Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The C&H Irish presidential election discussion thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Mitchell has been over in Europe pushing a Christian agenda and supporting ultra-conservative nutjobs, Higgins any day tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

unknown13 wrote: »
    The PD's will not be represented on the ballot paper for obvious reasons but FG aren't far right. They would be more of a centrist - marginally right party.

I know FG overall aren't far-right, I was talking about Mitchell specifically. and I was referring more so to his social views than economic views.

He is a dinosaur who may have been a desirable president back in the '50's when the Church still had their grubby hands in the running of the state. But for someone like him to be elected head of state of Ireland in the 21st Century....it sickens me to even think about it. (I'd say the same about Dana but thankfully she doesn't stand a chance.)

I won't tell anyone who to vote for, I'll just strongly encourage them not to vote for Mitchell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

I'd certainly hope another loony candidate runs to split the Mitchell vote.
    I hope the same happens in 2012 in the US...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I'd certainly hope another loony candidate runs to split the Mitchell vote.
    I hope the same happens in 2012 in the US...

Very hard to see Obama getting in but the debt is really Bush's fault because he is the one who started the war and a lot of the debt is war related.

The US economics problems in the last 30 years are the responsibality of these presidents in order of magnitude: Reagan (R) > Bush Jr (R) > Bush Snr (R) > Obama (D) > Clinton (D)

Basically it's mostly the Republicans fault.
    The US public seem blind, I mean the GOP have a majority in the Senate.
    I complain about the public here :rolleyes:

Anyhow I hope the Irish public see the damage Mitchells idea's have caused in the past....

• Advertisement

Had Cox not been affiliated with the PD's, he would have got the nomination for FG. Lots of FG members despise the PD's.

unknown13 wrote: »
    Had Cox not been affiliated with the PD's, he would have got the nomination for FG. Lots of FG members despise the PD's.

Cox did good work in Europe but he's shown himself to be a blatant populist. His party-hopping is indicative of a man who lends his support to whichever party is flavour of the month.

McGuinness was the best FG nominee imo. I probably wouldn't have voted for her but I also wouldn't be shuddering at the prospect of her being president.

Knifey you have a good head on ya :p You should get into this politics malarkey :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Anyhow I hope the Irish public see the damage Mitchells idea's have caused in the past....

Unfortunately a lot of the people most likely to exercise their vote would consider Mitchell's policies a relic of the 'good old days'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Gay Byrne is considering running.

He actually couldn't have a better name to fit into the context of the Irish people burning Norris.

• Advertisement

I'd be quite happy if Gay Byrne's running. Then I wouldn't have to ask myself which of the candidates I hate least, I'd just vote for him instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

If Mary Hanafin runs, my interest in presidential race is back!

Fad wrote: »
    One of the FFers I have time for, tbh

I met Mary Hanafin once. She seemed slightly mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I don't think we need another Mary as president tbh, it's getting old.

(This is probably why I'm not allowed to vote.)

I have one of her 4 ish foot high election posters in my room :D

+1

I'm slightly biased though 'cause she gave me money! :P But still, she wouldn't be a bad choice at all. People will probably be against anyone who runs under the FF banner though.

I have one of her 4 ish foot high election posters in my room :D
    whut? :p
    You know her?
    Or are you a pensioner? :pac:

She is running for the sake of running. She lost her seat in the General Election and now she wants to run. Next Mary Coughlan & Conor Lenihan will put their names in the race.

• Advertisement

whut? :p
    You know her?
    Or are you a pensioner? :pac:

Christ no, I live in her constituency.

Turned 21 on Friday? So nearly!

Christ no, I live in her constituency.

Turned 21 on Friday? So nearly!
    but.. A POSTER?? :pac:

EDIT: OMG I'm so slow! I thought you meant like a fold out paper one for some reason :pac:
    Yeah stealing election posters is a great laugh :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I met Mary Hanafin once. She seemed slightly mad.
    Yeah, met her too, she was incredibly rude tbh. Not impressed.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

334655893a6472739021l.jpg

Guess which one is actually me. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Oh joy, Gay Byrne is a raging eurosceptic. Like him as a personality, wouldn't like him as president. Getting caught up in that dirty game of politics would just ruin him.

If he's the last runner it may come to a point where I'll be left with no option but just to vote for the candidate I hate the least. Which is sad.

Euroskeptic = dead candidate/party for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

jumpguy wrote: »
    Oh joy, Gay Byrne is a raging eurosceptic.
    Euroskeptic = dead candidate/party for me

But you guys, Europe wants to drag us into a nuclear war and reduce our minimum wage to €1.84 an hour, while re-writing our constitution on the third Thursday of each month.
    I saw it on a poster so it must be true.
    How could you tolerate someone who'll stand for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Gaybo for President?

Oh dear god, kill me now! >.<

Worst of it is, there are probably a zillion old dears who will go out and vote for him coz he's such a nic-c-ce man, and had their neice's neighbour's best friend's little girl on the the Toy Show one year! >.<

I didn't find any proof of euroskepticism after a quick Google...

• Advertisement

A certain little degree of euroskepticism is healthy enough, as in keeping an eye on Sarkozy and Merkel to make sure they're not screwing us all over for their own interests and such! :cool:

Euroskepticism to the levels of twattish organisations like Cóir or Libertas, on the other hand, would certainly be a turn-off.

giant-cow.jpg

Advertisement