Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security at Cork Airport

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Babyblessed

Regarding the plastic bag thing... go to any supermarket and you will get 20+bags for around €1. I reuse as much as possible and still have 11 left from over 2 years ago! Most have been replaced cos I emptied and binned then... doh! BTW thats up to 8 ppl travelling to-and-from the UK/Portugal.... reuse/recycle!

(Infact most were prob used by the kids when I ran out of cheap sanger bags!)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Hi thanks for all the responses guys! I actually just remembered i got a tweezers through security before when I went to Germany around 2 years ago - nothing was said at either airport. I might just chance it, otherwise my eyebrows will be like I don't know what! Lol!

The suncream thing im not too bothered about - think I'll get it in duty free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Daegerty wrote: »
    I really hate that attitude "We don't make the rules but we'll continue to annoy the living sh1t out of everyone as long as they keep telling us to, and blame it on someone else"

You see the person(s) who makes the rules, where are they? Do they know they're annoying everyone? They seem far detached from reality, there are no consequences to their over cautiousness. Some crowd hands out the rules from abroad, collects their bonus because nothing bad happened that year and to hell with the rest of us who have to put up with it.

Maybe if the queue was held up enough people would realise it's all bullsh1t and an end will be put to it. Osama is dead now but the overregulation and the invasion of privacy rages on.

Great more invasion of privacy, nudie scanners and worse I presume? The whole thing has put me off flying, that and Ryanair constantly changing their terms and conditions to catch people off guard but thats for another thread. If I need to bring something that is for some stupid reason not allowed I must check in an expensive 30 euro suitcase or buy new.

And whats with the bloody plastic bags? If I bring 100ml of sun cream in a plastic bag or just in a bottle the bag serves no purpose only to bring money to the company supplying the bag and the fella running the machine just outside there where that annoying video is constantly playing.

I know people too who got hassled because the bag wasn't 100% transparent or some crap. It appears like nothing more than getting the people of Europe used to blind compliance so they're easier to control

To give credit to the man. You can't blame him for EU wide regulations that are entirely out of his control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

Corkfeen wrote: »
    To give credit to the man. You can't blame him for EU wide regulations that are entirely out of his control.

I suppose we might as well enjoy them while they last, if Greece goes we might be booted out of it soon after

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Ah I don't have an issue with the regulations, I just find the 'delivery' at Cork has always left a lot to be desired. The zipper toggle snapping off a ziplock bag in front of the guy is hardly something to get excited about but he was teetering on the brink for some time whilst we debated when is a ziplock bag no longer a ziplock bag? ;) I've had all manner of cosmetics drilled into at other airports (stick deodorants at Belfast Intl are a personal fave) but the attitude of the guys doing it has always been ace. I just can't say the same about mr. ziplock and his cohorts at Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I have no issues with the regulations either. They are straightforward and easy to follow. I flew every week last year from Cork with work and had no issues. All liquids were under 100ml - I didn't feel the need to have to bring scissors or nail clippers on a 5 day trip. I got to security with the laptop out, belt and watch off, wallet ready with all my liquids in the propper bag (same bag for months). No issue, straight through, everyone happy.

Its not what was said earlier "It appears like nothing more than getting the people of Europe used to blind compliance so they're easier to control"Its not just Europe, same rules apply almost everywhere, in fact I never have been asked to take my shoes off in Cork airport and only once in 50 odd trips was I ever been patted down, and never ever has my bag been opened for a search.

Its quick and easy, as long as people don't be clowns about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

alanacadia wrote: »
    Hello, I work in airport search unit,
    150 mils defo not allowed, but nothing stopping you from trying to get it through,
    to the person that said hide as much stuff in your bag, thats fine really but what about all the people in the que behind thats held up for an extra 20 mins while we search the bag, sounds good to do it at first, but its the people behind in the que that suffer, and especially if there running late for thier flight.

We do not make the rules, its the eec airport security we only do our best to implement them, trust me we would prefer that they did not apply at all, but noting should comprimise a travellers security.

sorry if this sounds sharp, its definitly not intended, but I am one of the guys that see both side of the story.

someone also advised that you will get that suntan lotion in the duty free area , and you can get whatever size bottle you require in there , you might ask, how you can buy in the duty free and not allowed to take through security origionally, answer all items on sale in the shops are pre screened by a private company.
    Finally hopefully this liquid ban will be removed in 2013 when new equipment being broughht into play, you will then be allowed to bring but we will do random testing to make sure things are safe as possible.
    hope than answers your question and again apoligies if anybody out there thinks Im using power that does not exist, Im not into that at all I love to help all travellers on thier way after all its them that really pay my wages
    Cheers to all have a great flight
    :):):):cool::cool::cool:

First of all thank you for admitting that you are one of them. Unfortunatly in my humble opinion you have the same type job as a traffic warden or clamper. Mind you at least you have a job and hopefully you will get a proper one in the airport eventually.

Just have a query for you, what happens, honestly now, to all of the property which you lot take from passengers?

Do you lot provide a service whereby once a passanger returns from their holiday can they reclaim what you lot 'took' from them?

And FFS if a passenger is allowed 100 mls of something, then what is stopping 3 or 4 people clubbing together with their liquid and blowing a plane out of the sky with water?????

McGiver woud be proud of that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

kub wrote: »
    First of all thank you for admitting that you are one of them. Unfortunatly in my humble opinion you have the same type job as a traffic warden or clamper. Mind you at least you have a job and hopefully you will get a proper one in the airport eventually.

So the jobs you mention are not proper jobs? What now? Should all security at airports be gotten rid of just because you think it isn't a proper job? Maybe then get rid of all the gardai as you might not agree with some laws...that would fun.

What exactly do you do for a living that entitles you to refer to airport security as not being a proper job?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

And FFS if a passenger is allowed 100 mls of something, then what is stopping 3 or 4 people clubbing together with their liquid and blowing a plane out of the sky with water?????
    Well for one thing you'd need the 3 or 4 suicide bombers for a single target which makes things a lot harder for plotters than just needing 1 bomber.

Ludo wrote: »
    So the jobs you mention are not proper jobs? What now? Should all security at airports be gotten rid of just because you think it isn't a proper job? Maybe then get rid of all the gardai as you might not agree with some laws...that would fun.

What exactly do you do for a living that entitles you to refer to airport security as not being a proper job?

This you will love, I own a security company. I have the upmost respect for The Gardai and the job which these guys have to do.

I just think that a lot of these search people are muppets, I also think that the proper security guards at the airport do a decent job and again I have respect for them.

Ps how exactly do I get the power to get rid of something I do not like?

• Advertisement

JohnK wrote: »
    Well for one thing you'd need the 3 or 4 suicide bombers for a single target which makes things a lot harder for plotters than just needing 1 bomber.

This is what I do not understand, remember 9/11, there was more than 1 bomber on each plane.

Can anyone please tell me how do you blow up a plane with more than 100 mls of water?

This is what I do not understand, remember 9/11, there was more than 1 bomber on each plane.
    It was reported that only 1 person per plane, the pilot, actually knew it was a suicide mission and the rest just thought they were on some sort of hostage taking hijack or something of that nature.
    FBI investigators have officially concluded that 11 of the 19 terrorists who hijacked the aircraft on 11 September did not know they were on a suicide mission, Whitehall intelligence sources said last night.

Unlike the eight 'lead' attackers, who were all trained pilots, they did not leave messages for friends and family indicating they knew their lives were over. None of them had copies of the instructions for prayer and contemplation on the eve of the attacks and for 'opening your chest to God' at the moment of immolation, which FBI agents discovered in the luggage of Mohamed Atta, the man believed to be the hijackers' leader, who flew the first plane to destruction in New York.

It is understood the FBI has found evidence suggesting the 11 men expected to take part in 'conventional' hijackings - with the planes flown to distant airports, and the passengers and crew taken hostage while the hijackers presented demands. Items found among the 11 men's possessions suggest they had been preparing themselves for incarceration. One source said: 'It looks as if they expected they might be going to prison, not paradise.'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2001/oct/14/terrorism.september111

Fair enough John, that explains that part, whats the story with the quantity of water?

My guess is its just a number pulled out of the arse of the gob****e who came up with that annoying ****ing rule

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Channel 4 did a documentary on the attempted plot to blow up planes with liquids a couple of weeks ago. It went through how al-Qaida got to within a day or two of exectuing a plan of bringing down a load of planes headed from Europe to the US, the plan was to bring down the planes half way accross so rescue would be near impossible. I think ther were talking of something like up to 10 planes.

The UK & USA were able to do tests on these liquid explosives (Peroxide, I think) and determined that under 100ml in any one container would not be effecitve, there would not be enough force from the blast to do anything but injure the bomber and the people sitting immediatly around them.

That is what we are told ----we are told a lot of things.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lustrum

It's gas reading this thread, most Ryanair threads are the same - loads of people complaining about the rules that we all know about, and the rest of them saying "well you knew about the rules before you went to the airport!"

I suppose it comes down to the old question of if there were 2 planes leaving at the same time going to the same place, one of them has a standard (including the 100ml rule) pre-flight security procedures, the other one has absolutely no pre-flight security procedures in place - which one would you take?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Ludo wrote: »

This you will love, I own a security company. I have the upmost respect for The Gardai and the job which these guys have to do.

I just think that a lot of these search people are muppets, I also think that the proper security guards at the airport do a decent job and again I have respect for them.

Ps how exactly do I get the power to get rid of something I do not like?

LOL.

Somebody from the "no white socks allowed here bud" industry complaining about what they perceive as silly rules.

How many cases of assault have been takes against the airport search folk ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Needler

parsi wrote: »
    LOL.

Somebody from the "no white socks allowed here bud" industry complaining about what they perceive as silly rules.

Any hits on google seem to refer to the airport security doing the assaulting not the other way around.

also when a place has a "abuse on our staff won't be tolerated" sign up thats not good. surely if the airport security were all such nice people and salt of the earth lads who are only trying to help they wouldn't receive enough abuse to warrant a sign.

parsi wrote: »
    LOL.

Sorry PARSI, you are incorrect, in order to work in the security business I am in, one needs a basic IQ level.

Good comment NEEDLER.

Advertisement