Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to switch network (Bill Pay)?

Options
  • 22-06-2011 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm coming to the end of my current contract with my mobile phone provider Meteor. I have checked the terms and conditions of my contract and I am required to give 30 days notice to end the contract.

I've asked around and I can't find a definitive answer on what to do if I wish to switch network at the end of my current contract (and bring my number with me). To be honest, as soon as I'm out of contract with Meteor I'm sure they'll allow me to get an upgrade but just in case they don't, I'd like to be clear on what to do if I need to switch network to get a new phone.

The two scenarios I can think of are:

(1) I notify Meteor 30 days before the end of my contract that I want to cancel and then go in and port my number across on the day my contract ends. However, I have been told if I call Meteor to give my notice that they will then not release my number to be ported when I request it and I will lose my number.

(2) I just go in on the day my contract ends (to 3 or O2 or whoever) and port my number across and when this is done I then call Meteor to cancel the contract. However, if I do this I assume I still have to give 30 days notice so I will end up having to pay that months line rental twice - once with Meteor (as my 30 days notice) and once with my new network.

I'm sure someone out there has ported from bill pay to bill pay before. If anyone could give some advice on the best way to do it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,224 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Once you sign up to another contract with another provider that will automatically switch your contract. Just give them the 30 days notice so that can't hit you for an extra month.

Advertisement