    Hi there, piz buin is included and the promotion is till end august. Happy hols!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

I've found that dutyfree suncreem on the other side is almost always as good if not better a deal than you'd get at home. Don't bother y'arse bringing unnecessary handluggage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Daegerty wrote: »
    Chance bringing your own anyway if there is someone bringing you to the airport. you can give them whatever liquids, nail clippers, screw drivers and weapons of mass destruction they find.

Make life interesting for the security guards, cleverly hide as many of these simple things as you can and keep a record of how many they spot. Its not a crime to chance bringing shampoo with you and if someone can take it off your hands then you have nothing to lose
    not actually feasible, as they check your bag inside the terminal, where if your not a passenger, you aint allowed in.

booboo88 wrote: »
    not actually feasible, as they check your bag inside the terminal, where if your not a passenger, you aint allowed in.

See when they say you can't take stuff you go out and hand it to the people who drop you off. Of course massive stares from the security crowd and they all thinking "Why don't you just give us all your stuff for free you misguided rebel don't worry we'll have you on the terrorist watch list in no time for this" but really there's nothing they can do to stop you. I've done this a few times myself

See when they say you can't take stuff you go out and hand it to the people who drop you off. Of course massive stares from the security crowd and they all thinking "Why don't you just give us all your stuff for free you misguided rebel don't worry we'll have you on the terrorist watch list in no time for this" but really there's nothing they can do to stop you. I've done this a few times myself

uhm, what time of year do you normally go on hols? so i can avoid it like the plague? irritating if nothing else

Hang on though, am I not allowed to bring a tweezers or a razor (one of the embedded gilette womens one I mean) through in my hand luggage either?!

God dammit I need my tweezers!

uhm, what time of year do you normally go on hols? so i can avoid it like the plague? irritating if nothing else

No fixed time of the year, could be any time really
    Hang on though, am I not allowed to bring a tweezers or a razor (one of the embedded gilette womens one I mean) through in my hand luggage either?!

God dammit I need my tweezers!

Don't think so but a tweezers is one of the harder things to find. particularly if it's tweezed shut and packed against something else that has metal in it

• Advertisement

Don't think so but a tweezers is one of the harder things to find. particularly if it's tweezed shut and packed against something else that has metal in it

What about if I actually was honest about it and put it in the plastic bag thing with the cosmetics?! Would they def take it then?

And the razor is ok though I'd say?

What about if I actually was honest about it and put it in the plastic bag thing with the cosmetics?! Would they def take it then?

And the razor is ok though I'd say?

The tweezers they'd probably take but the razor is alright because its encased in plastic. Just like a glass bottle is ok when its still in tact but if you break it before going through security it's not allowed. If you break the glass bottle in the jacks after security it's grand

*Glass bottle needs to be empty

damn it :P

damn it :P

Tis the fecking security that's irritating not me. Complain to them instead

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Babyblessed

Hi all,

This is kind of a weird question! Has anyone here ever brought suncream through security at Cork Airport that is more than 100mls? I have a flight booked with Ryanair and im only bringing carry on luggage but I want to bring suncream and it's more than 100mls which is the limit.

Would I get away with 150mls?

I agree with the decant idea! I buy own brand suncreams (tescos own is around €2 for 200mls) so buying duty free is way more expensive! What we tend to do when going abroad is share a suitcase between 4/5 of us and all it contains is liquids. We then carry-on everything clothing-wise.. I spose as we stay in a family owned villa with own amenities we dont really bring much but even so, we spend most of the time by the pool in swimwear... that and 2 going-out outfits and your sorted!

I got told off for a perfume that was 120ml sized bottle but less than half full.......nightmare! (Hasten to add it wasnt Cork!)

Tis the fecking security that's irritating not me. Complain to them instead

they may be irritating, no argument there, but you know the max size, so save yourself the bother and either buy it where your going, or just bring 100ml or less, as theres nothing more irritating than having to queue behind someone trying to pull a fast one, rules are rules

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

The security at Cork airport are much stricter than at any other airport I've been to in the world - they made me buy a new ziplock bag for my liquids because the wee zipper toggle came off mine as I was closing it. The guy flipped his lid about it no longer being a zip lock bag to the point of ridiculousness.

