Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mardi Gras 2011!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

kilburn wrote: »
    In theory the Mardi Gras is a great idea but not orgainised properly. There should have been loads of security, private firms with those polish lads who take no sh**. Maybe the Denmark Street area is too narrow for it aswell.
    Every cell in Limerick was full on Saturday night, quite amazing. I know of one 17 year old who got an unmerciful hiding from a group of 12 year olds and ended up in hospital.
    At least we didnt have the riot which erupted on friday night at the tall ships which was kept very quiet

Where abouts did that happen? Was in Waterford on Friday night and saw nothing. I wandered about by the Quays for a bit, and then stood in for the bass player in my mate's band as they were playing as part of the Bulmers music trail thing down there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Funny how O'Connells delete links to this thread on their facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 DickBunce

I heard on the Limerick 95fm news that Tony Enright said there were no arrests during the Mardi Gras itself. Seems to be saying that the 22 arrests were made afterwards :rolleyes:

I heard Tony Enright from Icon being interviewed on the radio. What planet was he on on Saturday night? Here is a clip of a number if those arrested while he was on his front door 20 feet away. If you are going to go on damage limitation on the radio hire someone with better PR skills please. He did not do himself any favours. That interview is telling all of us here we are all liars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Monkey Beans

I went into the kebab shop on Ellen Street at about 8ish.
    I first had to get money at the ATM across from arthurs quay (I think it is NIB bank). There was an entrance into the parade route there anyway. There were 2 male and 1 female security officers at the gates.
    Approx 8 scummers about 15 years old with the white socks over the adidas pants and baseball caps walked up the entrance fence and one of the security men told them, forget it lads, ye can't come in here.
    i swear to God, no joking, they started firing stones or whatever was in their hands at the security guys, told them f**k themselves and just leapt over the fence - all 8 of them.
    I got my cash and in fairness, the security guys did catch and pull about 2 or 3 of them back out but I was left thinking, where are the rest of them and what is one supposed to do when met with total disregard for authority by so many scumbags at once?

Anyway, I carried on up to get a kebab. I had to wait about 15 minutes for it do I chose to stand at the door having a look around. it was actually good craic looking around, I mean to say the young wans about 13 - 16 were like absolute tramps, it was embarrassing to think how they got out of the house like that. Of course they were hollering and screaming at each other about beads and such.

it was only about 8ish, I could already tell how the night was going to be overrun by them.

I wrote a post here about 2 years ago also about how PINK in the middle of her concert had to tell young scummers to stop fighting in the crowd or she would have to stop the concert.
    I wish people would stop the head in the sand business...there is a serious scum problem in this city!

My dear friends, it's encouraging to know that there are so many decent people out there who think the same as myself regarding the "sick scumbag culture" that exists in Limerick City. I have to agree with a lot of the comments been made in relation to the attitudes of some Gardai. I was also out on Saturday night but luckily managed to avoid a lot of the trouble because I was based in Nancy Blakes. When I left Nancy Blakes, I was in good form and said hello and smiled to a couple of girls as I walked past them. Unfortunately, the girls weren't feeling my warmth, and turned to me in a very agressive Limerick City sort of way and said "go fucccckkkkkkkk yourself".

Considering I was with some friends of mine from New Zealand, they were taking aback by the ugly bad vibe of the well dressed young "shamette". Personally I just shrugged my shoulders and said " ah ya its good to be back in Limerick having spent the last month in Canada, which seems a million light years away compared to the behaviour and sick culture of the inbred scumbags.

Until you have a proper police force who adopt a zero tolerance approach, the knackers will continue to have free reign over events like this. It's a shame because the city needs more events like this but with better planning. Hopefully next year it will be raining and that seems to be the trick in terms of keeping scumbags away. They don't like rain, only sun. You see sun enables the scumbag to wear all their cheap **** from Pennies. Maybe they should of had a Mardi Gra sponsored by them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Something about Limerick these days thats ....

The inbred scum...
    The ****ty cars they drive...
    The crap music they listen to...
    The trashy way they dress....

