Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

QTS / ITT - PGDE (relation)

• 22-06-2011 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi.

I am looking to teach in England. I have just completed the PGDE. I was reading about obtaining Qualified Teacher Status (QTS)to teach in the UK. Does this apply to me? Can I not just get in touch with a teaching agency for england, get them to set me up with a school, get a job and start teaching?

What is the story also with Initial Teacher Training (ITT) in my case?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

Any answer to this??

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭raytray

You can get a job teaching in the UK but you wont have QTS. In order to obtain QTS you need to satisfy the Irish requirements for QTS (if you did the PGDE in Ireland that is). So, you need to do 300 hours of teaching and this can be done in the UK. Once you have this done you need to apply to Irish TC for QTS and THEN send this on to the GTC in England and you will get QTS there.
    The ITT is just a PGDE/PGCE. So if you have done this in Ireland you dont do it again in England. Uk trained teachers then do an induction yr in their first yr but you cannot do this if tou have an Irish PGDE.
    Im teaching in the UK and trained in Ireland and this is what I have done. I just had my PGDE done and got a job and then got QTS after

So you didn't do an NQT year when you started in your UK school after your PGDE??
    My school want me to, and to be honest, I'm very happy to get the support in adjusting to a different system.
    The Irish TC won't recognise my teaching experience since the PGDE since it was outside of mainstream state schooling, so I don't have full registration.

My school started me off doing the induction year but we found out it was a waste of time because if you trained in Ireland you cannot get QTS in England by doing the induction year. The GTC will not recognise it. You need to get QTS in Ireland because that is where you trained.
    What type of school are you teaching in in England? I had no problem getting my UK experience recognised for QTS in Ireland and now England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭mimmi

contact U Teach in Cork - an agency that has teaching jobs in England and elsewhere, I am sure they know the ins and outs on the ground.

http://www.uteachrecruitment.com/

• Advertisement

I was actually recruited through uteach! They were brilliant for getting me a good job very fast, but then they kinda washed their hands and weren't very helpful with anything else. (not that I really felt I needed the help, I suppose).
    I did ask the question via email before I started, but never got a response from them.

Raytray, you're spot on. My school is quite irritated now at the confusion. Uteach seriously should have some experience in sending Irish teachers to the UK and should not have told the school I was eligible for the NQT.

Yes that is ridiculous that Uteach told the school that because of course they would have known that you cannot do the NQT. Could you try get a job in a different school where you could actually do the 300 hours for the Irish Teaching Council? I know it's easier said than done but its a pain if you cant get QTS in this school

I got a phone call from Uteach, after I sent 3 emails, today. He gave me a rather long and boring spiel about how the GTC let some people do the NQT and not others and how he couldn't have known I wasn't going to be eligible...
    I was not impressed.

Anyway, the good news is that my school is happy to have me work as an "unqualified" teacher until I've met the 300 hours that will get me registered with the Irish TC, and thus recognised by the GTC.

Advertisement