Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interview with College..

Options
  • 22-06-2011 7:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi Guys

I have an upcoming interview for Retail and Services Management in D.I.T. and wondered has anyone ever been to one of these before and if so what should I expect?

Would really appreciate any help on this thanks!!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭krieture

Hey,

i had a interview with DIT last year in relation to my mature student application. You didn't mention if thats the situation your in, but its my only experience. The course i applied for was the BA in Culinary Arts.

It was a informal chat with the head of faculty and one lecturer. I came with a C.V and we discussed that for the first 10 mins. After that they mostly discussed the course, asking about my interests in it, why i wanted to do it etc. they were all pretty basic questions. All in all the interview lasted 20mins.

Although it was a very informal interview I wore a suit. I noticed most the other applicants didn't but i was glad i did. So definitively dress smart. Also bring in a C.V that you know inside out and will help you discuss your life experiences up to then.

Look over the Course Specs and Modules. Pick out modules or aspects that appeal to you and be able to talk about them. Show them that you have done your homework and understand all aspects of the course.

I hope that helps and good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Mariabelle

Hi krieture

Thank you this has been really helpful and gives me a good idea of what to expect as I am also a mature student. Fingers crossed now!

Thanks again:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

krieture wrote: »
    Hey,

i had a interview with DIT last year in relation to my mature student application. You didn't mention if thats the situation your in, but its my only experience. The course i applied for was the BA in Culinary Arts.

It was a informal chat with the head of faculty and one lecturer. I came with a C.V and we discussed that for the first 10 mins. After that they mostly discussed the course, asking about my interests in it, why i wanted to do it etc. they were all pretty basic questions. All in all the interview lasted 20mins.

Although it was a very informal interview I wore a suit. I noticed most the other applicants didn't but i was glad i did. So definitively dress smart. Also bring in a C.V that you know inside out and will help you discuss your life experiences up to then.

Look over the Course Specs and Modules. Pick out modules or aspects that appeal to you and be able to talk about them. Show them that you have done your homework and understand all aspects of the course.

I hope that helps and good luck!

that is the course i am hoping to be called for interview on. that and the hc in culinary arts. ARGH going crazy with the waiting here

hdowney wrote: »
    that is the course i am hoping to be called for interview on. that and the hc in culinary arts. ARGH going crazy with the waiting here

Hey,

I was called and sent a letter towards the end of June last year. I was also getting worried at the time because i saw that loads of other people were getting interview dates.

If i were you i would call DIT and ask them what is going on with your Application. Thats what i did and got a reply within a week. Talk to Fabiola in the office or try to contact Joe Erraught who is head of Faculty.

Good luck in the Interview!

Hey,

I was called and sent a letter towards the end of June last year. I was also getting worried at the time because i saw that loads of other people were getting interview dates.

If i were you i would call DIT and ask them what is going on with your Application. Thats what i did and got a reply within a week. Talk to Fabiola in the office or try to contact Joe Erraught who is head of Faculty.

Good luck in the Interview!

i'm kinda afraid to ring again yakno. i rang at the end of may when they said they were still going through the applications, i kinda don't wanna seem overly pushy or owt yakno

• Advertisement

i'm kinda afraid to ring again yakno. i rang at the end of may when they said they were still going through the applications, i kinda don't wanna seem overly pushy or owt yakno
    I wouldnt worry about being pushy. DIT can be very badly organised at times and sometimes needs you to be pushy and inquisitive. They will understand your worry anyways because it happens every year.

Just be polite and say that your worried that you have received no correspondence and you want to confirm that they have received your application.

I wouldnt worry about being pushy. DIT can be very badly organised at times and sometimes needs you to be pushy and inquisitive. They will understand your worry anyways because it happens every year.

Just be polite and say that your worried that you have received no correspondence and you want to confirm that they have received your application.

do i ring the actual department? if so do you have a contact number by any chance? pls and thanks and fingers crossed

do i ring the actual department? if so do you have a contact number by any chance? pls and thanks and fingers crossed

These are the ones id try:

01-4024344 - Fabiola Hand, School Secretary
    01-4024345 - Joseph Erraught, Head of Culinary Arts
    01-4024347 - Aodan O'Cearbhaill, Head of School

http://www.dit.ie/colleges/collegeofartstourism/collegeofartstourism-schools/culinary/staffinformation/

You will probably get an answering machine but id ring all of them. They will understand your situation and will try to help.

Good Luck!

These are the ones id try:

01-4024344 - Fabiola Hand, School Secretary
    01-4024345 - Joseph Erraught, Head of Culinary Arts
    01-4024347 - Aodan O'Cearbhaill, Head of School

http://www.dit.ie/colleges/collegeofartstourism/collegeofartstourism-schools/culinary/staffinformation/

You will probably get an answering machine but id ring all of them. They will understand your situation and will try to help.

Good Luck!

i rang fabiola and left a message as she wasn't in the office. if i don't hear from her monday by say lunchtime i will try the others. i am well tearing my hair out now! the round a offers are out on july 6th according to everyone (and that is my birthday!!!! making it all the more argh)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 penguinpep

Hi Im not sure if this is the right place to ask but here I go any way? Has anyone that has applied as a Mature Student for Speech and Language in TCD got any hints/tips for the interview process.Any help would be much appreciated!! :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Might be worth starting a new thread on the TCD forum as they may well be different to DIT

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=468

Advertisement