So if the bottle is above the required size it might just send him completely over the edge :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭alanacadia

Hello, I work in airport search unit,
    150 mils defo not allowed, but nothing stopping you from trying to get it through,
    to the person that said hide as much stuff in your bag, thats fine really but what about all the people in the que behind thats held up for an extra 20 mins while we search the bag, sounds good to do it at first, but its the people behind in the que that suffer, and especially if there running late for thier flight.

We do not make the rules, its the eec airport security we only do our best to implement them, trust me we would prefer that they did not apply at all, but noting should comprimise a travellers security.

sorry if this sounds sharp, its definitly not intended, but I am one of the guys that see both side of the story.

someone also advised that you will get that suntan lotion in the duty free area , and you can get whatever size bottle you require in there , you might ask, how you can buy in the duty free and not allowed to take through security origionally, answer all items on sale in the shops are pre screened by a private company.
    Finally hopefully this liquid ban will be removed in 2013 when new equipment being broughht into play, you will then be allowed to bring but we will do random testing to make sure things are safe as possible.
    hope than answers your question and again apoligies if anybody out there thinks Im using power that does not exist, Im not into that at all I love to help all travellers on thier way after all its them that really pay my wages
    Cheers to all have a great flight
    :):):):cool::cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Babyblessed

pow wow wrote: »
    The security at Cork airport are much stricter than at any other airport I've been to in the world - they made me buy a new ziplock bag for my liquids because the wee zipper toggle came off mine as I was closing it. The guy flipped his lid about it no longer being a zip lock bag to the point of ridiculousness.

So if the bottle is above the required size it might just send him completely over the edge :cool:

Interesting! I think Cork are quite relaxed! Stansted are a nightmare and Liverpool crazy and both with huge queues!

I find the staff I have encountered at Cork great, no hassle!

Will say tho to all the ladies; if you have a pandora or similar bracelet, put it in your bag before security! I never used to set of the alarms til I got one!!!!

@Alancadia, keep up the good work we know you are just doing your job!

• Advertisement

alanacadia wrote: »
    Hello, I work in airport search unit,
    150 mils defo not allowed, but nothing stopping you from trying to get it through,
    to the person that said hide as much stuff in your bag, thats fine really but what about all the people in the que behind thats held up for an extra 20 mins while we search the bag, sounds good to do it at first, but its the people behind in the que that suffer, and especially if there running late for thier flight.

We do not make the rules, its the eec airport security we only do our best to implement them, trust me we would prefer that they did not apply at all, but noting should comprimise a travellers security.

sorry if this sounds sharp, its definitly not intended, but I am one of the guys that see both side of the story.

I really hate that attitude "We don't make the rules but we'll continue to annoy the living sh1t out of everyone as long as they keep telling us to, and blame it on someone else"

You see the person(s) who makes the rules, where are they? Do they know they're annoying everyone? They seem far detached from reality, there are no consequences to their over cautiousness. Some crowd hands out the rules from abroad, collects their bonus because nothing bad happened that year and to hell with the rest of us who have to put up with it.

Maybe if the queue was held up enough people would realise it's all bullsh1t and an end will be put to it. Osama is dead now but the overregulation and the invasion of privacy rages on.
    Finally hopefully this liquid ban will be removed in 2013 when new equipment being broughht into play

Great more invasion of privacy, nudie scanners and worse I presume? The whole thing has put me off flying, that and Ryanair constantly changing their terms and conditions to catch people off guard but thats for another thread. If I need to bring something that is for some stupid reason not allowed I must check in an expensive 30 euro suitcase or buy new.

And whats with the bloody plastic bags? If I bring 100ml of sun cream in a plastic bag or just in a bottle the bag serves no purpose only to bring money to the company supplying the bag and the fella running the machine just outside there where that annoying video is constantly playing.

I know people too who got hassled because the bag wasn't 100% transparent or some crap. It appears like nothing more than getting the people of Europe used to blind compliance so they're easier to control

Advertisement