Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone home broadband warning

• 22-06-2011 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭quinnd6

I unfortunately assumed Vodafone were supposed to send out an email to customers if it was their first time going over their download limit.
    I got the phone bill today and have been charged over 17 euros extra for going over the download limit and it was my first time ever going over the download limit and they never gave my any warning via email or phone about it.
    It just shows that Vodafone don't give a damn about their customers and will rip them off as much as they can get away with.
    I know I shouldn't have gone over the download limit but I should have been warned about it.

So as my own warning to Vodafone customers make sure to keep a check on your download limit on the Vodafone website to make sure you're not going over your monthly download allowance so Vodafone can't rip you off like they're ripping off me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

quinnd6 wrote: »
    I unfortunately assumed Vodafone were supposed to send out an email to customers if it was their first time going over their download limit.
    I got the phone bill today and have been charged over 17 euros extra for going over the download limit and it was my first time ever going over the download limit and they never gave my any warning via email or phone about it.
    It just shows that Vodafone don't give a damn about their customers and will rip them off as much as they can get away with.
    I know I shouldn't have gone over the download limit but I should have been warned about it.

So as my own warning to Vodafone customers make sure to keep a check on your download limit on the Vodafone website to make sure you're not going over your monthly download allowance so Vodafone can't rip you off like they're ripping off me.

you just answered your own query tbh, they're not "ripping you off", you have a limit, you went over yourself, they charged you accordingly. You could ring them and ask to take off the charge as a once off being its your first time going over, least its only 17 euro and not something much higher. Why would you assume they'd contact you over such a small amount? they cant monitor every customers monthly usage and ring them to let them know they've gone over, thats the customers own responsiblity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭quinnd6

I assumed they would've had some automated email system in place for this kind of thing.
    It could have been a lot more and they wouldn't have let me known about it either until the bill came.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,892 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It would of course be a great thing if these ISPs could email you, warn you some way if you were approaching your limit so it would stop you being charged, but perhaps its in their interest you overspend!

As Krudler says, it all in the small print, you sign up to it so you ultimately have no comeback against them.

I assumed they would've had some automated email system in place for this kind of thing.
    It could have been a lot more and they wouldn't have let me known about it either until the bill came.

lesson learned then, don't assume things

Actually this is where I made my mistake I assumed they were a decent company and operated the same as these guys,(no longer available here unfortunately)
    unfortunately I was wrong.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/32957/c/346,402,424

Yes indeed lesson learned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Very cheap lesson, there's been many a worse horror story than that..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

Misleading title, IMO. OP wasn't ripped off at all. He/she assumed wrong - not Vodafone's fault - pretty back & white situation.

Actually this is where I made my mistake I assumed they were a decent company and operated the same as these guys,(no longer available here unfortunately)
    unfortunately I was wrong.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/32957/c/346,402,424

Yes indeed lesson learned.

they're not a decent company over a 17 euro charge you incurred fair and square? to put it in perspective I had a guy with a €780 data overage bill during the week. its 17 quid get over it

It's fine I'm over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Sorry for your predicament, but thanks for your thread OP!

A vodafone sales guy called to my house yesterday evening, and said he would call back this evening. After reading your thread, I will not be signing anything.

• Advertisement

kelle wrote: »

A vodafone sales guy called to my house yesterday evening, and said he would call back this evening. After reading your thread, I will not be signing anything.

:rolleyes:
    Or.....OR, you could maybe read what you sign? Or failing that, ask about any specific terms which may concern you? It's not a "trick", FFS.

What's wrong with people? Nothing is ever their fault. Why do people expect to be babysat to through life?

you can not be serious

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Alot of users in the UK would take your claim that BT are decent as pretty misleading :pac:

Make sure not to sign up to Eircom either then as they charge for going over the cap, as does an NGB provider

If people don't read the T&C's and instead assume stuff then its certainly not the companys fault

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Do vodafone provide a service that allows you to check how much of your bandwidth allowance you have used? I remember that BT had such a service, I wonder if vodafone retained after they took over?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Thread title edited

dudara

I don't want to put people off using Vodafone.
    They're cheap and provide a very good service.
    Just make sure to keep track of your download limit via the Vodafone website and you'll be grand.

Or.....OR, you could maybe read what you sign? Or failing that, ask about any specific terms which may concern you? It's not a "trick", FFS.

What's wrong with people? Nothing is ever their fault. Why do people expect to be babysat to through life?

because accountability, common sense and a sense of repsonsibility for yourself are practically non existant with customers these days

I was accountable and responsible.
    I paid my bill and I'm done with this now.

I was accountable and responsible.
    I paid my bill and I'm done with this now.

without first claiming you were being ripped off, when you clearly werent.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 luap2007

Vodafone rang me last week offering me a new iphone 4! by saying yes i was told i had entered into a new 24 month contract! crazy! I oppted out on this one! I think there is better deals out there!

• Advertisement

luap2007 wrote: »
    Vodafone rang me last week offering me a new iphone 4! by saying yes i was told i had entered into a new 24 month contract! crazy! I oppted out on this one! I think there is better deals out there!

not really, meteor, emobile and three all do 24 month contracts for free iphones as well, o2 is the only network that doesnt do 24 month ones (yet)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

luap2007 wrote: »

For free iphones that lenght of contract is pretty standard,

If you want an iphone either be prepared to pay for it or go into a long contract, that's pretty much it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

bluewolf wrote: »
    you can not be serious
    Cabaal wrote: »
    Alot of users in the UK would take your claim that BT are decent as pretty misleading :pac:

Make sure not to sign up to Eircom either then as they charge for going over the cap, as does an NGB provider

If people don't read the T&C's and instead assume stuff then its certainly not the companys fault
    krudler wrote: »
    because accountability, common sense and a sense of repsonsibility for yourself are practically non existant with customers these days

OMG, lads! First of all, allow me to help untwist your boxers/y-fronts/long johns!

