Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KK to Dublin buses still going via Athy etc- Why??

Options
  • 22-06-2011 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭

Here's something I can't understand. We spend a billion euros on a new M9 from Dublin to Waterford and yet not one of the Bus Eireann or JJ Kavanaghs services use it. It's seems crazy that there's not an early morning direct bus to Dublin via the motorway. They, for the most part, still snake their (slow) way via 'Comer, Athy, Kilcullen and even still Naas (seems so ridiculous) to the airport in like 3 hours!!
    I guess it has a lot to do with draconian licences that still govern these things? Or protect Irish rail? Still seems like non sense when they can fully deregulate the taxi industry to it's detriment. We really need a quick, direct motorway bus to the Capital. Places like Dundalk, Galway and others have them to the best of my knowledge. Especially as KK is such a big day trip destination for people staying in Dublin.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

mfitzy wrote: »
    Here's something I can't understand. We spend a billion euros on a new M9 from Dublin to Waterford and yet not one of the Bus Eireann or JJ Kavanaghs services use it. It's seems crazy that there's not an early morning direct bus to Dublin via the motorway. They, for the most part, still snake their (slow) way via 'Comer, Athy, Kilcullen and even still Naas (seems so ridiculous) to the airport in like 3 hours!!
    I guess it has a lot to do with draconian licences that still govern these things? Or protect Irish rail? Still seems like non sense when they can fully deregulate the taxi industry to it's detriment. We really need a quick, direct motorway bus to the Capital. Places like Dundalk, Galway and others have them to the best of my knowledge. Especially as KK is such a big day trip destination for people staying in Dublin.
    Certain times go via carlow, other go via athy, also castlecomer, cretty yard, athy, and a few other places are along that route where people who don't live in the city sometimes live and want to visit other people apart from those in dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Certain times go via carlow, other go via athy, also castlecomer, cretty yard, athy, and a few other places are along that route where people who don't live in the city sometimes live and want to visit other people apart from those in dublin?

Yea I'm sure they could still schedule some services via Crettyard or whatever god forsaken place/s along the way but some should be direct via M9. No need to run them ALL on old bypassed routes. They'd get way more customers as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

mfitzy wrote: »

So people in Castlecomer, Kilkullen and Athy should buy a car!

femur61 wrote: »
    So people in Castlecomer, Kilkullen and Athy should buy a car!

No, not what I'm saying at all, still have some services go via these towns but some should use the motorway direct.
    Totally defeats the purpose of an "Expressway" (laughable) serving all these towns. Like how many people are going from say a place like Kilcullen to KK daily vs KK to Dublin? A handful at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

There must be a case for at least 1 or 2 of these buses to go straight up the M9. I used to be a very frequent user of the bus to Dublin, and I've been on it many times coming from Dublin where they end up scheduling a Kilkenny-only bus due to the number of passengers. The bus still went the old route! I can't deal with it taking 2 hours to get to Dublin so I always drive now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 y3llo_w

I got that bus yesterday, KK to Dublin and it broke down on the way to Dublin nd then broke again on the way back aswell! First it broke down on the way to Dublin in castlecomer and we had to wait about 30-40mins for a new bus to come pick us up. Then on the way home on the last bus of the day, it broke AGAIN in Kildare. Had to wait half an hour before they told us a new bus would come collect us in about an hour. Luckily though they managed to get Kavanaghs bus to make a detour and come pick people up if they wanted to, but they had to pay an extra fare. Normally I dont mind the slowness of bus eireann that much, but those incidents just made both journeys ridiculously slow.

I drive now as well, so much quicker and flexible. It's an hour by car vs at least double in the bus stopping everywhere and taking the same route as the 1970s.No thanks!
    Kilcullen and by default Naas were bypassed on the M9 in 1995 ffs. Plus they are well served by their own local commuter services being so close to Dublin, they don't need (in my opinion) the luxury of all our buses having to stop there as well.

Advertisement