Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA pricing itself out of the game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,560 ✭✭✭✭kippy

penexpers wrote: »

You forgot to add the salaries of the top guys - those guys dont come cheap......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

kippy wrote: »
    You forgot to add the salaries of the top guys - those guys dont come cheap......

Christy Cooney is paid whatever he would have earned in what job he came from - I believe he is paid 150,000 per year or so but I believe Nicky Brennan was only paid 70,000 a year or so.

How much does John Delaney get again?

Christy Cooney is paid whatever he would have earned in what job he came from - I believe he is paid 150,000 per year or so but I believe Nicky Brennan was only paid 70,000 a year or so.

Don't get me started on the FAI..........

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Cummybaby

Old Trafford charges crazy prices as well but that is understandable given the huge weekly wage bill it has to pay out same as all Premier League Clubs. In relation to Croker - where does the money go?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Cummybaby wrote: »
    Old Trafford charges crazy prices as well but that is understandable given the huge weekly wage bill it has to pay out same as all Premier League Clubs. In relation to Croker - where does the money go?

I think you will find the answer in a previous post from Penexpers
    Quote:
    The GAA’s financial accounts for 2010 were launched in Croke Park on Tuesday, March 8 by Uachtarán Chumann Lúthcleas Gael Criostór Ó Cuana and Ard Stiúrthóir Páraic Ó Dufaigh.

Despite the challenging economic conditions, the GAA announced revenues of €58m, down from €68m in 2009, which can, in the main, be attributed to a drop in revenue of €9m (from €13m down to €4m) from the rental of Croke Park to the FAI and the IRFU.

Approximately 80 percent of the revenues were recycled directly to other units within the Association, with Clubs, counties and provinces receiving €48m from Central Council throughout the course of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

If you're bothered searching at all the GAA accounts are very open. You can find them on the website.
    However it would seem to me that your mind is already made up on the matter. The GAA as an organisation is expensive to run. Clubs around the country have facilities that other sporting organisations would die for.

Cliste wrote: »
    If you're bothered searching at all the GAA accounts are very open. You can find them on the website.
    However it would seem to me that your mind is already made up on the matter. The GAA as an organisation is expensive to run. Clubs around the country have facilities that other sporting organisations would die for.

Are you sure that last bit wasn't meant to be "other sporting organisations would die before replicating" Because as I far as I can see, the GAA are going to have a tough task financing all those expensive and ambitious grounds dotted around the country. For instance McHale Park in Mayo.

Are you sure that last bit wasn't meant to be "other sporting organisations would die before replicating" Because as I far as I can see, the GAA are going to have a tough task financing all those expensive and ambitious grounds dotted around the country. For instance McHale Park in Mayo.

... However it would seem to me that your mind is already made up on the matter. ... :pac:

... However it would seem to me that your mind is already made up on the matter. ... :pac:

If you keep repeating that sentence you might just be able to hide your inability to argue/defend your point of view.

In fairness if we look back through the thread we see people replying to your questions (Penexpers and sierra both quote you, and give a direct response to your valid question, yet they get the honour of being politely ignored). Consider any repitition as a second chance to consider a point ;)
    If you keep repeating that sentence you might just be able to hide your inability to argue/defend your point of view.

Ionically you actually answered your own question by saying that "the GAA are going to have a tough task financing all those expensive and ambitious grounds dotted around the country."

Perhaps this is where the ticket prices are going? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

First you tell him how great the GAA facilities are. Then you agree with me that the GAA is having trouble financing the very same facilities "other sporting organisations would die for"

Well I'm glad I answered my own question because I would hate to depend on you to answer it for me.

Finally I'm going to give this a go. Let me know if I have done it correctly. Here goes: "However it would seem to me that your mind is already made up on the matter". Wow that was so easy. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

My elderly parents were charged €54 to get into a match recently. Utterly outrageous money to be taking from pensioners.

€80 now for an All Ireland final. GAA is gouging fans.