I said I wouldn't be signing up to Vodafone. I am not a heavy internet user, but you just don't know how much data any webpage uses so I'll stick with my Eircom unlimited broadband package.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Any company that imposes a download limit on home broadband should be considered a rip-off, particularly if they don't even send a warning mail. It's not the mid-90s, for crying out loud, consumers shouldn't have to accept bull**** service like this. It's quite staggering the number of people who side with the company here.

Any company that imposes a download limit on home broadband should be considered a rip-off, particularly if they don't even send a warning mail. It's not the mid-90s, for crying out loud, consumers shouldn't have to accept bull**** service like this. It's quite staggering the number of people who side with the company here.

Eh, I'm not "siding" with them on their broadband limits though - you're missing the point. Nobody is debating whether or not download caps are right or wrong or outdated, etc - I'm stating facts; Vodafone have caps, the OP knew, yet signed the contract, didn't bother to enquire as to how he/she would know if the limit had been reached, and then complained afterwards about being "ripped off" when all that actually happened was that Vodafone followed the terms of the contract that the OP agreed to.

So my point has nothing to do with how good the broadband deal is or whether or not they should e-mail their customers when a cap is reached - that's irrelevant - my whole point is about taking responsibility for what you agree to & sign. There was no mischief at Vodafone's end - there was no deceit. Yes, the deal was crap - but that's not what we're discussing. No matter how crap the deal was, the OP still agreed to it, so he/she needs to be a fooking adult & take responsibility for signing it instead of saying "I signed it, but now I want out because it's really unfair, waaaah".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

They actually have decent data addons which you can add and remove month by month on their website.

Despite the horror stories I've read, I'm actually finding Vodafone at home pretty good so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Any company that imposes a download limit on home broadband should be considered a rip-off,

EVERY broadband company has a download limit. Even the "unlimited" packages have a limit. Subject to what they call "fair use". Maybe you should actually read the terms and conditions.

Any company that imposes a download limit on home broadband should be considered a rip-off,

So that would affectively be ever provider in the UK and Ireland not to mention many providers throughout Europe, the America's and well pretty much most countrys at this stage.

Bandwidth costs money and at the end of the day you get what you pay for, if you want more usage then be prepared to pay.
    It's not the mid-90s, for crying out loud, consumers shouldn't have to accept bull**** service like this.

What does the 90's have to do with it, is it that Broadband affectively didn't exist during that decade in Ireland? :)
    It's quite staggering the number of people who side with the company here.

What is more staggering is the amount of people that assume stuff instead of reading the information that is very clearly displayed on company websites or T&C's.

Bottom line is T&C's outline the companys AND the customer's rights and responsibility's, if people dumbly agree to them without reading them or simply assume stuff without taking into account any of the actual information they are supplied with then how is this the company's fault?

Personally I think many providers offer very poor and expensive packages when it comes to usage caps (hello Eircom!) but at the same time its impossible and downright pointless to side with a customer of ANY company if they ignore the information they are provided with and assume stuff incorrectly.

As has already been stated, people signing up to such services are adults and as such they have responsibility's which conveniently they ignore, when it comes back to bite them they still don't want to accept any responsibility as its easier to "blame somebody else".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

You can add on:

Extra 30GB for 3.99 / month
    Extra 150GB for 5.99 / month

Basic packs:

Up to 8mbit/s with 40GB allowance
    Up to 8mbit/s with 120GB allowance
    Up to 24mbit/s with 300GB allowance.

Overall, their packages aren't exactly mean with allowances compared to eircom or even Smart Telecom's ridiculous caps on their unbundled services.

They also have a more transparent way of checking your usage than most other providers I've used. You log in and it shows you a pie chart.

I'm not a huge fan of Vodafone, but they're not THAT bad!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Eh, I'm not "siding" with them on their broadband limits though - you're missing the point. Nobody is debating whether or not download caps are right or wrong or outdated, etc - I'm stating facts; Vodafone have caps, the OP knew, yet signed the contract, didn't bother to enquire as to how he/she would know if the limit had been reached, and then complained afterwards about being "ripped off" when all that actually happened was that Vodafone followed the terms of the contract that the OP agreed to.

So my point has nothing to do with how good the broadband deal is or whether or not they should e-mail their customers when a cap is reached - that's irrelevant - my whole point is about taking responsibility for what you agree to & sign. There was no mischief at Vodafone's end - there was no deceit. Yes, the deal was crap - but that's not what we're discussing. No matter how crap the deal was, the OP still agreed to it, so he/she needs to be a fooking adult & take responsibility for signing it instead of saying "I signed it, but now I want out because it's really unfair, waaaah".

The OP has already stated several times that he accepts full responsibility and has paid the bill yet people still see fit to attack him and not address the point of vodafone's tight-fisted practice.

This thread is titled as a warning to other clients that Vodafone will charge for a first time breach of data limits and not send out a friendly warning. It's not what most of you are pretending it is so you can spit all your high-horse bile and - someone refusing to pay because they didn't read the contract.

There's no excuse for the ridiculous pricing structure and download caps in place and even less excuse to berate someone because they bring up the subject instead of meekly handing over far too much money for a poor service.

Advertisement