Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ridiculous names for children

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,131 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I heard a request read out on TV Am a few weeks ago for the callers baby daughter called Ceolrince . ( Dancemusic ??)

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭dpe

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Thats because the proper pronounciation is not Quee Va at all , its Caoimhe with a hard gutteral C .

Hey, I'm not Irish and I've heard Irish people pronouncing it that way (otherwise why would I have noticed it? There's no way I'm getting Kweevuh from Caoimhe in the first place!) According to this site it can be pronounced both ways: http://www.dochara.com/the-irish/first-names/traditional-irish-girls-names-a-c/

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Thats because the proper pronounciation is not Quee Va at all , its Caoimhe with a hard gutteral C .

There's no such thing as a guttural C. The Irish C (/k/) is pretty much identical to the English one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

My real name is pretty ridiculous...nice one, mam.

I've got in-laws from the states who I have a child called Scenic and their surname? Root. Nice one. I predict years of wedgies and "kick me" stickers in that child's future. Great parenting all round! 10/10!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

A traveller woman Ms McCarthy from a town near me named her daughter Lady Ga Ga.

Lady Ga Ga McCarthy.

I heard this from a friend of a friend of a friend so it's more than likely not true.

that was the lady gaga I was referring to in my earlier post,I assume your in the vicinity of Tralee, surely you should need some special kind of approval from the dept. of not being a complete idiot to name your kid this. It reinds of catch22 where the majors name is major major major major.(might have an extra one in there)

• Advertisement

There's no such thing as a guttural C. The Irish C (/k/) is pretty much identical to the English one.
    I know exactaly to pronounce it , just not describe it :D.The C in Caoimhe is not Queee its its much more a celtic language sounding Cao .

Its the addition of the aoi after the C that makes it differnt to the English one . It comes from further back the throat .
    I agree that many call it Queee va now and it has evolved into that , I believe the Northern Irish version was always more a Queee sound ,.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

Was watching a new ITV show - "marriage ref" (quite amusing btw). Anyway, one of the couples on it had named their child Shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Some US relatives of mine have a son called Apollo IV (Apollo 14).

Also, the dutch name 'Jeroen' (Pronouced Yer-ruune)...I'm not sure if I love it or hate it.

Oh, and there's a guy in work called 'Alpha' who sadly doesn't have the last name 'Male'.

Apollo XIV or else Apollo 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

Some US relatives of mine have a son called Apollo IV (Apollo 14).

Also, the dutch name 'Jeroen' (Pronouced Yer-ruune)...I'm not sure if I love it or hate it.

Oh, and there's a guy in work called 'Alpha' who sadly doesn't have the last name 'Male'.

Apollo 4?
    XIV would be 14

Stupid name either way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

my godchild is called 'Bent' (but the kid lives close to Denmark, where it is an acceptable and more common name). Parents weren't too impressed though when I told them about the meaning of the name in the English-speaking world. You'd think people would google potential baby names just for that reason ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

To quote Father Ted, "Im not a racist"...but.

Tequan "Tea-qwan"
    Shaniuqa "Sha-knee-qwa"
    Fooquan "Foo-qwan"

For fcuk sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Shosh

Chris and Gywnth's Apple. Not sure if it's their daughter or son?
    Generally, I love weird names, especially biblical names- I am seriously considering naming my child Noah or Moses :D

My son is Noah thats not a weird name!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Slightly off topic and more unfortunate than ridiculous but my sister works in GMIT and last year there was a french girl there on erasmus and her name was Fanny Generouso

And she was from Toulouse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

stephen_k wrote: »
    Ok crazy names I've experienced

Lancelot
    Guinevere (brother and sister)

A friend of mine lives in London and has his kid in a creche with a kid called Huxley

A girl I worked with (bit of a AJH) swore that when she has kids, if they
    are boys she would name them Curtis and Jackson (50 pence's real name)...

What really get me is the people that name their kids the same name as there surname Neville Neville is a famous one, I also heard of a Loughlin O'Loughlin, Brian O'Brien why, why would you do this

Manus McManus

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭leviathon

I just got a phone call from some call center in india or somewhere far off... the lads name that called?? Balldeep - I kid you not. Almost choked down the phone. Admittedly it might have been spelt differently to that but that's exactly what it sounded like - Balldeep.

I'd like to think his last name is Inass

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

I heard of someone from Donegal calling their son - Púca as in the Irish for Ghost. That child is going to get the sh*t kicked out of them in school :o

lucylu wrote: »
    I heard of someone from Donegal calling their son - Púca as in the Irish for Ghost. That child is going to get the sh*t kicked out of them in school :o
    Or everyone is going to run away and hide whan he comes .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭stevejr

carlybabe1 wrote: »
    almost as bad as dymphna,:eek:
    consumpta, assumpta and dymphna, syptoms include uncontrollable runs, hallucinations and speaking in tongues :D

Same with Concepta, sounds like something Toyota would make.

What's the reason for being reasonable?

Is that an unreasonable question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Shivers26

Whatever about individual names, the ones you can quite easily pull the piss out of are the worst -

Randy Andy
    Lydia Chlamydia
    Tim - Nice but dim

Suppose you could make a joke about any name by putting an adjective in front of it, but some are just cruel.

Not forgetting 'Siobhan your knickers and answer the door' - I love when people say that to me like they are the first person ever to think of it.
    Also when non-Irish people call me in work and I get call Shee-o-ban or Sy-o-ban or the like.

The teenage girl who lives next door to me is called Blessing - kind of grows on you after a while

My brother very nearly convinced me to name my son Nemesis after the Greek god of retribution. Would have been so cool but the poor kid never would have been able to pull it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭dpe

Shivers26 wrote: »
    My brother very nearly convinced me to name my son Nemesis after the Greek god of retribution. Would have been so cool but the poor kid never would have been able to pull it off.

That is a ****ing brilliant name. I wonder if I can persuade the missus with our next one....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

professore wrote: »
    Manus McManus
    Anus twice in one name.

I would kill my parents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Lillylilly

Whatever about individual names, the ones you can quite easily pull the piss out of are the worst -

Randy Andy
    Lydia Chlamydia
    Tim - Nice but dim

Suppose you could make a joke about any name by putting an adjective in front of it, but some are just cruel.

Ah, I never thought my name would end up here :(
    My name is Lydia and only one person in my life has ever called me Chlamydia. I thought it was feckin' hilarious. Other than that- it's a pretty cool name.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Friend of mine was a teacher in a well to do all girls school in South Dublin. One of her pupils was called Truly Scrumptious after the character in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Lydia Can't get rid o' ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Lillylilly

Lydia Can't get rid o' ya

My da used to sing this to me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

Shivers26 wrote: »
    Not forgetting 'Siobhan your knickers and answer the door' -.
    its " Shove-on your knickers, your mother is coming" !

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

In college there was a Nigerian man called Wonderful.

All the lecturures where like "thats a fantastic name"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Michael Hutchence and Paula Yates daughter: Heavenly Hirani Tiger Lily
    The Edge's daughter: Blue Angel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I know a Dermot McDermot and a Connor O'Connor. Also heard a posh father call out to his daughter "Hermione" the other day. I know it's an old name but all I could think was that it was Harry Potter inspired!

Also know a girl called Shayla, which I think is a northsider pronouncing Síle or Sheila.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

there is a nigerian politician called "Godswill" which is freakin awesome.

Also, knew twins called "Winner" and "Loser". I kid you not.

Advertisement