Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time buyer loan application.

Options
  • 22-06-2011 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭

If two people get married and prior to their wedding/ relationship, one of them has a mortgage and the other does not and never has, if after the wedding is the spouse without the mortgage entitled to apply for a mortgage as a first time buyer or does the fact he has a mortgage previously count?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

If the person who has never had a mortgage gets the mortgage in their own name only and the other person is not on it then yes they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Does it make a difference from the banks point of view if its a first time or a second? Is it a case of different interest rates?

no difference really at all. I was a first time buyer and my wife was a second time buyer when we bought a house together. We went through a broker (Irish mortgage corporation) and it didn't make a difference

OT but You're not a snyper from neowin are you?

Some info on mortgage interest relief:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/owning_a_home/buying_a_home/mortgage_interest_relief.html

cookie1977 wrote: »
    no difference really at all. I was a first time buyer and my wife was a second time buyer when we bought a house together. We went through a broker (Irish mortgage corporation) and it didn't make a difference

OT but You're not a snyper from neowin are you?

Some info on mortgage interest relief:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/owning_a_home/buying_a_home/mortgage_interest_relief.html

Thanks for the information!

..and yes ;)

Kev?

I should add the rates of interest would depend on a lot of things such as what you're doing with your first property if you still have it etc...

Cookie ;)

• Advertisement

First Time Buyer
    Where your new spouse was not registered on the house deeds or had never received mortgage interest relief on another property, they are now considered a first time buyer and can be added as eligibile for mortgage interest relief on your house.
    Will this make a difference to your tax relief at source?
    If you are paying more interest than your maximum allowed limits, you can receive additional tax relief.
    This will particularly happen if you are considered a second time buyer, as only €3,000 of interest can be relieved each year, as opposed to €10,000 for the first time buyer.
    If you are no longer considered a first time buyer, your new spouse can claim interest relief at a higher rate than you – 25% rather than the 15% a second time buyer is allowed.
    How much of a difference can this make? In the first full year you are married, this can make a difference of €2,500. Well worth checking this out we think.
    Edit: One clarification here – First time buyer status will only apply to a house for 7 years, so if you stay in the same house for more than 7 years, your spouse will not get the full 7 years of first time buyer status. However if you do move house, your spouse will get 7 years of first time buyer status.
    And thanks to Niall Brady of the Sunday Times for reporting this important story on the front of the money section of the Sunday Times today.

http://blog.redoaktaxrefunds.ie/mortgage-interest-relief-for-spouse/

cookie1977 wrote: »

i suppose it would make sence if i applied for mortgage interest relief.. ive had a mortgage since 2006 and have yet to apply, i see i can get up to 4 years retrospective relief...

I need to get a statment of interest paid from the bank

ca ching ;)

My cut is only 5% :P

you're great value at twice the price!

Advertisement