Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sonic generations

Options
  • 22-06-2011 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭

So here we are ,20 years later to celebrate with sonic generations title , we have been letdown for few years , i hope and believe sega got this right , same guys who did the sonic colours game which i thought was the best sonic game since the megadrive days. Hopefully it wont dissapoint

The demo be out tomorrow for everyone on both psn and xbox live but only be their for 20 days

http://playstationlifestyle.net/2011/06/22/sonic-generations-demo-coming-to-psn/

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Looks like it makes the same mistake of all the other sonic games by being uncontrollably fast which means unfair pitfalls and ultimately **** gameplay :( Hope I'm proven wrong, but doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

colours was brilliant though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Sonic demo up now , menu music classic sonic song has my blood pumping, you only play as retro sonic, controls feel alot better than sonic 4 epsiode 1 , green hill zone looks beautiful , little hiccups but little more polish this is a tease , cant wait till release date

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Just downloaded this and brought it for a test-drive... or three.

First things first- How cute is that old-skool, pop-bellied Sonic? :D

Anyways, it seems like good fun, but nothing great. I'm loving the ainmations on some of the enimies (the dance that the crabs do is great). I do, however think the game's a bit hard on the eyes once Sonic picked up some speed. Maybe I'm just getting old. Some of the flow you get while hitting the loops, and the likes, is great though. I also like that you can break from a spin into a run without having to jump or stop to do so. This maintains speed quite well. He doesn't jump as high as I feel he should though.

It seems strange that they don't give you a level of modern Sonic to try out too. I'm guessing the game will be pretty much half and half, so why only throw one half of this into the demo?

deathrider wrote: »
    Just downloaded this and brought it for a test-drive... or three.

First things first- How cute is that old-skool, pop-bellied Sonic? :D

Anyways, it seems like good fun, but nothing great. I'm loving the ainmations on some of the enimies (the dance that the crabs do is great). I do, however think the game's a bit hard on the eyes once Sonic picked up some speed. Maybe I'm just getting old. Some of the flow you get while hitting the loops, and the likes, is great though. I also like that you can break from a spin into a run without having to jump or stop to do so. This maintains speed quite well. He doesn't jump as high as I feel he should though.

It seems strange that they don't give you a level of modern Sonic to try out too. I'm guessing the game will be pretty much half and half, so why only throw one half of this into the demo?

Ya it did seem odd they usually use the pre alpha demo they use for e3 , cant complain really when i seen him tiny my inner child blew up and i was going weeeeewww , can only assume it be dedicated to the megadrive/ dreamcast fans :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Must say I was quite impressed with the demo. My only complaints were that it did get a little fast in places and until the camera panned out a bit it was hard to appreciate the scenery flying past. The jumping also feels...off. There's a misplaced weight to it which I'd imagine has to do with Havok, I'm sure it can be tweaked following the inevitable feedback from the demo though.

On a more amusing note, after playing the demo I fired up Sonic 4 again and my god does it look and feel awful in comparison. :(

gizmo wrote: »
    Must say I was quite impressed with the demo. My only complaints were that it did get a little fast in places and until the camera panned out a bit it was hard to appreciate the scenery flying past. The jumping also feels...off. There's a misplaced weight to it which I'd imagine has to do with Havok, I'm sure it can be tweaked following the inevitable feedback from the demo though.

On a more amusing note, after playing the demo I fired up Sonic 4 again and my god does it look and feel awful in comparison. :(

Only played the sonic 4 demo and the physics were terrible, also auto lock on target on enemies should never be implemented

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

played the demo, its too fast in places the backgrounds just become a blurry mess, and not an intentional blurry mess either its like the engine cant keep up, the problem with the Sonic games is that they basically play themselves, you hold the right arrow and jump at appropriate times, whipping through the levels and not bothering to explore anything, meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

krudler wrote: »
    the problem with post Megadrive era Sonic games is that they basically play themselves, you hold the right arrow and jump at appropriate times, whipping through the levels and not bothering to explore anything, meh.

Fixed your post ;)

Only played the sonic 4 demo and the physics were terrible, also auto lock on target on enemies should never be implemented
    Yep, that and the fact that Sonic moved slower than Mario for some inextricable reason. :(

• Advertisement

Just downloaded it for a blast there because I'm on a bit of a sonic buzz now. Geez, what muck!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Dreadful demo. Looks and sounds nice at first glance (certainly nicer art wise than Sonic 4) but the first warning come fifteen seconds in when you hit an invisible ceiling. Then it's new Sonic by the numbers - odd physics (stopped dead on loops twice, though it's a demo so can forgive glitches) and ludicrous speed. This game moves so fast it's down to both luck and memory to get out of your run effectively. It's a fundamentally broken design decision to favour such speed.

