Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ridiculous names for children

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Bentley

(nickname: Bent)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭up for anything

efb wrote: »
    Nonie, Leonie, both great if your under 2!

Don't know about that. Works well enough for my grandmother who celebrated her 100th birthday in January and my sister who celebrates a birthday somewhere above 50 later this year. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

snyper wrote: »
    There are 2 kids called "Precious" on our street.

Is their father Gollum?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭unknowngirl!!

All those names are tame compared to 'Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii' as a first name!

I'll never forget this story http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7522952.stm

Poor girl, more sense than her parents :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

People who name their children after who was number one in the charts should be shot.

Your britneys, christinas, shakira, rihannas et al.

Well Christina is a normal enough name. If I heard a child being called Christina, I wouldn't automatically think Aguilera.

Also I know people with a daughter called Rihanna (although they spelt it differently) but she was born before the singer came along. Parents probably regretting the name choice now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

i'd a forgein exchange student called maximus....

Spartan jokes never get old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

26 years ago I gave my daughter an Arabic name(we're Irish btw),my mother nearly went off the head.

25 years ago I gave my son a Welsh name....etc mother goin mad-blah blah

Now? Their names are preety bluddy good if I say so myself.

Not a Krystel or Blake in my house...no sireeee bob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Insulting Tags removed. Anymore and there will be bans.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

I like unusual names but I wouldnt go so far as Apple or Galileo.

My cousins boyfriends name is Noah and I think its really nice. I also like the name Eli. I wouldnt mind but I'm not even slightly religious but I like biblical names. My nephew is called Joshua and I can tell you my nana had a field day because it was a biblical name.

My sister in law taught a Jesus before. Thought that was hilarious. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Bentley

(nickname: Bent)

My friend was considering calling her child this! I persuaded her not to, pointing out its possible nickname. (Unfortunately she lost the baby.)

Some people just don't think!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Pdfile wrote: »
    i'd a forgein exchange student called maximus....

Spartan jokes never get old.

Surely gladiator jokes would be more suitable?

Heard of Rihannas and Beyonces round Tralee alright, there is a lady gaga and a ronaldo as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

mackg wrote: »
    Surely gladiator jokes would be more suitable?

Heard of Rihannas and Beyonces round Tralee alright, there is a lady gaga and a ronaldo as well.

Rihanna O'Se

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭stephen_k

Ok crazy names I've experienced

Lancelot
    Guinevere (brother and sister)

A friend of mine lives in London and has his kid in a creche with a kid called Huxley

A girl I worked with (bit of a AJH) swore that when she has kids, if they
    are boys she would name them Curtis and Jackson (50 pence's real name)...

What really get me is the people that name their kids the same name as there surname Neville Neville is a famous one, I also heard of a Loughlin O'Loughlin, Brian O'Brien why, why would you do this

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Some US relatives of mine have a son called Apollo IV (Apollo 14).

Also, the dutch name 'Jeroen' (Pronouced Yer-ruune)...I'm not sure if I love it or hate it.

Oh, and there's a guy in work called 'Alpha' who sadly doesn't have the last name 'Male'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

efb wrote: »
    Or they were consummated in a power shower...

:eek:
    I really hope you mean conceived

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

used to play soccer against a kid called Dwayne Pipe.

and knew a kid called Richard Slicker, when his name was read our at school it was R. Slicker.

poor kids.

When my second daughter was born in Galway, in the next bed was a couple with baby Shakira. Listening to them try and teach the knacker grandmother how to say it was hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

Solus.

Like the lightbulb.

Yes, seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

I don't understand why you wouldn't call your child something normal. You're not doing them any favours by naming them after the latest pop culture reference.
    You may think that view is outdated, well deal with it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭gravityisalie

i read an article in a uk magazine a few years back , a couple had called their kids seqouia and oak , another couple had a kid called chardonnay princess :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

A traveller woman Ms McCarthy from a town near me named her daughter Lady Ga Ga.

Lady Ga Ga McCarthy.

I heard this from a friend of a friend of a friend so it's more than likely not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

I don't understand why you wouldn't call your child something normal. You're not doing them any favours by naming them after the latest pop culture reference.
    You may think that view is outdated, well deal with it :pac:

I do think though that a strong name can give a child an innate confidence and self belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭conorhal

A friend of my mum's works in a Dublin Maternity ward, this conversation is verbatum.....

Her: Oh she's lovely, have you decided on a name yet?

16yrOldChav: Yeah, I'm calling he 'Yeahvenee'

Her: Yeahvenee, that.. an unusual name, how do you spell that?

16yrOldChav: Y-V-O-N-N-E

Her: Oh! Yvonne!

16yrOldChav: EeeVon? (makes a face) No, I don't like that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

If I'd have been names after the pop star with the number one record in the country at the time, my name would be Lionel. I'm glad my parents weren't mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bastados

carlybabe1 wrote: »
    Just watching E News (yes I know, pathetic, but its still better than RTE)
    Anyway, Sarah Palin has to get my vote for the most ridiculous names in one household:

SONS: Track, Trig (I sh*t u not)

Daughters : Bristol; Willow & Piper

and following in mummies footsteps grandson Trip

Soooo who in your opinion gets the vote
    :D yes but isnt it cheating to reference what americans call their kids...i mean c'mon theyre as daft as can be.

She musta been watching episodes of benny hill before Bristol was born :D

I remember a dumb name story a few years old about a couple that thought Jordan was a cool name for their new born son but wanted to make it somehow even more special so they swapped out J for a G and it wasnt till they received a card addressed to gordon that they released what they done.....numpties

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭dpe

I'll probably get stick for this, and don't get me wrong, I generally really love Irish names (my daughter has one), but one girls name I really stuggle with is Caoimhe -I'm sorry, but Quee-va sounds like a word for lady parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Saved myself years ago when noticed a sudden change of facial expressions, could have been a very nasty conversation afterward, as it turned out it was the girl I was talking to mam's name

Me
    'Hey, you know what name I really realy em, eh. em.....LOVE. Yeah Ursala, its lovely'

Also,I knew a girl I worked with whose sister had just had twins, a boy and a girl. Had to pull the best poker face ever when I asked what she had named them

'Oh Carrick for the boy and Shannon for the girl'

WTF???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

I do think though that a strong name can give a child an innate confidence and self belief.

I have no problem with strong names (i.e. Max Power), i have a problem with gimmicky, trendy names which sound ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 16,131 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

dpe wrote: »
    I'll probably get stick for this, and don't get me wrong, I generally really love Irish names (my daughter has one), but one girls name I really stuggle with is Caoimhe -I'm sorry, but Quee-va sounds like a word for lady parts.
    Thats because the proper pronounciation is not Quee Va at all , its Caoimhe with a hard gutteral C .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

dpe wrote: »

I know of a couple (not Irish) who named their daughter exactly that.
    And then moved to mainland Europe.
    Good luck to that kid at school....

Advertisement