Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mardi Gras 2011!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

bigpink wrote: »
    Yes i understand the pubs have to make money but they need to think long term the benefit of the event

Look at how poor its being promoted on facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/profile.php?id=100001259799438

They should migrate to a page - make it a lot easier for people to track/become aware of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

I missed this last year, is there a stage/live music/DJ out on the street?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭code name paul

Itsdacraic wrote: »

all the pubs have bands and theres a dj and band on a main stage at denmark st/chapel lane from 6pm...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Is o connells 18s 20s or 21s?

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

Itsdacraic wrote: »

Also the carnival/parade whatever it is after the music was really good last year. Brilliant street performance crews involved. Pretty sure I saw the same group at the Paddys day parade in Dublin this year. Hope to see them back this year!

@bigpink think O'Connells is 18+, tho i was misinformed that Mollies is 20+ all the time too when its just some of the time this summer. Not sure on the legality of that, but I'm no solicitor:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭toushea

@bigpink think O'Connells is 18+, tho i was misinformed that Mollies is 20+ all the time too when its just some of the time this summer. Not sure on the legality of that, but I'm no solicitor:rolleyes:

Im fairly certain that management can set whatever entry age they want for any given night (as long as it is over 18's )

all the pubs have bands and theres a dj and band on a main stage at denmark st/chapel lane from 6pm...

what time does that go on until?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭Elbi

What will the age group be like at it. I didnt go last year, I imagined it would be a younger crowd kinda 18-21 year olds (I'm 27 but feel old ha) but thinking of going this year.

Elbi wrote: »
    What will the age group be like at it. I didnt go last year, I imagined it would be a younger crowd kinda 18-21 year olds (I'm 27 but feel old ha) but thinking of going this year.

With the different type of bars in the area involved and the different types of bands lined up, there will be something to suit all age groups. Last year was a great night with some people bringing there families to watch the parade and band earlier on in the evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

So, where can a 19 year old with a perfectly valid ID go this weekend that won't be full of knacks and kids?? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

No places would refuse a mature 19 year old,its a polite way of getting rid of scummers and teen boppers.I know 19 years old in icon every week and nancys and flannerys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

bigpink wrote: »
    No places would refuse a mature 19 year old,its a polite way of getting rid of scummers and teen boppers.I know 19 years old in icon every week and nancys and flannerys

Icon....Nancy's....no thanks :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I know big Flannerys are having a band and DJ outside on the street and will have an Erdinger & Heineken Tap set up just inside the door ( 3 - 4 feet from the door by law ) serving beer in a plastic pint which can be brought onto the street.

Beer Baron wrote: »
    I know big Flannerys are having a band and DJ outside on the street and will have an Erdinger & Heineken Tap set up just inside the door ( 3 - 4 feet from the door by law ) serving beer in a plastic pint which can be brought onto the street.

Very officially noted!!!:D:D:D

Great crowds expected for Mardi Gras so hopefully weather stays good and its a great night.....

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Icon....Nancy's....no thanks :rolleyes:

If you dont want knacks and kids where do you go so?

Try costelloes mickeys wicked chicken

Where are you trying that your not getting into?

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    So, where can a 19 year old with a perfectly valid ID go this weekend that won't be full of knacks and kids?? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Where could a 19 year old ever go in Limerick that isn't full of knacks and kids:P:P:P

Come to think of it Dolans is often open late, and depending on whats on it can be amazing craic!

Where could a 19 year old ever go in Limerick that isn't full of knacks and kids:P:P:P

Where can I go in Limerick that isn't full of knacks and 19 year old kids?

anywhere that doesn't leave in knacks and 19 year old kids!
    Theres a whole thread giving out about places not leaving in 19 year olds.
    Simples

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Come to think of it Dolans is often open late, and depending on whats on it can be amazing craic!

We come in peices EP launch I believe. 7 or 8 euro in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

Anyone know if any of the pubs involved will be showing the Haye vs Klitschko fight?

Jigga wrote: »
    Anyone know if any of the pubs involved will be showing the Haye vs Klitschko fight?

Yup, flannerys on denmark street. Most pubs around will probably show it anyway

Jigga wrote: »

Ya we have it inside tonight, little ellen st..... go on the heavy weight!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Very little promotion or advertisement done for Mardi Gras I believe.

Not particularly interested in it any, its the We Come In Pieces EP launch in Dolans tonight, so I'll get mouldy at home, stroll to dolans, and then Costies after. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Not enough promotion? Poor champo and Ken got banned on here for it :P

Twas also ads in the papers for the last few weeks (This weeks post had about 5 pages for Mardi Gras alone, 1 for an artical on it, 1 for O'Connells Beerfest, 1 for Smyths Mardi Gras ad, and 2 for the general Mardi Gras ad)

Not enough promotion? Poor champo and Ken got banned on here for it :P

Twas also ads in the papers for the last few weeks (This weeks post had about 5 pages for Mardi Gras alone, 1 for an artical on it, 1 for O'Connells Beerfest, 1 for Smyths Mardi Gras ad, and 2 for the general Mardi Gras ad)

Let me correct myself...For the grand scale of the event that it could be, I believe there wasn't enough promotion. Papers, fair enough, but that will only cover a certain amount of people. I for one, initially heard that Mardi Gras was being repeated this year through boards....
    Facebook covers a massive share of the young adult population... and to be fair, not much promotion was done on that.

Maybe I'm just nitpicking. Either way, I reckon its gonna be an awesome event, and I really hope it goes well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

roast wrote: »
    Let me correct myself...For the grand scale of the event that it could be, I believe there wasn't enough promotion. Papers, fair enough, but that will only cover a certain amount of people. I for one, initially heard that Mardi Gras was being repeated this year through boards....
    Facebook covers a massive share of the young adult population... and to be fair, not much promotion was done on that.

Maybe I'm just nitpicking. Either way, I reckon its gonna be an awesome event, and I really hope it goes well!

You are quite through with the facebook and stuff, It was fairly poorly promoted in terms of Social Media, which is the best (And cheapest in the fact its free) forms of Advertising!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Catch15

Anyone who 'likes' the Market Quarter or Icon pages on Facebook wouldn't have been able to ignore it over the last week, every so often a video or a picture would be posted from last year. Luckily, they put up a picture of one of the lads and not me, but still gutted I'm not in the parade this year :(

roast wrote: »
    Very little promotion or advertisement done for Mardi Gras I believe.

Why do people feel the need to complain about something they have no interest in and aren't even going to?

I do agree there could be a bit more promotion of the event, its still only the second year running, and this year theres certainly a much bigger buzz than last years. Tonight will tell a lot;)

I hope its a success, the only real issue I have is the bad attitude shown by some publicans in the area who are basically trying to get other people to do the work and put money into it while they sit back and reap the rewards. Might make for a good night tonight, but in the long run this attitude of stabbing everyone else in the back for fear they'll make more money than you is only going to cause the whole thing to fail...
    Whats good for the area is good for everyone. There'll be a knock-on effect for everyone.

• Advertisement

Why do people feel the need to complain about something they have no interest in and aren't even going to?

I have an interest in it, in the sense that it can bring a nice boost to Limerick city, and we need more event's here, to offset the general opinion that we are a city of scumbags and dirt as held by the rest of the country. I love this city and I want it to be recognised on a more cultural and productive level, and not thrown around in a negative context. We cool?

On a personal level - I wouldn't go because I generally don't like large events, pubs, and the whole nightclub scene etc.

I'm clarifying myself an awful lot on this thread. My bad. :rolleyes:

EDIT: To add to it.... I'm not really complaining. I'd prefer to think of my thoughts as suggestions for next time. ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement