Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ridiculous names for children

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

dee. wrote: »
    I actually like the name harper but I really thought they would pick something more memorable. Even the "seven" part is kind of ehh. I can't believe people are now using numbers to name their children though.

I like Harper too but I'm guessing the Beckhams didn't get it from the author of To Kill A Mockingbird, which is the only other place I've heard it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Auvers wrote: »

George Edward Foreman Jr
    George Edward Foreman III
    George Edward Foreman IV
    George Edward Foreman V
    George Edward Foreman VI

That is cool.
    Namlub wrote: »
    My friend knows a girl called Oral. Poor choice...

Orla + dyslexic parents?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,872 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Met a girl while in eastern Europe years ago and her name was Ira.

Probably not used here much. :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Ira's usually a man's name, e.g. Ira Gershwin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

I know of a fella called Aero, named after the chocolate... His brother got away with a far more conventional name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

I may have posted this already ..but I know a child called Dyson ....named after a hoover..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Met a girl while in eastern Europe years ago and her name was Ira.

Imagine she was from here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provo,_Utah

You can but wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

mattjack wrote: »
    I may have posted this already ..but I know a child called Dyson ....named after a hoover..?

A Dyson is not a Hoover!

Pherekydes wrote: »
    A Dyson is not a Hoover!

"sighs "...vacuum cleaner...........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I can't believe people are now using numbers to name their children though.

Quintus, Sextus, Octavian and Decimus will be gutted to hear that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

I can't believe people are now using numbers to name their children though.

Technically (technically), 'Una' is an Italian number. Sort of.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Lpfsox

In one of my first jobs I corrected a letter addressed to Mr Florence McCarthy (may not be the real surname) to the fairly obvious Ms Florence McCarthy.

2 days later I got a very angry phone call from Mr McCarthy demanding that his proper title be used and reminding me he was male. The then went on to tell me that he actually preferred to be addressed as Mr Florrie McCarthy and that Florence was a fairly common boys name in Cork (I've no idea if that's true).

Other odd names I've come across were Millie (short for Camillus) for a man in Limerick, a Mrs Oonagh McGoona, and best of all Mr Digby Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

Lpfsox wrote: »

2 days later I got a very angry phone call from Mr McCarthy demanding that his proper title be used and reminding me he was male.

Just like the guy in the song!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Ira's usually a man's name, e.g. Ira Gershwin.

Years ago there was an opera singer in Germany called Ira Malaniuk. And she vas a vohman :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Apparently the Beckhams let the boys pick their sister's name. They picked Harper after a character in their favourite TV programme, The Wizards of Waverley Place. Its not the worst name, but Seven is just ridiculous:(

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭raveni

mattjack wrote: »
    You'll never guess what the hoover was named after...

In fairness it is usually a surname.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

theres a few mad names, but spelling normal names in strange ways is worse

orlagh instead of orla

I know an Orfhlaith pronounced Orla. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Jackobyte wrote: »

I would have thought that Orla was the Anglicised spelling of an originally Irish name. I could be wrong though, but either way it doesn't seem that strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

Nothing wrong with that (can be funny when abroad though - a can most irish spelled names ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

I worked with a girl called Aoibheann and it was pronounced Evan. I just don't understand why parents inflict on a child a lifetime of having to explain and properly pronounce their names.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,131 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Orfhlaith is the original spelling and was shortened to Orla .
    From Or Fhlaith , Golden Hair .So not at all funny .

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Elba101

msthe80s wrote: »
    Have a friend who used to work in a Dublin maternity hospital-scary,scary name choices.Princess,Pocahontas,(seriously) Endurance,Krystle( lots of them,born at time of Dynasty), Anastacia,Female ( it was written on de name tag the nurse puh on the bay-beee)

If you're wondering whether or not to choose a particular name for your baby- say the following in a flat accent,and you'll make up your mind very quickly.
    (insert name) come in for yer dinn-ner before it gets cold.

I know a girl whos first name was actually female!! Didn't find that out for ages though. State of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭cowhands

I know 3 little brothers called:

Rudy Blu
    Ziggy
    and Lennon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

How so Joe wrote: »
    Family lives near me, one of the sons is Seán and the second son is John. Wouldn't be so bad, except they sent them to a Gaelscoil...
    Would they not be Seán and Eoin? Pretty sure Seán is a unique Irish name, whereas Eoin is the Irish for John.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Agus

Would they not be Seán and Eoin? Pretty sure Seán is a unique Irish name, whereas Eoin is the Irish for John.

Seán originated in the time of the Norman invasion from "Jean" the French equivalent of "John". "Eoin" was traditionally used mainly for the Biblical John but is now common as an everyday name.

You might be thinking of "Eoghan" which is indeed a unique Irish name which has nothing whatsoever to do with John, Jean, Seán or even Eoin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Just saw my 37 year old cousin's grandkid is called Ryleigh-Blu, Christ.

raveni wrote: »
    You'll never guess what the hoover was named after...

In fairness it is usually a surname.

Im afraid to guess in case Pherekydes corrects my mistake again....but go tell us...after J.Edgar maybe..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

There is a newscaster on today FM called Juliette Gash. I always just hear Julie Wet-Gash.

I can't help hearing her name announced without thinking "Yeh, lots of people experiment in college, no need to keep on about it".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I though harper sounded more like a boys name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

deathrider wrote: »
    Didn't Micheal Jackson have a kid named Blanket?

he probably did

and a lot more beside

Advertisement