Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

broadband in Portlaw?

Options
  • 22-06-2011 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi,we will move to Portlaw and i just wondering wich broadband there works good?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

i have no problem with eircom broadband out here anyway.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭HuntingDrog

hi folks

Anyone any idea what the coverage is like in Portlaw village (Queen St) for Mobile broadband?

was thinking of going with O2 but interested to hear if anybody else recommends any of the other networks....tks

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Avox

hi folks

Anyone any idea what the coverage is like in Portlaw village (Queen St) for Mobile broadband?

was thinking of going with O2 but interested to hear if anybody else recommends any of the other networks....tks

My friend has O2 and we live outside the village and she gets fairly good signal! Three phones have 3G signal basically full-time around here (my phone has 4mb up, 1.5mb down.)

We use Digiweb broadband in the home and are very happy with it though :) You can also get Vodafone and Eircom here!

Avox wrote: »
    Three phones have 3G signal basically full-time around here (my phone has 4mb up, 1.5mb down.)

tks Avox

Do you mean three phones with O2 have great signal or do you mean the Network 3 has great signal?

tks

tks Avox

Do you mean three phones with O2 have great signal or do you mean the Network 3 has great signal?

tks

Network 3! It's a lot better than O2 down here anyway. Vodafone would probably be the worst one as the signal can be iffy. Definitely not e-mobile as their signal is basically non-existent here!

• Advertisement

Network 3! It's a lot better than O2 down here anyway. Vodafone would probably be the worst one as the signal can be iffy. Definitely not e-mobile as their signal is basically non-existent here!

Fair play - tks a mill. Will try 3 and see if they offer a "try b4 U buy" service. I know O2 do...

I'll head into a 3 store on Saturday and try it

Hold it......

Avox - Sorry but I got confused there by your reply and tks for being helpful on the mobile reception

But my first question is in relation to Mobile Broadband....ie the dongle that goes into the USB of your laptop. I'm just wondering which of O2, Vodafone or 3 is very good in the village?

Avox - Sorry but I got confused there by your reply and tks for being helpful on the mobile reception

But my first question is in relation to Mobile Broadband....ie the dongle that goes into the USB of your laptop. I'm just wondering which of O2, Vodafone or 3 is very good in the village?

Yeah I was talking the mobile broadband. :) I tether it to my laptop sometimes and I've used the O2 Dongle before! My friend brought her Three dongle to my house before and the speeds were the same as on my mobile!

Yeah I was talking the mobile broadband. :) I tether it to my laptop sometimes and I've used the O2 Dongle before! My friend brought her Three dongle to my house before and the speeds were the same as on my mobile!

brilliant:D. am clear now. tks for coming back so quick.

• Advertisement

brilliant:D. am clear now. tks for coming back so quick.

No prob! If you've any other questions about the area feel free to ask :)

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

Hiya,

as mentioned above, out of all the mobile networks 3 would def be the best signal (based on iPhone4 3G signal).
    AFAIK the newest 3 usb modems are all H+ (up to 21M), not sure what speeds can be expected in Portlaw tho.

VF signal has improved, have gotten over 3M down 1M up on H + on an android phone at times out there.

Meteor/emobile & O2 - not sure what they're like.

IF you are geting a landline, the eircom exchange is in Main Street beside the Community Centre but is only on ADSL1 so max 7M.

I might be able to test a 3 modem in the area in the next day or so if you want to wait for results?

rgds

tb_

@ avox - it's prob 4mb down & 1.5mb up

@ avox - it's prob 4mb down & 1.5mb up

Oops! Accidentally said it all backwards!

I might be able to test a 3 modem in the area in the next day or so if you want to wait for results?

tks TB......if you can, that would be sweet....cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

HuntingDrog

sorry I'm late replying..

got to test the 3 network out there last week but only on a phone, not with the modem (couldn't find it :o)

ran a few tests, (The Square, Brown Street/Queen Street junction, near the bridge, near the school)

averaging at 4 to 5meg down, 1.5 meg up

hope that helps.

Advertisement