Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mardi Gras 2011!

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Does anyone know when the fireworks will be set off? And from where?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Once again a great Limerick event ruined by the scum of the earth. Never again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

RonMexico wrote: »
    Once again a great Limerick event ruined by the scum of the earth. Never again.

How was it ruined? I ask because I passed by Denmark street about 20:00 and there was a lot of security by the barrier opposite Arthurs Quay and no real sign of any scum. Seemed to be a lot of people bustling about with smiles on their faces at that time.

Did the local scum turn up later and cause hassle?

You know a city has a problem when the prostitutes are dressed better than the locals.

Wall to wall scum. Recognised loads of known trouble makers. Major brawl outside Smiths. Gardai pulling people out of the crowd all over the place.

I left and went elsewhere. So did a lot of people I know. The talk of the town was how bad it was down there. Would be surprised if it even goes ahead next year. Unless all they want is a parade of scumbags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Agree with a few previous posts, full of scumbags. A couple of my mates are hipster types and on one occasion while we were on our way to the bar we were harassed and called "faaaggits", I stopped and approached a small gang of 13 year olds and asked the ringleader wtf he felt the need to abuse us for, he pointed at my mates jeans and said "...d'state of his jeans! look at them, they're blue! you're a bunch of faaaggits!"
    Such a crap taunt brought me down to his level, I told him that his hoody made him look ghey and I threatened him that if he kept talking I would kick the **** out of him in front of his mates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yeah, was walking up from Patrick St towards O'Connell St at about 21:30 and the amount of heads was unbeliveable. Walking down the street with open cans of Dutch Gold in their hands. And their little trolups screaming at each other not far behind them. Their usual weekend haunts like Kilkee and Ballybunion must have been deserted last night. They were like moths attracted to the light.

Really never seen so many of them gather in one spot before and I can only imagine how intimidating it must have been for any tourists who came to enjoy the event. As others have said they grab the headlines as ususal. If only we could sterilise them so that they couldn't bread future generations of filth.

Very negative stories all over facebook and twitter. All of course related to the crowd and not the event itself.

Makes my blood boil the way these parasites ruin everything in Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 blueivu

I was down there until about 10pm last night and was already feeling very intimidated, so went home. I couldn't believe the amount of people walking underneath the parade, even the ones with flames, it was crazy at the top of denmark street, there just was not enough room for a parade and gangs of ne-er-do-wells.

It was a pity as Limerick needs more positive events like this. Perhaps if there had been an age limit to get into the area as it was an adult/alcohol related event?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

RonMexico wrote: »
    I know the whole point if the thing is to draw people into the area during the summer but maybe moving it to the Riverfest weekend would be better. Last night the scum outnumbered everyone else.

You'd wonder what the hell their parents are thinking, letting them run around town like swarms of rodents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

I saw a man argue with 3 gards, then push and get abusive at one of them, remove his type push the gard away and try to fight him, the mans 2 friends then ran over and pulled their friend away, but the worst part was, as he was across the road, roaring im gonna get you, im gonna shot you at the gards, and the gards got a marked car, and 2 undercovers to drive by shortly afterwards NOTHING was done about this guy.

The amount of scumbags was unreal, but jesus, they should of been picking them off the streets at the first sign of trouble, not leaving idiots like that out around the place.
    complete failure by the authorities and the gardaí last night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Typical :rolleyes:

I hate the 'we can't do anything until something happens' bullsh*t!

The Gardai were so outnumbered it was laughable. Saw two incidents where they were having hassle with well known heads and they just let them off.

They never learn, a zero tolerance approach was needed last night instead of the farce that we got.

As for the parents of some of the younger ones, well if you knew the parents you would know why their children behave like animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

You'd wonder what the hell their parents are thinking, letting them run around town like swarms of rodents.

It's because their parents were doing the exact same thing at their age, it's a cycle through generations. A cycle that will continue until we sterilise the ba*tards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

First and last time at this for me (if it even goes ahead next year) it really shows what an utter sh1thole this town is at times once theres anything on that scummers will flock to, should have called it the Mardi Graaaaaaaaaas. Wound up going to Costellos and it was packed from the overflow of people not going to the clubs down town.,

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

krudler wrote: »
    should have called it the Mardi Graaaaaaaaaas.

Heard a few lads walking around calling it Gardaí Gras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Was it that bad?

After reading so many posts that all say similar about what they saw last night, I am now dead curious to see how the local media (Leader, Post, Live95FM) and the like of the IloveLimerick.com crowd report on it. Will we see headlines of it being a stunning success or similar stuff to what people are saying on here.

Sickening if the large scum element of Limerick could tarnish something that a lot of folk must have worked hard to get off the ground, and also cause so many people to not have a great night at it.

Kess73 wrote: »
    After reading so many posts that all say similar about what they saw last night, I am now dead curious to see how the local media (Leader, Post, Live95FM) and the like of the IloveLimerick.com crowd report on it. Will we see headlines of it being a stunning success or similar stuff to what people are saying on here.

Sickening if the large scum element of Limerick could tarnish something that a lot of folk must have worked hard to get off the ground, and also cause so many people to not have a great night at it.

no doubt it'll be a wishy washy article on how much family fun was had by all, not a tracksuit clad chimp in sight in any of the pics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

From live95fm 22 arrests were made last night. And women fighting on robert street.

They ran out of room in Henry Street.

• Advertisement

From live95fm 22 arrests were made last night. And women fighting on robert street.

Just read that. Gardai say it was bedlam on the streets last night, and the event organisers say that trouble was minimal and that a lot of the trouble was just boisterous teenagers with drink in them.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Just read that. Gardai say it was bedlam on the streets last night, and the event organisers say that trouble was minimal and that a lot of the trouble was just boisterous teenagers with drink in them.

The event organiser's are in damage control mode then. Can't say I am surprised really given the effort that they put into it, only for Limerick's finest to swarm in and ruin the night. They are probably worried that they won't be able to run the thing next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

full of scumbags.

Had to second this one! :D
    It was rank to see what turns up to things like this.
    Was fun in some ways though, the norms like myself were on the streets and pubs whilst the scum had to stay in the streets.... felt like good old school racism!

And on that note all I could think all night was .....

april___Rihanna_Ripped_Jeans.jpg

These blast points, too accurate for sand people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

blueivu wrote: »
    Perhaps if there had been an age limit to get into the area as it was an adult/alcohol related event?

A simple dress code would have sufficed. Big signs on the way in... look like a skanger... turn around. I propose boardsies are issued at the entrances to be the yay or nay sayers. :)

You forgot to add that the wearer of those looked more like this :D

female+chav.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

I swapped my baby for a westlife CD! :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

cab driver on the way home said there was a big scrap outside Burger King, bunch of heads and Jacintaaaaaas tearing the heads off one another.

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    I had a great night anyway, saw one or two incidents but thankfully none of them came my way!

That's the thing, I reckon whatever trouble did occur was out on the roads.
    There was a great atmosphere in the bars. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Guess with Trinity and Bitter End closed the kids and knackers had no where to go,because last year all the scum thought Mardi Gras was "gaaay"

I hated the Bitter End but it at least yits better to have a knacker bar in town so they haev some where to go

• Advertisement

That's the thing, I reckon whatever trouble did occur was out on the roads.
    There was a great atmosphere in the bars. :)

Isn't the "street party" the whole point of Mardi Gras though. You can have a great atmosphere in those bars any weekend.To avoid the street party in order to enjoy a good atmosphere kind of misses the point no?

I'm not sure the Bitter End being closed makes much of a difference either. That crowd would still have turned up now that the event is known about. Last year a lot of people only found out about it afterwards.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement