Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone home broadband warning

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The OP has already stated several times that he accepts full responsibility and has paid the bill yet people still see fit to attack him and not address the point of vodafone's tight-fisted practice.

Yes he finally did get over it and accept responsibility
    However the whole issue he experienced was based on his incorrect assumption and not anything Vodafone actually did wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

The OP has already stated several times that he accepts full responsibility and has paid the bill yet people still see fit to attack him and not address the point of vodafone's tight-fisted practice.

Yeah, the OP was blaming the clear T&Cs of Vodafone, and using his own creative writing at the start of the thread, to blame anyone else but himself.

Vodafone are at fault because the OP went over his limit ... oh right, now I see. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Cabaal wrote: »
    Yes he finally did get over it and accept responsibility
    However the whole issue he experienced was based on his incorrect assumption and not anything Vodafone actually did wrong.

And hopefully, as was clearly the OP's intention, other Vodafone users will now realise that there is no warning in place and they will get fined for going over the limit and therefore either keep an eye on their usage or change companies.

I don't understand why there is a need to shout at the OP and call him names for bringing this up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

No - he EVENTUALLY accepted responsibility. Why are you having a go at the people replying, when it wasn't us who started the topic? The OP asked for feedback on his contract situation with Vodafone. Plus, the topic title was initially called "Vodafone Rip-off", which was factually incorrect.
    not address the point of vodafone's tight-fisted practice.
    But how is that even relevant to this thread? Whether or not they offer crappy speeds or low caps should be a Broadband discussion - it has nothing to do with consumer issues. The consumer issue is whether or not the OP was deceived or ripped off: he wasn't.

For some odd reason you can't grasp that this thread isn't actually about discussing the value of Vodafone's broadband packages & deals; because that's the 2nd time you've tried to steer discussion that way, when it's off topic & irrelevant to the OP's issue. This topic is about fulfilling contractual obligations.
    I don't understand why there is a need to shout at the OP and call him names for bringing this up.
    Is sensationalising part of your Creative Writing forum? Or maybe a bit of fantasy? ...because nobody shouted or called him any names.

This topic is about fulfilling contractual obligations.

Much as you may like that to be true, it isn't. At no stage did the OP express any intention not to pay or even to try reasoning with the company. His sole gripe was with the fact that no warning was sent out for a first breach, which is completely understandable. It's poor customer service and the extortionate rates charged are clearly designed to milk customers who don't pay close attention every month.
    nobody shouted or called him any names.

I would call this pretty damn rude but if you consider it a reasonable way to speak to people I'm not going to argue with you.
    Or.....OR, you could maybe read what you sign? Or failing that, ask about any specific terms which may concern you? It's not a "trick", FFS.
    What's wrong with people? Nothing is ever their fault. Why do people expect to be babysat to through life?
    he/she needs to be a fooking adult & take responsibility for signing it instead of saying "I signed it, but now I want out because it's really unfair, waaaah".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Buddinplant

quinnd6 wrote: »
    I unfortunately assumed Vodafone were supposed to send out an email to customers if it was their first time going over their download limit.
    I got the phone bill today and have been charged over 17 euros extra for going over the download limit and it was my first time ever going over the download limit and they never gave my any warning via email or phone about it.
    QUOTE]

when i first got the vodafone internet, there was no warning. and the bill was 50 euro over the limit. obviously i rang them up and through freaking out at the bill ( i mean some seriously high pitched freaking out and lots of obvious crying/sniffing moments :) )and questioning the procedure of no notice for going over the limit, i had the lovely lad at the end of the phone to basically get my connection switched off if it went over the alloted 20 euro for what ever amount per month.

this worked brillantly but had to ring customer service each time to get it reinstated at the beginning of the next month.

now i have the unlimited option so no worries anymore :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

And hopefully, as was clearly the OP's intention, other Vodafone users will now realise that there is no warning in place and they will get fined for going over the limit and therefore either keep an eye on their usage or change companies.

Its not a fine, its a charge for usage.
    If you have a unlimited call plan most if not all providers give calls for free upto 59min and 59sec after that if you remain on the call you get charged.

Shock horror there is no "warning" of this upcoming charge but uyet the providers give information in T&C's and websites suggesting you watch your usage and hang up and call again at the 59min and 59sec mark to avoid a charge.

I'm with Meteor on a 60min per month plan for a flat fee, Meteor give me the information I need to know when these min are used up on their website but yet if I don't check this available information and I go over the 60min usage I will get charged and I receive no warning (all pretty standard stuff).

Your use of the word "fined" is massively inaccurate and frankly its clear you're getting abit carried away with your creative writing, it is a charge for usage and is no different to the likes of telephone calls being charged for like in my examples above.

Its clear you have a chip on your shoulder about Vodafone tbh

The OP's claims were inaccurate, he finally got over it and accepted his assumptions and his misleading thread title was also removed.

I would call this pretty damn rude but if you consider it a reasonable way to speak to people I'm not going to argue with you.
    I don't get it - you said "people are shouting at the OP and calling him names" - then you give no examples of this happening, despite quoting me 3 times. :confused:

Its not a fine, its a charge for usage.

A charge that's in no way proportional to the cost nor the charge for the equivalent badwidth usage within the cap is essentially a fine just as when you pay for 30 minutes parking and stay 45 minutes you get a large charge.

Its clear you have a chip on your shoulder about Vodafone tbh

I've never had any dealings with Vodafone and have no prior opinion of them. I do use the broadband service of their French subsidiary and find it excellent and reasonably priced. Obviously, it's not capped.
    The OP's claims were inaccurate, he finally got over it and accepted his assumptions and his misleading thread title was also removed.
    Which claims? That vodafone doesn't care about its customers?
    you're getting abit carried away with your creative writing
    Congratulations. You're the third person in a row to make some inane reference to the name of a forum I mod for no apparent reason.

A charge that's in no way proportional to the cost nor the charge for the equivalent badwidth usage within the cap is essentially a fine just as when you pay for 30 minutes parking and stay 45 minutes you get a large charge.

Somewhat of a conflicting answer,
    You say its a fine yet you say if you stay in a car park longer you get a large charge.

Surely by your logic is actually a large fine?
    So we agree its a charge for usage then?, good stuff :D:D

It doesn't matter if you personally don't agree with the pricing structure or not, if a customer agrees to the package then they agree to the pricing structure including any charges

As for your claim the charges are in no way proportional to the actual costs, you know just how much SMS messages and telephone calls actually cost to send and route don't you? Next to nothing in the scale of things yet these are most certainly usage charges if you use such services

I've never had any dealings with Vodafone and have no prior opinion of them. I do use the broadband service of their French subsidiary and find it excellent and reasonably priced. Obviously, it's not capped.

Yet your saying they provide an awful service based on the OP's incorrect assumptions, very strange indeed.

As for Vodafone in France I assume you mean SFR, I think you'll find they very much have a minority stake in France in this company as they sold any big shares back in April and affectively did a runner and exited the country.

Congratulations. You're the third person in a row to make some inane reference to the name of a forum I mod for no apparent reason.

To be honest its not without any basis, your calling charges fines in fairness. Thats pretty creative

Sure its ok I'm going to go to the local shop and get fined for a cup of coffee at lunch :pac:

Anyway I've had enough of this and in fairness the OP's issue is sorted as he accepted the situation in the end so arguing with yourself over your personal view on the company is just off-topic now imho.

• Advertisement

Somewhat of a conflicting answer,
    You say its a fine yet you say if you stay in a car park longer you get a large charge.

Surely by your logic is actually a large fine?
    So we agree its a charge for usage then?, good stuff :D:D
    Yeah, that was kind of the point. Perhaps it was too subtle.
    As for your claim the charges are in no way proportional to the actual costs, you know just how much SMS messages and telephone calls actually cost to send and route don't you? Next to nothing in the scale of things yet these are most certainly usage charges if you use such services
    This thread is not about mobile phones. This thread is about broadband charges and you said earlier
    Bandwidth costs money and at the end of the day you get what you pay for, if you want more usage then be prepared to pay.

as an argument for download caps. You can't argue both sides of the toss!
    Yet your saying they provide an awful service based on the OP's incorrect assumptions, very strange indeed.
    I said the practice as outlined in the OP was poor customer service.
    As for Vodafone in France I assume you mean SFR, I think you'll find they very much have a minority stake in France in this company as they sold any big shares back in April and affectively did a runner and exited the country.
    Whatever, so I've had 0 dealings with Vodafone then. No chip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Whatever, so I've had 0 dealings with Vodafone then. No chip.

I've been dealing with Vodafone At Home for 18 months and I've a multitude of chips.:(

You're the third person in a row to make some inane reference to the name of a forum I mod for no apparent reason.

You mod the forum for no apparent reason? :confused:
    Or did you just not make your sentence structure clear, and you actually meant people are bringing it up for no apparent reason?

Well, if it's the latter, it's probably because of the irony. You mod the creative writing forum, meaning you're a fan of writing (also further evidenced by your sig) - yet you can't grasp the simple concept of this written thread. The fact that Vodafone don't e-mail people when their cap is reached is irrelevant - the only relevant factor is whether or this was disclosed in the contract that the OP signed beforehand; which it was. Hence Vodafone did nothing wrong. Debating this Vodafone policy is moot - that's for the Broadband forum. And if you don't like said policy, you don't sign a contract agreeing to it - simple.
    You also concocted a story about the OP being called names & yelled at, which we can file under fiction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Any company that imposes a download limit on home broadband should be considered a rip-off, particularly if they don't even send a warning mail. It's not the mid-90s, for crying out loud, consumers shouldn't have to accept bull**** service like this. It's quite staggering the number of people who side with the company here.

its not bullsh1t service, its simple manpower, do you honestly think a company has someone sitting there monitoring a few hundred thousand broadband users usage every day? its impossible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭sendit

Any company that imposes a download limit on home broadband should be considered a rip-off, particularly if they don't even send a warning mail. It's not the mid-90s, for crying out loud, consumers shouldn't have to accept bull**** service like this. It's quite staggering the number of people who side with the company here.

If you ask me company's shouldn't have to put up with some of the bull**** they do with some consumers, people trying to find a way out of paying there bills ''I didn't know i went over the limt'' ''It's the first time it happened'' ''Iv been with them all my life'' are some of the things you often hear from people who do something thats there own falt. If you dont know what your signing up for and something happenes its your own tough s*** not the companys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

krudler wrote: »
    its not bullsh1t service, its simple manpower, do you honestly think a company has someone sitting there monitoring a few hundred thousand broadband users usage every day? its impossible.

I'd say a piece of software to monitor usage and send out an automated email or text when someone is approaching their limit would be fairly simple to develop.

That said, since they don't have this in place, its up to individual users to monitor their own usage (a service they do provide on their website).

dvpower wrote: »
    I'd say a piece of software to monitor usage and send out an automated email or text when someone is approaching their limit would be fairly simple to develop.

That said, since they don't have this in place, its up to individual users to monitor their own usage (a service they do provide on their website).

During my 18 months with Vodafone At Home, the only problem that I've never had was not knowing my broadband usage.

As much as I despise them, I don't think they're to blame on this one.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    During my 18 months with Vodafone At Home, the only problem that I've never had was not knowing my broadband usage.

If you never had the problem, how was it a problem? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

I assume he means he had lots of problems with Vodafone but not knowing his usage wasn't one of them.

I assume he means he had lots of problems with Vodafone but not knowing his usage wasn't one of them.

Exactly.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭carlosvan

i was looking on here for some advice on broadband with vodafone, after reading all this im nearly scared to ask , i have a o2 usb stick and its very slow opening youtube clips, freezing/ plus i use a skype phone which basically cant handle the slow speeds, does anyone know if there internet speed is good ? for 40 quid its 20 quid more expensive but i feel that its worth it if theres gona be a hugve improvment in service, sorry if ive put this in wrong place, please dont shout at me :0)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

carlosvan wrote: »
    i was looking on here for some advice on broadband with vodafone, after reading all this im nearly scared to ask , i have a o2 usb stick and its very slow opening youtube clips, freezing/ plus i use a skype phone which basically cant handle the slow speeds, does anyone know if there internet speed is good ? for 40 quid its 20 quid more expensive but i feel that its worth it if theres gona be a hugve improvment in service, sorry if ive put this in wrong place, please dont shout at me :0)

If you can get UPC in your area you'll get 25mb connection for €42.. And a phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭carlosvan

ive heard some really bad stuff about upc customer service, i used to have chorus years ago, arnt they the same company? there customer service was rotton!!! im from co kerry so theres no fibre optic cables over here folks!!! only wet sheep!! you get phone also with that 40 quid, i just need to see if its possable to get uk calls thrown in, maybe they'll get a sale then, but ill be making sure i dont go over my data quota thats for sure!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

carlosvan wrote: »
    ive heard some really bad stuff about upc customer service..

Same, just recent too..

TIP: Send any crucial or 'proof\resolution' postal letters to them by Registered Post.

What gets my goat is the companies bleat and warn you loads of time about your Prepay limits, so why not Bill?, The current carry on is very 'open ended', I feel someone hasn't stress tested the legalities of the current situation.

Yeah yeah, contracts and all that, it just seems like customers are tolerating a set up that causes hundreds, if not thousands, (financial) stress every month. There's no technical reason why a media warning or brief service halt can't take place, to show that a customer has\is coming to the end of their contracted Data bandwidth.

Needs a legal challenge\clarification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

:rolleyes:
    Or.....OR, you could maybe read what you sign? Or failing that, ask about any specific terms which may concern you? It's not a "trick", FFS.

What's wrong with people? Nothing is ever their fault. Why do people expect to be babysat to through life?
    i frickin hear ya,
    alot of people ring me up and ask why their bills are so high. cuz they only use the light and tv nothing else:rolleyes:

Advertisement