Look at the costs on Cork(or Kerry) GAA people. It must surely cost over €200 for a man to bring himself an one or two children to Croker for a game, and well over that for a final.

Pointless comparing the event to any other sport, the GAA is the one organisation that prides itself on its grass-roots structure yet is doing so much to harm the same supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Gophur wrote: »
    My elderly parents were charged €54 to get into a match recently. Utterly outrageous money to be taking from pensioners.

€80 now for an All Ireland final. GAA is gouging fans.

Look at the costs on Cork(or Kerry) GAA people. It must surely cost over €200 for a man to bring himself an one or two children to Croker for a game, and well over that for a final.

Pointless comparing the event to any other sport, the GAA is the one organisation that prides itself on its grass-roots structure yet is doing so much to harm the same supporters.

(1) Which Match?

(2) €80 for the biggest event of the year is great value for fans of Hurling and Football in their respective counties.

(3) Organise a bus if your worried about travel costs, works out very cheap.

(4) Reducing prices for most games and letting in kids for next to nothing...the bastards!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

I went to the Meath v. Kildare/ Dublin v. Laois a couple of weeks back. First time I was in Croker in ages. Paid €25 for my ticket which I thought wasn't too shabby at all. Stadium was half full though. At half time time I went for something to eat and paid €11.50. for a burger and a pint which was bloody ridiculous. Wont be going again, not worth me while.

GAA need to wake the f*** up or this time next year there will be more stewards on the pitch or than fans in the stadium.

Its the biggest Recession to ever hit the country and peoples disposable incomes have been reduced dramatically. I went to see Ireland play northern Ireland in a friendly and the stadium was less than half full and I paid €30 and the match was meaningless. Professional organisation yes but 25 quid for 2 games that actually mean something ain't bad value.

Again the GAA get paid by outside companies for pitches to sell food. Why should the GAA do itself out of money? Oxegen and the Aviva are dearer for food and drink.
    padd b1975 wrote: »
    how much?

A dad and 2 kids would have got into the Gaelic grounds to watch tipp and clare for 40 quid in the covered stand. Price of Petrol to get them to and from Ennis would have been around fifteen quid. A pint in a bar on the Ennis road would cost a fiver. A lot of people would gladly piss away 25 quid 5/6 pints on a friday night and yet go cribbing when they can get into a terrace at a game for 15 quid.
    If i went to see U2 at a concert or a European Qualifier with Ireland I would expect to pay those prices. But what really gets my goat is that if you look any advertisements associated with the GAA it is all about the community coming together - the young kid putting on the football boots, the old man painting lines on a field etc. But the reality is is that they are just another money hungry organisation.

But the GAA should be the only non money grabbing organisation and be the only ones to force outside agencies to reduce their prices for food. Makes sense. Funny, I've seen Kevin Doyle in ads on TV for FAI soccer summer camps. Looks like the real community experience too.

This is spot on. Think Liam O'Neill is costing a hell of a lot less than Cooney.

I've heard Christy Cooney is building a mansion made of gold down in Youghal and throwing massive parties with Kristale on tap for all the GAA heads. I've even heard Liam O'Neill has been taking money from GAA coffers and bought votes to become next GAA president and they've been backing Sean Kelly for next president of Ireland.

If the GAA got half as much as Man Utd got in TV money from Sky Sports there would be 60000 seater stadiums in every county and everyone would be let in for free.

Look if the GAA were to reduce tickets to a tenner they still wouldn't fill the stadia because other costs are too great for families. A lot of people have no money left and are struggling to pay bills as it is. Maybe the GAA have found their equilibrium price using the supply and demand principle.

(1) Which Match?

Doesn't matter which match. It was too much.

(2) €80 for the biggest event of the year is great value for fans of Hurling and Football in their respective counties.

It's not "great value". It's too expensive.
    There is no justification for any increase in the current economic climate.

(3) Organise a bus if your worried about travel costs, works out very cheap.

I'll organise no bus.
    I was referring to people from Cork and Kerry, whose teams frequent Croke Park frequently, with the costs associated. Do you know how far Castletownbere is from Dublin, for example? (It's 150km to Mitchelstown, and that's half the trip, still in their own county.) Or Waterville?

(4) Reducing prices for most games and letting in kids for next to nothing...the bastards!

What?

The GAA is a (so-called) Amateur organisation. The ordinary supporter will forgo any club developments for the next few years, if that's what it takes, but there's no justification for raising prices.

A hell of a lot of people are taking one hell of an amount of money out of the GAA and expect the ordinary man to dip his hand in his pocket all the time.

Paying Christy Cooney's €150k salary, for a start, is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

Myself and my 8 year old daughter are going to the Dubs v Kildare on Sunday. 2 matches 30 euro. great value! In the meantime my daughter plays a match every Saturday and trains on Thursday in her club with fabulous facilities and great coaches and that costs nothing. That's where the money goes, to the community. If you want burgers go to the chipper, if you want sporting value for money, go to Croke park or indeed any county ground around the country.

My kids avail of GAA facilities, but they don't cost nothing. I have no problem contributing a fair amount to my local club. I do have a problem with the "extortionate" amount (my words) being charged by the County Boards, Provincial Councils and Croke Park.

What price is Breffni Park on Saturday? Granted there are two games, but most all the spectators will only be there for one team.

How about this for GAA Corporate greed/bullying?
    http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=150238

Absolutely ridiculous and, once again, shows sheer and utter contempt for the Club.

My kids avail of GAA facilities, but they don't cost nothing. I have no problem contributing a fair amount to my local club. I do have a problem with the "extortionate" amount (my words) being charged by the County Boards, Provincial Councils and Croke Park.

What price is Breffni Park on Saturday? Granted there are two games, but most all the spectators will only be there for one team.

How about this for GAA Corporate greed/bullying?
    http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=150238

Absolutely ridiculous and, once again, shows sheer and utter contempt for the Club.
    Do you really think 30euro is extortianate for father and daughter to attend Croke park for two championship matches?

Do you really think 30euro is extortianate for father and daughter to attend Croke park for two championship matches?

Yep.

Who, in all fairness, wants to see both Carlow v Wexford and Dublin v Kildare?
    Very few, if any, so packaging it as €30 for 2 games is disingenuous.

In any case, I voted with my feet/wallet and don't support these prices.

Yep.

Who, in all fairness, wants to see both Carlow v Wexford and Dublin v Kildare?
    Very few, if any, so packaging it as €30 for 2 games is disingenuous.

In any case, I voted with my feet/wallet and don't support these prices.
    Fair enough, if you think 30 euro for a full afternoons sporting entertainment for two people in one of the finest stadiums in Europe is extortionate then maybe GAA is not the best pastime for you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

What would you consider a fair price for 2 championship games?

And how would you suggest the GAA funds itself at these prices?

I think the GAA offers fantastic value for matches, Name another sport where you could get into 2 matches for €25 as was the case in Wexford park a few weeks ago.

To be honest I think this country is full of whingers who will never go to any match at any price but will still spend all day complaining about the prices of going to games.

They will happily spend twice that amount in the pub however.

adrian522 wrote: »

I think the GAA offers fantastic value for matches, Name another sport where you could get into 2 matches for €25 as was the case in Wexford park a few weeks ago.

To be honest I think this country is full of whingers who will never go to any match at any price but will still spend all day complaining about the prices of going to games.

Can I just say, the GAA is one of the highest benefactors of government sporting funding in the state, they also have a not insignificant TV deal, major sponsorship deals and most importantly a network of amateur unpaid players and unpaid volunteers. Because of these reasons I do believe the costs of match tickets to the games being talked about here are too high for the times we are in. If anything the costs appear to have gone up in the last number of years instead of the other direction.
    I've been to plenty matches when they were affordable.

I have no issues with local GAA and think its great to kids active and keep them entertained however despite what someone above said a lot of the trainers at these levels are unpaid.