My god, is Limerick now the Irish version of Alabama over run with trailer trash :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 southcentral lk

It's amazing how this thread started off 3-4 pages of pre Mardi Gras expectations and 4-5 of post Mardi Gras "SCUM and INBREEDS"!!!

News flash people are we not all from Limerick?

Saturday night was over ran by drunken little pups, young teens with nothing better to do. Get off your high horses and think where your kids were Saturday night!

It's a disgrace how the youth are carrying on these days but who is to blame like? You can't expect the guards and security to keep the peace, they were outnumbered 10 to 1 easy that video post shows that.

IMO drink is too easily got and kids are getting away with too much these days, control yer kids people!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Saturday night was over ran by drunken little pups, young teens with nothing better to do. Get off your high horses and think where your kids were Saturday night!

It's a disgrace how the youth are carrying on these days but who is to blame like? You can't expect the guards and security to keep the peace, they were outnumbered 10 to 1 easy that video post shows that.

IMO drink is too easily got and kids are getting away with too much these days, control yer kids people!

I think you're probably preaching to the converted saying that here :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22 southcentral lk

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    I think you're probably preaching to the converted saying that here :rolleyes:

Maybe. But the posts on this thread are sounding like people are referring to the whole of Limerick when they say scum bags and knackers!!

Nobody is saying that. We all know who that crowd are and there couldn't have been more obvious of a distinction at the Mardi Gras between those who were there to have a good night and those who were there to behave like animals.

Also if you think that their parents give a **** think again, many of the dodgy crowd ARE the parents. As they say - "Like father, like son."

Also it is total spin that it was only teenagers causing trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,050 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

hightower1 wrote: »
    Something about Limerick these days thats ....

The inbred scum...
    The ****ty cars they drive...
    The crap music they listen to...
    The trashy way they dress....

My god, is Limerick now the Irish version of Alabama over run with trailer trash :eek:

Thats insulting to trailer trash and Alabama!!!:( Trailer trash has more class,and Alabama is genuinely poor,moreso than this country ,with people who actually know how to behave themselves at an event.Proably because private security and police are armed and will taser, mace or baton into submission and arrest anyone acting the maggott within seconds over there??:rolleyes:

Fact is folks,Limerick has always had this element showing up at every outside event in the city.I remember the 2FM " Get Beaten up on the streets" events in the 80s and 90s .Always the usual scobes and knackers,[proably the parents of the current generation] were causing the aggro.Fun fairs in the city centre ,ditto.Fact is just about any mass event going on ,you will have the scum element attracted to it like flies to sh""te.
    Untill these events are properly policed and the scummer element is kept under control.. Limerick will never be able to attract or have a major event.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,050 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

You can't expect the guards and security to keep the peace, they were outnumbered 10 to 1 easy that video post shows that.

!

Actually...I thought thats what OUR tax money was supposed to be doing,apart from paying property speculators gaming debts and the very same troublemaking scobes dole handouts ,brat allowances and free houses.:mad:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

Any time the Gardai operate a zero tolerance approach to something, theres a massive public/media otcry. Just look here on boards at how many threads have been started about such matters. (not so often in limerick mind, but ye get the idea)

Its the public who are tying the Guards hands, and then complaining about them being ineffective.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

RonMexico wrote: »
    Funny how O'Connells delete links to this thread on their facebook page.

Well staff from O'Connells have been banned from here for promoting Mardi Gras, so they cant really defend themselves if the discussion moves to here...
    Fair if you ask me. [Also fair they got banned, they did break the boards charter rules]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

had to laugh at the local paper today saying that none of the 22 arrests were during mardi gras or around the area, what a load of bullsh1t, it was just a coincidence that 22 people were arrested the same night then? its an attraction for scum, so anyone looking for a good night should go elsewhere next year

Was talking to a bouncer from one of the neighbouring establishments. Said they were delighted they didn't participate in the event with what he was hearing on his earpiece/texts from other bouncers. Same guy was talking to the Gardai later on in the night and was told that the cells were full in Henry Street and that there would have been more arrests made if they had the room for it.

Oh and O'Connells are saying on Facebook that they were only responsible for security in their own venue but that they would take on board the issues regarding security.