Sonic 4 was a deeply flawed game that did in fairness provide glimpses of old Sonic if never Getting anywhere near their lofty heights. Sonic Generations demo emulates the series greats in looks and sounds but falls apart the second you push right and run into your first unpredictable wall (one in the demo basically enforces a QTE). It's only a demo, but once more reaffirms everything that is wrong with modern Sonic.

Romantic Sonic's dead and gone, it's with O Leary in the grave.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Some more gameplay.

TBH, the gameplay for the first minute or so looks pretty cool. Indeed, the 2D sections look nice and fun in general. Plus, the Chemical Plant music is just awesome. But...

The warning signs are there. Notice the bit in the 3D transition where Sonic bumps right into a door he has to slide under. This is the inherent problem with modern Sonic, and one which pops up even in the demo.

This doesn't look awful (barring the dodgy skateboarding bits), but it's just a reminder that Sonic Team would better spend their resources making a big budget 2D game with tonnes of fan service than trying to shoehorn in crappy 3D.

And why, pray tell, does Sonic need a skateboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,349 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

And why, pray tell, does Sonic need a skateboard?
    Looks like a carbon copy of Sonic Adventures 2, Stage 1 (Good Side)

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

So does this have the same problem as Sonic 4 where Sonic has no inertia at all? I swear whoever made the game must never have heard of Isaac Newton.

Overheal wrote: »

Yeah I think the whole thing is basically a high-def 'greatest hits' package! It was the 2D bit on the skateboard that bothered me - especially since the player was only on it a couple of seconds before it disappeared.

For a hedgehog who is quote the fastest thing alive unquote he has an odd fondness for crappier forms of transport :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Overheal wrote: »

As far as I can tell from the clip it is Sonic Adventure 2 Stage 1: Escape from the City. Even the music is the same!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

why is sonic so small?

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    why is sonic so small?
    erinaceus_europaeus_ha3_2750.jpg

What you should be really asking is why his eyes are so big.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

ríomhaire wrote: »
    So does this have the same problem as Sonic 4 where Sonic has no inertia at all? I swear whoever made the game must never have heard of Isaac Newton.

That was my main gripe with Sonic 4. If Generations has it god help them, I won't buy it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

ok compare 1.18 of this video to 1.23 of the sonic generations gameplay video. sonic is tiny compared to the baddie in the new game, for a game thats a tribute to the past games, it looks crap

New sonic demo tomorrow , new level improved physics ,

http://segabits.com/blog/2011/10/17/new-sonic-generations-demo-on-its-way/

New sonic demo tomorrow , new level improved physics ,

http://segabits.com/blog/2011/10/17/new-sonic-generations-demo-on-its-way/
    Pretty ballsy of Sega to release a demo with new Sonic in it. It could trigger a rash of pre-order cancellations if it's bad as the recent titles. Fingers crossed it isn't of course, I really want that Collectors Edition. :D

gizmo wrote: »
    Pretty ballsy of Sega to release a demo with new Sonic in it. It could trigger a rash of pre-order cancellations if it's bad as the recent titles. Fingers crossed it isn't of course, I really want that Collectors Edition. :D

Me too , but no one will take my money for the pre order..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

I've always wondered have the current developers ever actually played the original Megadrive Sonics.

Certainly feels like they haven't.

I'll look forward to giving the new demo a spin (no pun intended... Ok, maybe a little bit intended). What's the actual release date for the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

It looks good, the music is great fanservice, but sonic is tiny, he is like mario before he gets a mushroom, really in the old games part of his attitude was his expressions and they are lost here, I am a fan of large characters like those in KOF 12 and dont like the scale used here. Also Sonic is going to have "friends" in the game, more and more it seems to be heading the same direction as modern games, ie crap.

They would be better off cell shading it and keeping the character of the 16 bit games.

That demo rocked ...

Wayyyyyy better than the first , older sonic is a mix of sonic unleashed day time levels and sonic colours , sonic back wooooo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I hate the bit where you get optimistic for a post-Adventure Sonic title.

Advertisement