Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ridiculous names for children

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,982 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The new President of Nigeria is named Goodluck Jonathan - doesn't seem to bother him of the people who voted for him.

In South Africa I saw quite a few literal names such as "Beauty", "Precious", and so on. These were English translations of original Nguni (Zulu, Xhosa etc.) names, such as Nobuhle (beautiful) or Thabo (happiness). If you're the third of three girls, you could find yourself with a name like Ntombizanele, which means something like "OK, we have enough girls now, KThx?" :pac:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭carlybabe1

Wibbs wrote: »
    Some people are slow bastards though. You have to be damn careful with some names. Richard and Michael are fine upstanding names, but in the hands of slow witted 'rents? I've known a Dick Hare and Mickey Staines. Basically if your second name is something like Staines you're fcuked anyway. I've met three Neil Armstrongs born long after the moon landings and their parents with the exception of one didn't spot the issue. I was introduced to a Paul McCartney too. Fine, but think of the kids ffs.

derek hunt :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

LEH wrote: »
    Was in college with a german guy called Christian Christ.... and the family were agnostics... said he'd gotten stick for it all the time growing up

When I first saw this I called shenanigans, thinking Christ couldn't possibly be a surname, given that it wasn't even Jesus's surname, but in fact it is a surname.

Christian Christ reminds me of Chris Cross.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 crysta

heard of twins in australia called Salt and Pepper,

and what about annette curtin?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,131 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

There is a surname Bytheway in UK ( somewhere around the Midlands )
    Imagine everytime they introduce themselves "Hello I am John Bytheway"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭RightlyRandom

lilymay1 wrote: »
    I taught twin girls called Britney and Whitney

I know of twins named Rihanna and Leona, both named after the singers :rolleyes:
    Also know two Crystals, an Atlanta and a Tristan. Actually now that i think of it i know quite a few people with odd names, get used to them over time tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

The token loud and mad family in the estate where I grew up had a daughter which they intended on calling Aphrodite. However the mother had no idea how to spell it and the now 10 year old little girl is saddled with the name Aferdita.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Babyblessed

I know of twins named Rihanna and Leona, both named after the singers :rolleyes:
    Also know two Crystals, an Atlanta and a Tristan. Actually now that i think of it i know quite a few people with odd names, get used to them over time tho.

Tristan/Tristran/Tristram is quite and old name!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Skye

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

American use choose names because they like the sound of the word – without knowing what it means. For example – Sable.

http://www.awf.org/files/3656_file_sable_weis.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bb/Sable_bull.jpg

They give that name to girls – despite the obvious masculine appendage in the picture.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

'Fauntleroy, your tea is ready .. stop fingering Fredwina and come in at once.'

Condatis wrote: »
    American use choose names because they like the sound of the word – without knowing what it means. For example – Sable.

They give that name to girls – despite the obvious masculine appendage in the picture.

That reminds me, my friends mum was called 'Sybil'.... always thought it was strange but I am sure there is a film of the same name!

Oooh and for those with a flower name fetish, how about 'Myrtle', it was my grans name but I still find it strange!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Naikon wrote: »
    Skye

Imagine being named after your parent's favourite television channel.

It wouldn't be too bad if the child was male and the parent's favourite TV station is Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Ruire

Condatis wrote: »

Eh, Sable is a medieval word for black.
    That reminds me, my friends mum was called 'Sybil'.... always thought it was strange but I am sure there is a film of the same name!
    Sybils were oracles, a relatively common female name once. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sybil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Shivers26

Thank fcuk he didn't manage to convince you. Would have been a nightmare for the poor chap. Nemesis is actually the Greek goddess of retribution.

OMG :eek: I can't believe I never copped on. I swear I read it in a book and it said god. You have no idea how close he came to talking me in to this.

My mother had a work colleague called Teresa Green and she genuinely couldn't figure out why I thought that was funny

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭blacktalons

Ita Cocks and Seymore Titt :pac::pac::pac:

Shivers26 wrote: »
    ym mother had a work colleague called Teresa Green and she genuinely couldn't figure out why I thought that was funny

OMG............. welll! My grandad used to tease me (in a lovely but I will never forget way/...) but I get this and my maiden name isnt green its grey>>>

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

There's a little boy in my brothers Preschool group who's name is Ethan Cox..

That mighn't look to bad.. but.. when your from South Longford where people talk really flat and fast it begins to sound like

Eating Coc*s

(-__-) :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Fortune_Cookie

A fella I went to school with was named Gerald Fitzgerald and I used to work with a Michael Michaels. The neighours that just moved in across the road have 3 daughters named Brittany, Tiffany and Whitney. My sister's friend named her son 'Jay'. I thought she'd really named her kid Jason when I first heard it but I was wrong! The boys actual first name is Jay! The mother thinks it's cute that he can call himself "J" for short. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I have a family member called Hero (a girl), I guess that is the more unusual ones I have known. I dont think it is ridiculous, but I am sure some might.

I once heard of a guy called Cosmo, and although it obviously has nothing to do with the magazine, I think it is a pretty unfortunate name for a younger man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

later10 wrote: »
    I have a family member called Hero (a girl), I guess that is the more unusual ones I have known. I dont think it is ridiculous, but I am sure some might.

I once heard of a guy called Cosmo, and although it obviously has nothing to do with the magazine, I think it is a pretty unfortunate name for a younger man.

Could have been named after Cosmo Brown from Singing in the Rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭uriah

Phil Neville, Gary Neville and their brother Neville Neville

Don't care what parents call their children...it's their choice;

But whatever name the child is given, please let that be the name they are called, the name on every cert and official document, school registration and bank account.

And please do not allow anyone to 'translate' it into Gaeilge.

Nothing worse than trying to find/identify someone who uses several versions of their name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Sorsaise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

uriah wrote: »
    But whatever name the child is given, please let that be the name they are called, the name on every cert and official document, school registration and bank account.

Oh no, not at all. I was given my mother's surname, and since birth certificates don't carry any surname for most people, I happily use my other (father's surname) for occasions when I don't want to be officially recorded.

The census, for example. I don't want some twerp of a great great great grandson sticking his nose into where I was and with whom I was shacking up with on census night!

Also very useful for bank accounts, library cards when you've been blacklisted from Dublin City Library for losing books, and for using facebook if you don't want to be found by any Joe Soap, so on and so on!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

My mate works with a girl called Beautiful. It has recently transpired that Beautiful's younger sister is also called Beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

I hate names that are based on religious beliefs, or virtues.

For example, the oldest triplets in history (as in all still alive) were called Faith, Hope and Charity.

I don't like names that are synonymous with certain religions because it makes the person be perceived as being a certain religion instantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭easterbride

Mona~Lisa
    Precious
    Esalt
    Quinnlynn
    Nevaeh (Heaven backwards?)
    Talluah

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Fiodhna

Why :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

Ita Cocks and Seymore Titt :pac::pac::pac:
    There's a woman in my college is called Ita Dix. That's got to be hard to live with!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I know a kid called Ty, that is not a word!

I also have a Sri Lankan friend whose dad's name is Ratnasabapathy Ratnasabapathy :)

Advertisement