Bit odd given that they were involved in the planning of this event no? Surely they had some input into the checkpoints on the streets/liasing with the Gardai etc.

Also it appears that certain bars wouldn't allow you leave the premises even with a plastic pint holder while it was the opposite in O'Connells. Anyone experience this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Why is it called Mardi Gras?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

el dude wrote: »
    Why is it called Mardi Gras?

It's at the wrong time of year for starters but I'm guessing the organisers couldn't think of anything original to call this street festival.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

I for one commend O'Connells and who ever else was invovled in trying to run something like this in the town. It IS a pity there is such a degenerate element to the city, but that shouldn't mean that you lock up your doors and hide. So, they need to improve on security, I'm sure they will take that on board. I hope its back in some form next year, with improved security.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It was meant to be a street festival with a carnival atmosphere with a similar theme to the real Mardi Gras in New Orleans but instead this year it was hijacked to a certain extent by scum who used it as an excuse to get drunk and pick fights.

It will be a shame to see this event cancelled as it sends out a mesage to the fifth of this city that they rule the streets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

They should make it something more uniquely Irish rather than robbing the mardi gras idea. Maybe the spraoi festival with traditional irish music played on the streets and a few irish games for the tourists.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Was talking to a bouncer from one of the neighbouring establishments. Said they were delighted they didn't participate in the event with what he was hearing on his earpiece/texts from other bouncers. Same guy was talking to the Gardai later on in the night and was told that the cells were full in Henry Street and that there would have been more arrests made if they had the room for it.

Oh and O'Connells are saying on Facebook that they were only responsible for security in their own venue but that they would take on board the issues regarding security.

Bit odd given that they were involved in the planning of this event no? Surely they had some input into the checkpoints on the streets/liasing with the Gardai etc.

Also it appears that certain bars wouldn't allow you leave the premises even with a plastic pint holder while it was the opposite in O'Connells. Anyone experience this?

Nope I got pints in several different places and was allowed walk around with them Outside, up until around 12ish I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Heard first hand from 2 friends that this happened in Nancy's and Flannery's.

You can't expect the guards and security to keep the peace

The full name for the Irish Guards... An Gara Síochána.....direct translations....Guardias of the peace.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure we SHOULD expect the guards to keep the damn peace!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Only way of making it undesirable to the ...ahem "undesirables" is to charge a fee to get onto the street. Which would probably go against what its all about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Mc Love wrote: »
    Only way of making it undesirable to the ...ahem "undesirables" is to charge a fee to get onto the street. Which would probably go against what its all about.

perhaps put a tax on wifebeaters, tracksuits and pj's!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭billox

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    The full name for the Irish Guards... An Gara Síochána.....direct translations....Guardias of the peace.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure we SHOULD expect the guards to keep the damn peace!

the guards did the best they could with the limited numbers they had in the area from what i saw

billox wrote: »
    the guards did the best they could with the limited numbers they had in the area from what i saw

That's the thing though, WHY was there limited numbers? Surely on a night with a 'festival' and a GAA match they should have known there would be trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭billox

simple there's a ban on any guard doing overtime unless the organisers pay the guards themselves and even if they did that they obviously didn't pay enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

billox wrote: »
    simple there's a ban on any guard doing overtime unless the organisers pay the guards themselves and even if they did that they obviously didn't pay enough

Coupled with the fact that there's a ban on recruitment, and large numbers retiring. Also just because there is an event on doesn't mean that the regular crimes that happen on a Saturday night will stop. You are talking about doing a large amount with limited resources.

The 22 arrests show you that AGS weren't idle on Saturday night. Watch the latest episode of "Traffic Blues" see what's involved in custody of 1 prisoner. Then imagine dealing with that x22.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

I don't believe the problem sits with the gardai, I think its their lack of support, red tape, lack of resources, and now their numbers are on the decline. Yes they are supposed to be guardians of the peace, however how can you do this with a baton and some cuffs when faced with people of that nature. The only way is to have the numbers and the resources in your favor. For todays Ireland I think we need an additional Garda force and a change in our penal system. But thats a whole other thread.

Oddly, I've yet to see a police officer in Europe given any cheek, why?...because they will shoot you....simples

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement