Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet Broadband

• 22-06-2011 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Have Vodafone at the moment and it is very slow, was thinking of changing to Magnet but there are some bad reviews about them on the web. Can anybody who has it let me know if they have had any issues with it and is it simple to install?They charge 99 euro if you need a technician to install it

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Eircom gets the mother and father of abuse for their service, but I've used their Bband in two houses now and not had a problem, apart from when the modem failed, once. Speeds were high, no congestion, never had to reset the box manually.

My point is, don't put too much stock in internet reviews. Those who are less satisfied are more likely to complain, where those more satisfied are less likely to commend.

Tripadvisor springs to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭xxlauraxxox

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Eircom gets the mother and father of abuse for their service, but I've used their Bband in two houses now and not had a problem, apart from when the modem failed, once. Speeds were high, no congestion, never had to reset the box manually.

My point is, don't put too much stock in internet reviews. Those who are less satisfied are more likely to complain, where those more satisfied are less likely to commend.

Tripadvisor springs to mind.

+1 on the above ive had it since i moved outta home 3years ago great speed when himself is gaming and me on the net even when he downloading demos

as for the installation its fair easy install and if u ever have a problem that they cant sort over the phone the engineer is out within 3days id recommend them

• Registered Users Posts: 8 simonjoerg

It depends where you live and what type of internet you get with them.

I used to live a place where they provided their fiber connections, speed was great and at a fair price.
    Stability was great aswell, and no congestion.

However i been having magnet for 5 months now through cobber wires (lines rented from Eircom) and the speeds are not the best, there is a little bit congestion at peak times aswell.

Though 5 weeks ago our internet died and it still haven't been fixed.
    Their customer support are terrible, even though i chase them quite a lot i never really get any updates, just that my case has been transferred and they will be in contact.
    The guys that are in their technical support don't really seem to care about the issue.
    2 weeks into this i called them to chase them and mentioned that i didn't hope they where going to charge me for the service during this outage, the guy at the other end said no definitely not but even so the money was still drawn from my account a week later.
    You can easily spend 10+ minutes waiting on the phone just to get through to a customer service representative in peak times.

As for the installation its very simple and shouldn't take you more than 10 minutes to complete.

So to sum up, when its working its okay broadband - however if something breaks you are out of luck.

Regards
    Simon

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ciog52

Thanks, that's what I was afraid of that there is no customer service or technical support.BT as Vodafone was had good support the few times I needed it

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Am I Evil?

I have to disagree on the eircom comments.

It's not the service mostly. It does work well for the majority the issue with Eircom is the prices and how much they rip people off

It is infact a disgrace :pac:

For what you pay with eircoms 8mb package with about a 10gb download limit you could get 50mb with UPC unlimited

So I'd recommend UPC.

I'd avoid magnet for the reason Simon mentioned, UPC really are the best choice currently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Am I Evil? wrote: »

So I'd recommend UPC.

I'd avoid magnet for the reason Simon mentioned, UPC really are the best choice currently

+1

Deffo go with UPC if you can

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

UPC or smart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Op go with UPC, I've 20mb broadband (consistently getting around 18-19.5mb) and their top TV package with a plus box for €65 a month.

There really is no other decent contender in Ireland at the moment.

Advertisement