Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Collapsing Bread

Options
  • 22-06-2011 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

Why does my brown bread collapse, having risen beautifully in my bread machine (Morphy Richards). It looks very sad.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It could be that you're using too much liquid - or that your flour isn't good.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

.. or too much yeast.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ttenneb

I've had the machine for a few years and contacted Morphy Richards who made various suggestions including increasing/decreasing the liquid. I'm assuming the flour is okay, because the same thing happens with different batches, and the thought did occur to me that there might be too much yeast. The shape looks great about 30 minutes before the end, but when it does finish it seems that there was a fairly large air pocket at the top. Maybe I should try someone else's recipe. I'm using the manufacturer's recipe. Thanks for the suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I have a Morphy Richards breadmaker and the same thing has happened me
    using the recipes in the book that came with it, specifally for brown bread.
    Too much yeast seems to be the popular reason.

I bought great book called " Fresh bread in the morning" which has loads of recipes for breadmakers and it has never let me down.

If you want a recipe for brown bread from it, I can post it.

Alternatively, try this idea of making a sponge the night before.

http://www.bakingmad.com/recipes/breadmaker/dans-heavenly-wholemeal-loaf

The problem is mainly with brown bread, like you, Huskerdu. I'd love to use your recipe, so maybe you could post it. I've been meaning to make a cherry cake for some time, even bought the glace cherries, so I'll try your sponge recipe. Ta muchly.

• Advertisement

Just realised that the link relates to bread rather than a sponge cake. Still, I NEED to make that cake!

Advertisement