Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mardi Gras 2011!

• 22-06-2011 8:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

Its that time again! Mardi Gras! Anyone else going out for this?

Venues for this are: Phil Flanneries, The Icon, Angel Lane, O'Connells Bar (The Old Quater), Smyths, Mollys, The Bailiey, Charlie Chaplins, The Office Bar, And Nancy Blakes

Its on on the 2nd Starting at 6pm with the parade at about 10!

For those who are being the designated driver, the Cornmarket car park is open from 6pm-3am for only €3

For more information the poster for it can be found here:

http://xtremegraphics.org/oconnells/MardiGras2011.pdf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭kenoconnell

Fair play to the Corn Market Car park for getting on board.... Parade promises to be even bigger than last year!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Can you BYOB?

Can you BYOB?

No, drinking on the streets allowed but security and guards at entrances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

No, drinking on the streets allowed but security and guards at entrances

I was allowed bring in alcohol last year so long as it wasn't in glass bottles?

Has it changed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

You would wonder why Flannerys didn't get involved(not Phil Flannerys). They will of course reap the reward of the streets being full but I asumme the place is always packed at weekends so why bother advertising.

So are the Gardai closing the streets for this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I don't think Big Flannery's (as i know it) is connected to the other Flannery's anymore (including Phil Flannery's) as the picture of Big Flannery's has been removed from the picture on their facebook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Given that Limerick are playing Wexford in the hurling earlier in the evening at the Gaelic Grounds, it might be no harm to throw a few ads on Wexford local radio, just to let them know there is something on and it might tempt some of their followers to stay around for the night. It's not much use them finding out when they are already down and have plans made to go home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

You could bring drink in last year because i saw them giving people plastic cups by the barrier at the bottom of denmark st

The newspaper advert is the exact same as last night also.And its not very detailed of bands playing etc

Bar politics is huge in this too.Nancys didnt take part last year cause they feel it didnt need it but prob got a huge night.Ive heard the market quarter group is finishing up not sure how true but they have missed out on loads of chances like Halloween,international rules,Easter,Bank holidays etc
    The website is still stuck on last years info

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

Looks like Flannerys are pulling a Nancys this year:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Whats good for the area is good for ALL the pubs in the long run.

Mardi Gras should be incorporated into Riverfest or vice-versa, and make a REAL festival/event for the city! Theres so much potential for a big event to promote the city.

I know its late notice cause the draw was unday but Limerick gaa,and the market quarter could easly get together and promote the match and mardi gras even if only 200 wexford people stayed for it

Be worth 10 million to the city lol

• Advertisement

bigpink wrote: »
    I know its late notice cause the draw was unday but Limerick gaa,and the market quarter could easly get together and promote the match and mardi gras even if only 200 wexford people stayed for it

Be worth 10 million to the city lol

I'm sure this could be done in some respect over the coming week.

10 millin, yipppppeeeeeee:eek::eek::eek:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

You might want to tone down the promotion a bit, Ken. Champo's already been site-banned for starting too many threads about it! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

You might want to tone down the promotion a bit, Ken. Champo's already been site-banned for starting too many threads about it! :p

This wasn't for the O'Connells specifiically, this one discusses all bars etc involved :P

Edit: Just cause its in the O'Connells Directory on my site, thats just cause it involves them, and I don't have any for the market area etc. and it'll just get me confused if I make another one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Any chance of a bit of boobage being flashed or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Roadend wrote: »

How about moobage? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

Roadend wrote: »

last year there was:D you must give beads in return though.

PEOPLE THIS IS MARDI GRAS RULES DAM IT

sorry about the caps they are needed for effect:p

I can't wait to see Zuroph there: "Bbbbbbeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaadddddddsssss... Need Bbbeeaaaddddssss!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

So, BYOB or not? Ill still go if it's not but ill be terribly disappointed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭heresjohnnie

Limericks wrote: »

Its free in?!? These locals are trying to run this huge event without any funding or sponsorship - would you not just pay for your drinks? I mean, not to get personal about it, but this type of attitude is shocking! Im blown away by the work these publicans are doing, its so good and deserves to be rewarded by the city - I for one will be buying drink on the night and will be doing so in the pubs that are spending the money for me and my mates to have this great night out! It shouldnt be put to local people to run city events like this, our taxes are meant to cover this and as per usual these private Market Quarter events are always more professional and better ran then the councils festivals/events.

I hope that ye keep up the Market Quarter idea and search for funding or sponsorship to keep it running, its fantastic and ye should be proud and I would encourage people to head down and support these businesses! Just my two cents

Its free in?!? These locals are trying to run this huge event without any funding or sponsorship - would you not just pay for your drinks? I mean, not to get personal about it, but this type of attitude is shocking! Im blown away by the work these publicans are doing, its so good and deserves to be rewarded by the city - I for one will be buying drink on the night and will be doing so in the pubs that are spending the money for me and my mates to have this great night out! It shouldnt be put to local people to run city events like this, our taxes are meant to cover this and as per usual these private Market Quarter events are always more professional and better ran then the councils festivals/events.

I hope that ye keep up the Market Quarter idea and search for funding or sponsorship to keep it running, its fantastic and ye should be proud and I would encourage people to head down and support these businesses! Just my two cents

Excuse me, but the publicans will still get there take that night, if it's like last year the street party will end at around 12 and then there is no place to go but the pubs. BYOB is a fantastic incentive for people to go. Yes they are doing a good job but every other weekend of the year they are still charging huge prices and door taxes, so yes I think for one weekend of the year they should reward there customers and allow BYOB.

Also yes the street party is free in but what about afterwards, how much will angel lane or the icon be charging at the door? Fair play to the other pubs if they keep the door free though!

• Advertisement

You make it seem like the are charging beyond what they need to which is crazy with all the pub closures across the country - events like this are trying to get some business in the door and pay off some debts to keep these pubs open and their staff employed. A lot of people will go home after the street party or head to their pubs, there are even a number of pubs in this area that are not forking anything out but will surely win big on the night. Personally I just think its a bit of a kick in the teeth, and should probably create a debate amongst the Market Quarter people - should they place a small charge on entry to make up for those not drinking/trying to buy drink elsewhere and bring it in.

Nightclubs charge at the door because of their short hours of business and huge overheads for things like insurance.

Your idea of BYOB to a pub is a queer one, its like going to a restaurant and asking to cook your own food? Selling drink is kind of what they do - demanding that you should be allowed to buy it and bring your own is quite weird - or is the idea that you pay a nominal charge so that you can drink the drink you want,which actually may not be a bad idea because i remember trying to get drink last year was a nightmare! Having to get into the pubs and battling through to the bar.... if that is what your talking about i can see merit in it, otherwise its just extremely cheeky!

You make it seem like the are charging beyond what they need to which is crazy with all the pub closures across the country - events like this are trying to get some business in the door and pay off some debts to keep these pubs open and their staff employed. A lot of people will go home after the street party or head to their pubs, there are even a number of pubs in this area that are not forking anything out but will surely win big on the night. Personally I just think its a bit of a kick in the teeth, and should probably create a debate amongst the Market Quarter people - should they place a small charge on entry to make up for those not drinking/trying to buy drink elsewhere and bring it in.

Nightclubs charge at the door because of their short hours of business and huge overheads for things like insurance.

Your idea of BYOB to a pub is a queer one, its like going to a restaurant and asking to cook your own food? Selling drink is kind of what they do - demanding that you should be allowed to buy it and bring your own is quite weird - or is the idea that you pay a nominal charge so that you can drink the drink you want,which actually may not be a bad idea because i remember trying to get drink last year was a nightmare! Having to get into the pubs and battling through to the bar.... if that is what your talking about i can see merit in it, otherwise its just extremely cheeky!

Look, no one is arguing the fact that the pubs need money, what I am arguing is that they will make money if it is BYOB or not. You say yourself it was a nightmare to get a drink last year, why was that? Because they where selling that's why.

I agree that if any of the bars are not helping out and are gaining from it that they should be ashamed but I guess that's business. Personally I will probably end up in one of the bars that did help the festival as long as it's not insanely hard to get into them.

Also my idea of "BYOB to the bar"? I never said that. What I meant was, is it BYOB to the street party. Last year it was, why not this year. It's a very fair question. A public street is not a bar. Also I never demanded a thing. Please don't put words in my mouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

I'll bring my own beads anyway, just in case

Honestly, I can see where he's comming from with the BYOB, MOst students now adays (Including me) Drink a good bit with their mates at home before they go out, its to save them money that they dont have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 neilmpkeating

Excuse me, but the publicans will still get there take that night, if it's like last year the street party will end at around 12 and then there is no place to go but the pubs. BYOB is a fantastic incentive for people to go. Yes they are doing a good job but every other weekend of the year they are still charging huge prices and door taxes, so yes I think for one weekend of the year they should reward there customers and allow BYOB.

Also yes the street party is free in but what about afterwards, how much will angel lane or the icon be charging at the door? Fair play to the other pubs if they keep the door free though!

Not all places have a late license, pubs don't charge "door taxes" so theres no money from that and think your being misguided with your huge prices.... Maybe you should visit all the pubs and see the value that is being offered. Reward customers and allow BYOB, more like the other way round condiereing lots of poeple BYOB every weekend, you should see the toilets the end of the night with empty bottles!!!!!

I hear there's 10,000 beads, masks and T Shirts for people!!!!

Looks like a good weekend coming up.

:)

Honestly, I can see where he's comming from with the BYOB, MOst students now adays (Including me) Drink a good bit with their mates at home before they go out, its to save them money that they dont have.

Exactly, i know myself and my college mates would usually predrink in Castletroy somewhere and pay the entry fee and get like 2 shots over the course of the night. Sure The Lodge closed due to selling so few drinks these past few years (yet the place was usually still almost as full).

Limericks, I apologise if I put words in your mouth - I have no idea if the pubs involved make a killing off this party - I would presume they dont (otherwise we'd see more of this type thing up and dont the country Im sure) - but even if they do I'm sure for a number of them the additional cash raised helps them get through many other quiet weeks.

What should happen really in my opinion is that the council should step in to give some assistance and if that where to happen then I could see the merit of BYOB, but I'm sure the organisers (and the gardai) would be slow to see this event have an oxegen-esque situation where the culture becomes BYOB and then their wont be queues getting into the bars!

But I would be curious what is organisers' policy?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Why the hell would pubs put money into organising an event like this and then allow people to sit out on the street drinking their own cans?

Yes i understand the pubs have to make money but they need to think long term the benefit of the event

Look at how poor its being promoted on facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/profile.php?id=100001259799438

Anyone got a line up of whats actually happening?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Exothermic

Angel Lane have announced they're 21's for the night. What organisers are 18's for the night?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement