Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

free sql programs??

Options
  • 22-06-2011 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭

hey guys, getting back into coding a good bit and im gonna develop a few liittle projects to bring to job interviews etc.
    I am working on a little GUI in java and want to link it to a database so you can insert, update and delete records from the Java but dont have any SQL program to create the tables...are there any free online that i can do this with?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Lexor

SQL server express 2008 R2 & MySQL.

I've used SQL server express myself and it is very easy to use. Haven't used MySQL though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I'd recommend taking a look at SQLite. Unlike MySQL or SQL Server it has no external dependencies so you can distribute your application to run on other systems without requiring those other systems to have MySQL or SQL Server installed.

The only slight drawback I've found with it is that it doesn't support stored procedures so if you're used to implementing your data access layer using them then you'll have to rethink your approach.

For generating test data you can try this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

MS SQL Server it has no external dependencies
    well you can include MS SQL Server Express as part of your setup program just as you do SQLLite.

amen wrote: »
    well you can include MS SQL Server Express as part of your setup program just as you do SQLLite.
    Of course you can. The point is then you end up with the user having to install and configure whatever big database package along with the your application. With SQLite you just distribute an 800Kb DLL along with your application (at least that's all you need in .NET, I imagine Java is similar). For the situation described in the first post (demonstrating apps in a job interview) I think SQLite would be ideal.

Mind you, having reread the OP I think BornIn84 might be looking for a GUI to create tables with in which case SQLite by itself isn't going to be any help :).
    I have used SQLite Expert to create databases graphically but it's not free.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭BornIn84

The GUI is written in Java swing...the database connection will be in java too...the database itself will be SQL ..I want the GUI to display the returned information in the text fields of the GUI...
    So which SQL is best ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 johnsmith13

BornIn84 wrote: »
    So which SQL is best ?

Since your not planning to redistribute your application and you only want it for job interviews then it only comes down to personal choice.....

Personally I would choose MySQL but all the others are just as good. For personal use there no big differences

the point is then you end up with the user having to install and configure whatever big database package

No you don't. You can get a free embedded version MS SQL Express that you just add include with your code.

The user doesn't have to do anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 anyway

Google "java derby".

Derby is an rdbms written in Java, and has been around since about 1996, but under different names. I think it may be included as part of the latest
    releases of the jdk.

The results from the above search should give you a number of tutorials.

amen wrote: »
    No you don't. You can get a free embedded version MS SQL Express that you just add include with your code.

The user doesn't have to do anything.
    Really so it's just a DLL to include in your project references? I didn't know that. Learn something new every day :).

Really so it's just a DLL to include in your project references?

and horror of horrors there is even a special version for mobile phones.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

anyway wrote: »
    Google "java derby".

Derby is an rdbms written in Java, and has been around since about 1996, but under different names. I think it may be included as part of the latest
    releases of the jdk.

The results from the above search should give you a number of tutorials.
    I'd second that. Light & embeddable.
    And if ( or when) you needed a heavy duty solution I would suggested postgresql.

To manipulate the db directly for setup & testing, eclipse includes plugins that will connect to any database.

Advertisement