Fair enough, if you think 30 euro for a full afternoons sporting entertainment for two people in one of the finest stadiums in Europe is extortionate then maybe GAA is not the best pastime for you.

You're being a bit disingenuous.

It's €30 for one person (plus a child), not two people.

And, as I said, for the vast majority of the people the second game is irrelevant. The price for Sunday should be the same as if it was for one game.

My last visit to Croker, wasn't cheap, but was for two games. I left after the first game, the second game was of no interest to me.

(The GAA have, by their own rules and regulations, killed the golden goose that was the match-day rental from FAI and IRFU. The ordinary punter is now expected to pick up the slack.)

€20 is enough for admission. As I said, the second game is academic and only an excuse to charge more.

They should cut their cloth to suit their measure.

No thanks.

I don't appreciate being called a whinger. I thought one was able to voice one's opinion? Apparently not!

I've said, I have stopped going to such games, because of the expense.

The excessive consumption of alcohol is something for another discussion. Suffice it to say I have no interest in comparing what some people spend in the Pub with what I consider a fair price for a match ticket.

Can I just say, the GAA is one of the highest benefactors of government sporting funding in the state, they also have a not insignificant TV deal, major sponsorship deals and most importantly a network of amateur unpaid players and unpaid volunteers. Because of these reasons I do believe the costs of match tickets to the games being talked about here are too high for the times we are in. If anything the costs appear to have gone up in the last number of years instead of the other direction.

I have no issues with local GAA and think its great to kids active and keep them entertained however despite what someone above said a lot of the trainers at these levels are unpaid.
    Irish sports council funding for developement with emphasis on youth participation: GAA 3.15Million FAI 3.61 Million IRFU 3.09 Million FAI got the most. I'll say it again, 30euro for two championship matches in one of the finest stadiums in Europe for two people is great value.

You're being a bit disingenuous.

It's €30 for one person (plus a child), not two people.

And, as I said, for the vast majority of the people the second game is irrelevant. The price for Sunday should be the same as if it was for one game.

My last visit to Croker, wasn't cheap, but was for two games. I left after the first game, the second game was of no interest to me.

(The GAA have, by their own rules and regulations, killed the golden goose that was the match-day rental from FAI and IRFU. The ordinary punter is now expected to pick up the slack.)

€20 is enough for admission. As I said, the second game is academic and only an excuse to charge more.

They should cut their cloth to suit their measure.

No thanks.

I don't appreciate being called a whinger. I thought one was able to voice one's opinion? Apparently not!

I've said, I have stopped going to such games, because of the expense.

The excessive consumption of alcohol is something for another discussion. Suffice it to say I have no interest in comparing what some people spend in the Pub with what I consider a fair price for a match ticket.
    You say I'm being disingenuous and you say a child is'nt the another person? Give me a break, the kids don't sit on laps for Jaysus sake, they take up a seat. You are right about the pub thing, a red herring.

Irish sports council funding for developement with emphasis on youth participation: GAA 3.15Million FAI 3.61 Million IRFU 3.09 Million FAI got the most. I'll say it again, 30euro for two championship matches in one of the finest stadiums in Europe for two people is great value.

You've obviously forgotten the 110 odd million from national lottery and central government funding that went towards one of the finest stadiums in Europe,
    The government and national lottery has, in my mind, also been involved in the funding of the redevelopment of other grounds and stadia around the country and indeed grants towards local GAA clubs - the GAA aren't and havent been paddling their own canoe on these areas.

The fact of the matter is most people are only there to watch/support one team, it doesnt matter who is playing.

Costs for the GAA shouldnt have gone up substantially though out the years (perhaps insurance) but essentially the main costs have remained the same, despite ticket costs rising throughout the same time coupled with an increase in revenue streams from other areas.

You've obviously forgotten the 110 odd million from national lottery and central government funding that went towards one of the finest stadiums in Europe,
    The government and national lottery has, in my mind, also been involved in the funding of the redevelopment of other grounds and stadia around the country and indeed grants towards local GAA clubs - the GAA aren't and havent been paddling their own canoe on these areas.

