Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ridiculous names for children

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Wibbs wrote: »
    Some people are slow bastards though. You have to be damn careful with some names. Richard and Michael are fine upstanding names, but in the hands of slow witted 'rents? I've known a Dick Hare and Mickey Staines.
    Met a Richard Hunter once.

Poor lad was only 14, and he already had a "kill me now!" look in his eyes! >.<

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Richard/Dick
    Bono
    Lara
    Candice
    Chantelle
    Charleen
    Coco
    Channel
    Chantel
    Apple
    Peaches
    Daisy
    Hyacinth
    Brooklyn
    Cruz

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

My son went to playschool with a girl called Pocahontas Murphy. I don't know but some parents must hate their kids... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭ArtyM

EGAR wrote: »
    My son went to playschool with a girl called Pocahontas Murphy. I don't know but some parents must hate their kids... :(

Bet she still got called spud.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

McTigs wrote: »
    Slightly off topic and more unfortunate than ridiculous but my sister works in GMIT and last year there was a french girl there on erasmus and her name was Fanny Generouso

And she was from Toulouse

This is 100% true. Genuinely thought it was a piss take until I met her at a mates party one night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I'll never forget two sweet adorable pig-tailed girls who were twins called Pinky and Perky. The names really suited them, but I doubt it now they would be in their twenties!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭busyliving

Auvers wrote: »
    George Foreman's male kids are all called George

George Edward Foreman Jr
    George Edward Foreman III
    George Edward Foreman IV
    George Edward Foreman V
    George Edward Foreman VI

Their soo good, he put his name on them:D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Dorcas. What kind of a name is that?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Larianne wrote: »
    Dorcas. What kind of a name is that?!

DORCAS
    Usage: Biblical
    Pronounced: DAWR-kəs (English) [key]
    Derived from Greek δορκας (dorkas) meaning "gazelle". This is the Greek translation of the name Tabitha in the New Testament (see Acts 9:36).

Source: behindthename.com

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

my mother knows a girl who named her son dyson

I believe I know this child....and in Finglas I know a couple who named their son Jamie Lee.....not too bad until you hear their surname was Curtis..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭round tower huntsman

was in the vets one day and there was a chav looking fella with a english bull terrier, had two lilttle girls with him..............britanny and paris:eek: i sxit you not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

I met a yank girl who was called '' Frenchie Bumsworth '' :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Adhamh

I can't find the link, but deep in farthest Lousiana, a woman named her daughter Le-a. Not too mad considering what others name their kids, but how would you go about pronouncing that?

Leah?

Layah?

No, supposedly it's pronounced Ledasha.

Some people...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,700 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

McTigs wrote: »
    Slightly off topic and more unfortunate than ridiculous but my sister works in GMIT and last year there was a french girl there on erasmus and her name was Fanny Generouso

And she was from Toulouse
    This is 100% true. Genuinely thought it was a piss take until I met her at a mates party one night.

And was she ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I know a Tiger Lily, it sounds so weird with an Irish surname.
    Gerard Way, lead singer of My Chemical Romance's daughter is called Bandit Lee Way:(
    Mind you it's not a recent thing. There is a really old grave, in a local graveyard, with the name Fan le Trobe, on it. I cant help but picture her as a can can dancer/ stripper:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Agent Oso

Bear Grylls, legally changed his name from Edward to Bear, he went on to call his kids, Marmaduke Huckleberry & eh Jesse.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Poutbutton

There are 2 little girls on my street, sisters called Kerrie & Claire, not too bad but too counties all the same.
    I have cousins in Salem, USA & they named their 2 sons Hamilton & Harrison. They sounded like really strong names when they were babies, I often wonder what their nick names in school are Harry is an obvious one but Hammy? As in Hamster?
    There was a Jamie-Lee Curtis in my college class.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭dpe

doovdela wrote: »
    Jesus

Many, many, men in South America would disagree with you, and to be fair "Hay-zoos" sounds kinda cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

I really just dislike when people spell normal names weirdly. :/ I think it always looks silly.

Or when siblings have matchy names.

Adhamh wrote: »
    I can't find the link, but deep in farthest Lousiana, a woman named her daughter Le-a. Not too mad considering what others name their kids, but how would you go about pronouncing that?

Leah?

Layah?

No, supposedly it's pronounced Ledasha.

Some people...

Le-a is an urban legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Babyblessed

Oh My Life..... this thread has provided great entertainment on an otherwise boring Friday night..... OH is wondering what I have been drinking!!!!!

Well Christina is a normal enough name. If I heard a child being called Christina, I wouldn't automatically think Aguilera.

Also I know people with a daughter called Rihanna (although they spelt it differently) but she was born before the singer came along. Parents probably regretting the name choice now!

Rhianne/Rhianna is actually Welsh I believe....quite an old name!

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    The newsreader on some UK channel is Nina Nanar , I always think an ambulance is coming when they say her name quickly .

LOL.... I always think the same!

chughes wrote: »
    In an organisation I used to work for, there was a guy called Pierce Toal.

On the face of it, the first name Pierce and the surname Toal seem to be nothing out of the ordinary but if you say the full name quickly it can sound like pierced hole.

It just goes to show that even the combination of "normal" names can lead to problems and should be thought out fully before committing to it.

I said in another thread on here... One of the surnames in my OH family was Borer... grand enough so long as you dont call your daughter Fanny...........

karr3 wrote: »
    I know a couple who wanted to name their new born daughter Kerry, nothing wrong with that.....only their surname is Farmer...never dawned on them that her name would be Kerry Farmer until it was pointed out to them..needless to say they didn't call her Kerry....she was named Megan!!

Kerry is my daughters name.... fine enough again but a nightmare if you live in Cork; we lived in the UK when she was born BTW!

Thanks for the entertainment! Gotta say I thought long and hard about my kids names! Although my youngests initials are JC... My nephews initials are JDCK... deliberately on behalf of my b-i-l (Jack Daniels and CoKe)

• Advertisement

BTW... I know 2 Nonie's..... both in their 60's. One is a pet name for Norah, the other I really dont know! Its normal for me but a source of great amusement for my OH... 'no-knees' how does she walk.......

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

BTW... I know 2 Nonie's..... both in their 60's. One is a pet name for Norah, the other I really dont know! Its normal for me but a source of great amusement for my OH... 'no-knees' how does she walk.......

I looked after a patient whose family called her Nonie. I thought it was a lovely name.

Larianne wrote: »
    I looked after a patient whose family called her Nonie. I thought it was a lovely name.

It helps the 2 ladies I know are absolutely lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭smugchik

carlybabe1 wrote: »
    almost as bad as dymphna,:eek:
    consumpta, assumpta and dymphna, syptoms include uncontrollable runs, hallucinations and speaking in tongues :D

apologies to anyone i may have insulted

Let's not forget Concepta! (named after sex!)

I know a Dermot McDermot and a Connor O'Connor. Also heard a posh father call out to his daughter "Hermione" the other day. I know it's an old name but all I could think was that it was Harry Potter inspired!

Also know a girl called Shayla, which I think is a northsider pronouncing Síle or Sheila.

The name Shayla is from Sex and the City, it was a name that the Charlotte character was supposed to have made up when she was a little girl for her child . Her friend had a child first and stole the name...

I know a William Williams............I mean who would do that to their kid???

One of my daughters friends mothers was Annette Curtain on marriage.... given Cork tradition for women not changing their names on marriage, I really dont get why she did it! Murphy was far better in this circumstance!

neveah wrote: »
    A friend of a friend has a kid in her class called 'God's Power'.

I've also come across someone who named their kid 'Jaymz'
    These are just ordinary folk, no celebrities here, how do u explain that to the kid when he gets older?? I'm sure he'll revert to the normal spelling, otherwise it'll be the bane of his life!

That has to be the worst one...

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭David086

I remember hearing on the radio that a mother called her new born twins Benson and Hedges!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭LEH

Was in college with a german guy called Christian Christ.... and the family were agnostics... said he'd gotten stick for it all the time growing up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Sweatynutsack

David086 wrote: »
    I remember hearing on the radio that a mother called her new born twins Benson and Hedges!

I prefer Walker and texas ranger

Advertisement