Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ridiculous names for children

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Glinda

Was at a party recently, a very grand lady introduced her twin boys, Banford and Daschle (sp?).

I thought those were very swanky names. OH fell around laughing, told me later these are the names of the two boys in the Incredibles???

Poor woman, from how she came across I'd reckon she has no idea (but her OH obviously has a sense of humour!) :p

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭stephen_k

Thought of another one, I used to work in a call center type job and a regular customer used to call.... his name.... Hash Mistry!!! Used to keep getting cancelled of contacts list as they thought it was someone taking the p**s

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

President of Nigeria: Goodluck Jonathan
    McTigs wrote: »
    Slightly off topic and more unfortunate than ridiculous but my sister works in GMIT and last year there was a french girl there on erasmus and her name was Fanny Generouso

And she was from Toulouse

I think I knew her when I lived there...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I was in Holles St about 10 years ago and a Nigerian womans name was called out

she was called "Eileen Drumshambo"

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

I think it's also common that the most popular baby name in a particular year is also the name of a character from that year's biggest movie at the box office.

For example, Jack in 1998/1999, the year Titanic was released.

I'm just glad my parents didn't call me Biff or Doc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Capajoma

Soda or Seven.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

marty1985 wrote: »
    I think it's also common that the most popular baby name in a particular year is also the name of a character from that year's biggest movie at the box office.

How lucky I am! Elvis Presley started work on GI Blues on my birthday. Lonnie Donegan was #1 in the charts. Jeez, I dodged two bullets there.

Instead, I was named after a hunger striker. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,599 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

snyper wrote: »
    There are 2 kids called "Precious" on our street.

"It rubs the lotion on it's back or else it gets the hose, Precious"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I know somebody who named their sun Adame pronounced "Adam". She was really angry if you asked what the "e" was for. She was Irish and grew up here so no idea where the e came from or what she was thinking

I think cultural names can seem strange but at least that is just to people not from that culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,131 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

The newsreader on some UK channel is Nina Nanar , I always think an ambulance is coming when they say her name quickly .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

In an organisation I used to work for, there was a guy called Pierce Toal.

On the face of it, the first name Pierce and the surname Toal seem to be nothing out of the ordinary but if you say the full name quickly it can sound like pierced hole.

It just goes to show that even the combination of "normal" names can lead to problems and should be thought out fully before committing to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

deathrider wrote: »
    Is their father Gollum?

Nigerian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Parents in West Clare who named their son Anakin.

May The Farce Be With Them!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,131 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    I know somebody who named their sun Adame pronounced "Adam". She was really angry if you asked what the "e" was for. She was Irish and grew up here so no idea where the e came from or what she was thinking

I think cultural names can seem strange but at least that is just to people not from that culture.
    Was it a new found sun they called Adame ? I can forgive that but not if it was their son ,.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Auvers wrote: »
    George Foreman's male kids are all called George
    George Edward Foreman Jr
    George Edward Foreman III
    George Edward Foreman IV
    George Edward Foreman V
    George Edward Foreman VI
    from wiki:
    He has two daughters, Freeda-George and Georgetta. He also has three daughters from a separate relationship, Natalia, Michi and Leola. He also adopted a daughter, Isabella Brandie Lilja (Foreman), in 2009.

cant believe no-one posted this, yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

msthe80s wrote: »
    The really annoying thing about some Irish names is that they're not spelt correctly.If you were French and had accent grave/aigu on your name,it'd be used properly.
    Here,you nearly need to bribe people to get them to use fadas on names,wouldn't annoy me so much except this is Ireland and therefore shouldn't be an issue.
    As for showing people how to 'do' fada on computer......don't get me started.:mad:

......takes long sigh and automatically reduces high blood pressure(she hopes:rolleyes:)

I know what you mean about the fadas! Without a fada, my name is usually pronounced completely wrong, because it was never put in to the computer in school. Síne without the fada...I can't count how many times I've been calld "sign".

Actually, there was a sub teacher in once, he looked at my name on the teacher's roll, and called me "chow mein":confused:

I kid you not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭Archeron

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    The newsreader on some UK channel is Nina Nanar , I always think an ambulance is coming when they say her name quickly .

The first time I heard that I rewound the show a number of times to check they werent taking the p*iss.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

enda1 wrote: »
    Apollo XIV or else Apollo 4?
    Remouad wrote: »
    Apollo 4?
    XIV would be 14

Stupid name either way

Typo....I forgot the X. Hard to keep track...they have 14 kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 karr3

I know a couple who wanted to name their new born daughter Kerry, nothing wrong with that.....only their surname is Farmer...never dawned on them that her name would be Kerry Farmer until it was pointed out to them..needless to say they didn't call her Kerry....she was named Megan!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

Shivers26 wrote: »
    Not forgetting 'Siobhan your knickers and answer the door' - I love when people say that to me like they are the first person ever to think of it.
    Also when non-Irish people call me in work and I get call Shee-o-ban or Sy-o-ban or the like.

The teenage girl who lives next door to me is called Blessing - kind of grows on you after a while

My brother very nearly convinced me to name my son Nemesis after the Greek god of retribution. Would have been so cool but the poor kid never would have been able to pull it off.

Thank fcuk he didn't manage to convince you. Would have been a nightmare for the poor chap. Nemesis is actually the Greek goddess of retribution.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Mannix Flynn

Pippa

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Was it a new found sun they called Adame ? I can forgive that but not if it was their son ,.:D
    The father had no say and was not happy about it. I think she did it intentionally to annoy him too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

That makes me sort of angry cos that kid is gonna be asked about that countless times and he's not gonna know why.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

Maybe they thought it was going to be a girl 'A Dame'? ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

karr3 wrote: »
    I know a couple who wanted to name their new born daughter Kerry, nothing wrong with that.....only their surname is Farmer...never dawned on them that her name would be Kerry Farmer until it was pointed out to them..needless to say they didn't call her Kerry....she was named Megan!!
    Some people are slow bastards though. You have to be damn careful with some names. Richard and Michael are fine upstanding names, but in the hands of slow witted 'rents? I've known a Dick Hare and Mickey Staines. Basically if your second name is something like Staines you're fcuked anyway. I've met three Neil Armstrongs born long after the moon landings and their parents with the exception of one didn't spot the issue. I was introduced to a Paul McCartney too. Fine, but think of the kids ffs.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭dpe

Wibbs wrote: »
    Some people are slow bastards though. You have to be damn careful with some names. Richard and Michael are fine upstanding names, but in the hands of slow witted 'rents? I've known a Dick Hare and Mickey Staines. Basically if your second name is something like Staines you're fcuked anyway. I've met three Neil Armstrongs born long after the moon landings and their parents with the exception of one didn't spot the issue. I was introduced to a Paul McCartney too. Fine, but think of the kids ffs.

Michael Hunt. Knew one at school. Poor bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Have you ever heard a woman screaming at her daughter Chantelle in a heavy Dundalk accent? It's quite an experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭madmammy

in the ward in hospital after having my 1st daughter there was a woman across from me who was trying to think of a name for her son
    she asked me if i had of had a boy what was the name i picked out so i said nathan....she said she wanted something different soe she changed it to nathon with the "O" being very pronounced when they said it...so thanks to me a little boy in dundalk is stuck with that
    i'm not so keen on that name now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Peppa
    Dora
    Turlough
    Rumplelstiltskin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Jesus

Advertisement