The fact of the matter is most people are only there to watch/support one team, it doesnt matter who is playing.

Costs for the GAA shouldnt have gone up substantially though out the years (perhaps insurance) but essentially the main costs have remained the same, despite ticket costs rising throughout the same time coupled with an increase in revenue streams from other areas.

Was the Aviva built out of fresh air?:confused:

I agree that most people are there to watch just the one game but as a neutral fan who enjoys watching GAA I try to make it to croker as much as I can because I love the atmosphere and watching games even though my own team (Limerick) rarely get there.

A quick question, would you only watch your own team on TV or would you watch other counties?

Browney7 wrote: »
    Was the Aviva built out of fresh air?:confused:

I agree that most people are there to watch just the one game but as a neutral fan who enjoys watching GAA I try to make it to croker as much as I can because I love the atmosphere and watching games even though my own team (Limerick) rarely get there.

A quick question, would you only watch your own team on TV or would you watch other counties?

Why, when there is a discussion of finances and the GAA, indeed the GAA in general, do people like to bring up Soccer?
    I haven't mentioned soccer or indeed any other sport throughout this whole thread yet you want to bring it up. As I said earlier if you want to discuss the FAI and their side of the rip off Ireland coin, I'd be more than happy to discuss it, but not in this thread.

If theres a good match on TV which has some interest for me, I'd watch it - its not costing me anything extra - one can only assume a ticket price for two cames in croker would cost more than if they only have one.

Right you wrote this first. I agree with you, they do get plenty capitation grants to help run the organisation.

Problemchimp replied with the above highlighting that Irish sports council funding for all three organisations is more or less equal.

You responded with the above to try and rubbish problemchimps argument on capitation grants. 191 million euro was allocated to the redevelopment of Lansdowne road.

I had a look at the 2008 lottery funding grants that were given out http://193.178.1.186/pdfs/08allocationswebformat.pdf. Everything from sports halls to Judo to sailing to rugby to GAA. Everything.

THe national lottery has indeed provided a good deal of funding for GAA clubs. The grants are there to be applied for. Sure the Munster branch of the IRFU got 3 million. Fair play to the clubs if they can get them. Indeed my own club applied for one and got one to build a hurling wall and to improve the pitch but they had to stump up a nice bit of cash aswell.

Although it is an amateur organisation it cost the Limerick county board €609,341 to run the hurling and football teams. Covers doctor's, physios, gear, team holiday etc. I'd imagine Tipp, Cork, Dublin would be in and around the same. Someone has to pay for this too.
    Why, when there is a discussion of finances and the GAA, indeed the GAA in general, do people like to bring up Soccer?
    I haven't mentioned soccer or indeed any other sport throughout this whole thread yet you want to bring it up. As I said earlier if you want to discuss the FAI and their side of the rip off Ireland coin, I'd be more than happy to discuss it, but not in this thread.

If theres a good match on TV which has some interest for me, I'd watch it - its not costing me anything extra - one can only assume a ticket price for two cames in croker would cost more than if they only have one.

I responded to Cummybaby earlier on whereby he said if it was a U2 concert or a Euro qualifier he'd expect to pay big prices for food. Why not in Croke park though for a Leinster semi final? Fair enough you havn't mentioned other organisations but I felt you were insinuating the GAA were the only ones to receive funding.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Browney7 wrote: »

Although it is an amateur organisation it cost the Limerick county board €609,341 to run the hurling and football teams. Covers doctor's, physios, gear, team holiday etc. I'd imagine Tipp, Cork, Dublin would be in and around the same. Someone has to pay for this too.

Does anyone know if its possible to look at the actual accounts or a summary of them? I remember seeing how much it cost every county to run their teams in the Independent months ago, most of the figures seemed outrageous (I think most were far more than 600k), but I'd like to see where the money went before commenting on it properly.

On topic, I do think its a bit expensive when you factor in all the expenses involved in making the trip, but if you're a Dub then I guess its not so bad.

Advertisement