Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA pricing itself out of the game

Options
  • 22-06-2011 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

I went to the Meath v. Kildare/ Dublin v. Laois a couple of weeks back. First time I was in Croker in ages. Paid €25 for my ticket which I thought wasn't too shabby at all. Stadium was half full though. At half time time I went for something to eat and paid €11.50. for a burger and a pint which was bloody ridiculous. Wont be going again, not worth me while.

GAA need to wake the f*** up or this time next year there will be more stewards on the pitch or than fans in the stadium.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Cummybaby wrote: »
    I went to the Meath v. Kildare/ Dublin v. Laois a couple of weeks back. First time I was in Croker in ages. Paid €25 for my ticket which I thought wasn't too shabby at all. Stadium was half full though. At half time time I went for something to eat and paid €11.50. for a burger and a pint which was bloody ridiculous. Wont be going again, not worth me while.

GAA need to wake the f*** up or this time next year there will be more stewards on the pitch or than fans in the stadium.
    Could not agree more friend, bloody ridiculous that YOU PAID
    11.50 for a burger and a pint. You must have been very hungry and thirsty to fall for that deal. Maybe next time leave the "nutritious" meal deal un sold. They might think twice about charging that price next time when they look at their pile of unsold food and drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,512 ✭✭✭bren2001

Ive always thought the GAA are fair with ticket prices. I can always get enough cash together unlike the soccer or rugby.

In relation to food? Do they control the price of that? I always assumed it was leased out to a company and they dictate their own prices. (That being said I am always quick to defend the GAA, don't think I've ever said a bad word about them. It is an incredibly bias view and assumption).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Thats why you see culchie GAA fans eating the sandwiches out of the back of the car:D:D

Seriously though prices for food and drinks are always really high at festivals/football games etc. Back in pre celtic tiger days everyone brought sandwiches - I for one have gone back to that.

I agree tickets can also be a bit dear for families but relative to a lot of other sports/entertainment they are standard enough. Its just with the recession it is hard for people to have money for anything - but the GAA has survived a lot worse than this.

wow sierra wrote: »
    Thats why you see culchie GAA fans eating the sandwiches out of the back of the car:D:D

Seriously though prices for food and drinks are always really high at festivals/football games etc. Back in pre celtic tiger days everyone brought sandwiches - I for one have gone back to that.

I agree tickets can also be a bit dear for families but relative to a lot of other sports/entertainment they are standard enough. Its just with the recession it is hard for people to have money for anything - but the GAA has survived a lot worse than this.
    Sure has survived worse, just been flicking through a GAA book in my local library and chanced upon an action photo of Eddie Keher said to be from an All Ireland Final from 1970s, the old Cusack is behind him and the section thats visible has row after row of empty seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Cummybaby

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Could not agree more friend, bloody ridiculous that YOU PAID
    11.50 for a burger and a pint. You must have been very hungry and thirsty to fall for that deal. Maybe next time leave the "nutritious" meal deal un sold. They might think twice about charging that price next time when they look at their pile of unsold food and drink.

Eating a burger and pint is not the point. I use it to illustrate the high level of prices in Croker. Secondly you can take in some sambos and bars etc. with ya but how far will you get with a couple of cans in the rucksack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,790 ✭✭✭billyhead

Folks,

Just on an unrelated topic. I decided for the optionw hen getting my match tickets to collect them at the box office for the Leinster Semi Finals on Sunday. Where exactly is it located. Is it the booth at the top of Jones Road?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

I think the prices for the games are fair. I haven't seen bad pricing from the games I've gone to. The amount for food is bad alright but you'd want to have been fair hungry to pay it.
    The GAA should work more with Bord Failte, working on encouraging peopple to travel more to counties for weekends and take in a game as well.

Eating a burger and pint is not the point. I use it to illustrate the high level of prices in Croker. Secondly you can take in some sambos and bars etc. with ya but how far will you get with a couple of cans in the rucksack.
    Pretty far I would say, lets take All Ireland final day as its a double header with largest gap between games: have yourself a good large early breakfast, a good lunch before minor match, get to the ground for 12 30 minor match start. After the minor match eat whatever food and drink you have brought in and wait for senior match to start, hunger and thirst quenched and 11.50 still in pocket. 5pm approx. Leave ground to celebrate or drown sorrows.

bren2001 wrote: »
    Ive always thought the GAA are fair with ticket prices. I can always get enough cash together unlike the soccer or rugby.

In relation to food? Do they control the price of that? I always assumed it was leased out to a company and they dictate their own prices. (That being said I am always quick to defend the GAA, don't think I've ever said a bad word about them. It is an incredibly bias view and assumption).

The GAA have no say in what the food vendors get up to? So if crowds get sick from dodgy sandwiches they can do nothing about it.

"(That being said I am always quick to defend the GAA, don't think I've ever said a bad word about them. It is an incredibly bias view and assumption)"

This here I don't understand. I'm not attacking the GAA but the pricing in Croke Park. The fact that the stadium was half empty even when it hosted big name teams like Meath, Kildare, Laois (a bit generous) and Dublin speaks volumes.

Some of my most cherished memories occurred in and around Croke Park. Some great days I had jumping on the bandwagon of other teams because gaelic never really took off in Monaghan

I think the prices for the games are fair. I haven't seen bad pricing from the games I've gone to. The amount for food is bad alright but you'd want to have been fair hungry to pay it.
    The GAA should work more with Bord Failte, working on encouraging peopple to travel more to counties for weekends and take in a game as well.
    Remember reading somewhere this week that the GAA are to start selling tickets in local tourist offices. Sorry Don't have a link as posting from a mobile.

• Advertisement

Pretty far I would say, lets take All Ireland final day as its a double header with largest gap between games: have yourself a good large early breakfast, a good lunch before minor match, get to the ground for 12 30 minor match start. After the minor match eat whatever food and drink you have brought in and wait for senior match to start, hunger and thirst quenched and 11.50 still in pocket. 5pm approx. Leave ground to celebrate or drown sorrows.

Sounds like good plan from a Croke Park veteran.:D:D:D

Sounds like good plan from a Croke Park veteran.:D:D:D
    Once bitten twice shy I hope?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

Remember reading somewhere this week that the GAA are to start selling tickets in local tourist offices. Sorry Don't have a link as posting from a mobile.

I'm looking mroe at, Galway getting a good crowd up from Clare, who make a weekend of it in the county. With Wexford playing in Limerick. The drive should be to encourage people to make a weekend of it there as well.
    Many people to make a weekend of it already away in a town or city ahead of league and championship games. It's something which could be promoted more.

Once bitten twice shy I hope?

I still would love a couple of cans of Bud smuggled in with me. My bum isn't big enough though. :D:D:D

billyhead wrote: »
    Folks,

Just on an unrelated topic. I decided for the optionw hen getting my match tickets to collect them at the box office for the Leinster Semi Finals on Sunday. Where exactly is it located. Is it the booth at the top of Jones Road?
    Try beside Red Parrot pub at the canal bridge on Dorset Street. Thats where the new GAA ticket office is.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,560 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Stand tickets for the Mayo v Galway Connacht Semi Final are €30 a head.
    I believe other area tickets are €25 with students, children and OAPS coming in at €5.

While people dont have to go to the matches the GAA are doing themselves no favours in charging this type of money to watch a provincial semi final in a sport where the players themselves don't get paid, benefits from major government funding, has some of the most lucrative sponsorship deals in the national sporting arena, benefits from TV deals and benefits massively at all levels from the support of volunteers.
    It's a massive cost to expect a family travel up from galway (2 adults, 2 kids) paying 60 quid minimum for match tickets, travel costs, and as highlighted above costs of food/drink at the venue. These ticket prices havent come down in the recession at all, if anything they have gone up (for this particular event).

People here say it compares well with any sporting/entertainment event. The fact is, it doesn't. Essentially you are paying to watch an amateur sport, well financed from others areas benefiting from all of what I mentioned above for approximately 70 minutes.

Now, there's the excuse above that the GAA have no control over the price of food and drink at the venues. I don't believe that the couldnt do something about it.
    They vendors pay the GAA and not inconsiderable amount for the privilege of their presence in Croker. I had heard the figures before, but they were not minor. The GAA could reduce these charges and insist prices come down as well - they are the organisation that makes the deals, there is no reason pricing couldn't be part of it.

That said, the market will eventually sort it all out. I have no doubt attendances are down this summer and this will continue to deteriorate so long as ticket prices remain as they are and the prices of food and drink in the venues remains high.

I'm looking mroe at, Galway getting a good crowd up from Clare, who make a weekend of it in the county. With Wexford playing in Limerick. The drive should be to encourage people to make a weekend of it there as well.
    Many people to make a weekend of it already away in a town or city ahead of league and championship games. It's something which could be promoted more.
    A laudable idea no doubt. However, getting people to spend on match tickets alone is becoming an ever increasing problem, maybe tie in GAA advertising with tourist ads in overseas countries?

kippy wrote: »
    Stand tickets for the Mayo v Galway Connacht Semi Final are €30 a head.
    I believe other area tickets are €25 with students, children and OAPS coming in at €5.

While people dont have to go to the matches the GAA are doing themselves no favours in charging this type of money to watch a provincial semi final in a sport where the players themselves don't get paid, benefits from major government funding, has some of the most lucrative sponsorship deals in the national sporting arena, benefits from TV deals and benefits massively at all levels from the support of volunteers.
    It's a massive cost to expect a family travel up from galway (2 adults, 2 kids) paying 60 quid minimum for match tickets, travel costs, and as highlighted above costs of food/drink at the venue. These ticket prices havent come down in the recession at all, if anything they have gone up (for this particular event).

People here say it compares well with any sporting/entertainment event. The fact is, it doesn't. Essentially you are paying to watch an amateur sport, well financed from others areas benefiting from all of what I mentioned above for approximately 70 minutes.

Now, there's the excuse above that the GAA have no control over the price of food and drink at the venues. I don't believe that the couldnt do something about it.
    They vendors pay the GAA and not inconsiderable amount for the privilege of their presence in Croker. I had heard the figures before, but they were not minor. The GAA could reduce these charges and insist prices come down as well - they are the organisation that makes the deals, there is no reason pricing couldn't be part of it.

That said, the market will eventually sort it all out. I have no doubt attendances are down this summer and this will continue to deteriorate so long as ticket prices remain as they are and the prices of food and drink in the venues remains high.
    Have not been to new stand in Castlebar yet. Think the 11.50 for a burger and pint is just a croker thing. 25 is a little on the steep side maybe 20 for a semi final as ground is all seat remember. Don't think any reasonable person can complain about 5 euro for kids to be fair.

Have not been to new stand in Castlebar yet. Think the 11.50 for a burger and pint is just a croker thing. 25 is a little on the steep side maybe 20 for a semi final as ground is all seat remember. Don't think any reasonable person can complain about 5 euro for kids to be fair.

I amn't complaining about the kids prices to be fair - but long gone are the days of kids getting in for free.

I think 20 quid is still steep for the situation to be honest.

Edit: yep the issue with high food and drink prices may only be a Croke Park thing but to use the fact that the GAA have nothing to do with it, is, in my opinion giving them too easy an excuse.

kippy wrote: »
    I amn't complaining about the kids prices to be fair - but long gone are the days of kids getting in for free.

I think 20 quid is still steep for the situation to be honest.
    what can I say?? Vote with your feet. Nothing like the sight of empty seats to get the bean counters attention.

• Advertisement

what can I say?? Vote with your feet. Nothing like the sight of empty seats to get the bean counters attention.

I have no intention of going, haven't been to a paid for GAA match in 3 years + at this stage. Nothing like the sofa with a few cans, replays and food on demand.
    ;)

Was just highlighting what I think are the main issues with why people aren't going as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Dublin season ticket football.

Cost in December €75.

Games so far:
    • 7 Division One Football Games
    • (4 Home)
    • (3 Away)
    • 1 League Final
    • 2 Division One Hurling Games
    • 1 Second Round Leinster Championship Game

That's €8.33 per event, three of those events having two senior games.

Two more senior games on Sunday for €25 (€5 discount for season ticket holders). Plus the option to opt out of any forthcoming game (if one was that way inclined).

Guaranteed a final ticket should wonders of wonders occur.

Excellent seats at all matches in Croke Park.

Personally speaking, for the third season in a row, the GAA are offering ME terrific value.

I also understand that ancillary services are out of the control of the GAA and should not be factored into anything.

From a personal view point I'd say keep the tickets prices high to keep away the fair weather fans, no loss (tongue in cheek).

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Dublin season ticket football.

Cost in December €75.

Games so far:
    • 7 Division One Football Games
    • (4 Home)
    • (3 Away)
    • 1 League Final
    • 2 Division One Hurling Games
    • 1 Second Round Leinster Championship Game

That's €8.33 per event, three of those events having two senior games.

Two more senior games on Sunday for €25 (€5 discount for season ticket holders). Plus the option to opt out of any forthcoming game (if one was that way inclined).

Guaranteed a final ticket should wonders of wonders occur.

Excellent seats at all matches in Croke Park.

Personally speaking, for the third season in a row, the GAA are offering ME terrific value.

I also understand that ancillary services are out of the control of the GAA and should not be factored into anything.

From a personal view point I'd say keep the tickets prices high to keep away the fair weather fans, no loss (tongue in cheek).
    Jesus horse,
    you were going great up until the last paragraph.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Jesus horse,
    you were going great up until the last paragraph.
    ha ha of course the last comment is not serious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭jclally

The deal the dubs did for the league was great. Back to reality in the championship though.

Take a clare fan going to thurles last week with 2-3 kids... pricey enough

jclally wrote: »
    The deal the dubs did for the league was great. Back to reality in the championship though.

Take a clare fan going to thurles last week with 2-3 kids... pricey enough
    how much?

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭The Maverick

billyhead wrote: »
    Folks,

Ticket collections are at the GAA ticket outlet opposite Gill's Pub at the junction of the North Circular Road and Jones Road. Don't go to Dorset street as suggested above, they will just send you to Gill's.
    On topic, €11.50 is a rip-off for food but any stadium/ festival bought food always is. Either bring your own or wait until after the match.

Ticket collections are at the GAA ticket outlet opposite Gill's Pub at the junction of the North Circular Road and Jones Road. Don't go to Dorset street as suggested above, they will just send you to Gill's.
    On topic, €11.50 is a rip-off for food but any stadium/ festival bought food always is. Either bring your own or wait until after the match.
    Oops! My mistake.

If i went to see U2 at a concert or a European Qualifier with Ireland I would expect to pay those prices. But what really gets my goat is that if you look any advertisements associated with the GAA it is all about the community coming together - the young kid putting on the football boots, the old man painting lines on a field etc. But the reality is is that they are just another money hungry organisation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

If i went to see U2 at a concert or a European Qualifier with Ireland I would expect to pay those prices. But what really gets my goat is that if you look any advertisements associated with the GAA it is all about the community coming together - the young kid putting on the football boots, the old man painting lines on a field etc. But the reality is is that they are just another money hungry organisation.

The GAA’s financial accounts for 2010 were launched in Croke Park on Tuesday, March 8 by Uachtarán Chumann Lúthcleas Gael Criostór Ó Cuana and Ard Stiúrthóir Páraic Ó Dufaigh.

Despite the challenging economic conditions, the GAA announced revenues of €58m, down from €68m in 2009, which can, in the main, be attributed to a drop in revenue of €9m (from €13m down to €4m) from the rental of Croke Park to the FAI and the IRFU.

Approximately 80 percent of the revenues were recycled directly to other units within the Association, with Clubs, counties and provinces receiving €48m from Central Council throughout the course of the year.

Advertisement