Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vintage champagne - worth anything?

• 22-06-2011 7:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭

When clearing out my grandparents house a few years ago, my mother found a really old bottle of Laurent-Perrier, I think its dated in the forties. Does anyone know if its worth anything? I've tried looking it up on several wine buff websites but can't find anything...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

bearhugs wrote: »
    When clearing out my grandparents house a few years ago, my mother found a really old bottle of Laurent-Perrier, I think its dated in the forties. Does anyone know if its worth anything? I've tried looking it up on several wine buff websites but can't find anything...

It's probably vinegar by now tbh. What's the exact name and vintage year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭bearhugs

Thanks for the reply! Its Laurent-Perrier Cuvee 1948. Yeah its probably disgusting by now, I have no idea! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭johnnyk66

champagne doesn't tend to last more than about six years :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,081 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'd suspect that its age would make it quite collectable, if not drinkable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

I'd suspect that its age would make it quite collectable, if not drinkable.

Spot on. It would have to have been stored in absolutely perfect condition to be anywhere near valuable. A collectors piece maybe... ring around a few auction houses. Bonhams, Christies, Spectrum wines... places like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

bearhugs wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply! Its Laurent-Perrier Cuvee 1948. Yeah its probably disgusting by now, I have no idea! :)

Willing to buy it from you. PM me.
    What's it's condition etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 adoodle

Hi

Just wondering did you sell the champagne? I have a Dom Perignon 1971 vintage stored perfectly and in great condition for sale. Not sure where to sell it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

adoodle wrote: »
    Hi

Just wondering did you sell the champagne? I have a Dom Perignon 1971 vintage stored perfectly and in great condition for sale. Not sure where to sell it.

What's your definition of stored perfectly?

Where has it been stored and how long have you owned it?

Hi,
    It has been stored on its side to prevent the cork drying out at approximately 12C with no strong odours. Got advise on this many years ago. It has been in our family since it was first purchased.

If you would like to see photos, let me know.

Hi,
    It has been stored on its side to prevent the cork drying out at approximately 12C with no strong odours. Got advise on this many years ago. It has been in our family since it was first purchased.

If you would like to see photos, let me know.
    and in the dark?
    I outlined the options for selling wine like this in this very thread - see #6

BTW just because it's from 1971 doesn't necessarily mean it's "vintage" champagne.

• Advertisement

Yes, in a dark place. Are you interesed?

It says vintage on the bottle

Are you interesed?

No, this isn't a sales board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

Just to let you know Dom Pérignon is only made as a vintage champagne.

On a quick search for reviews this seems to be hitting the over the hill age but still quite drinkable if in fairly good condition and kept.

I think your best bet is a decent auction house as it may make a couple to a few hundred.

Just to let you know Dom Pérignon is only made as a vintage champagne.

On a quick search for reviews this seems to be hitting the over the hill age but still quite drinkable if in fairly good condition and kept.

I think your best bet is a decent auction house as it may make a couple to a few hundred.

Great thanks very much

Advertisement