Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The C&H Irish presidential election discussion thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

A certain little degree of euroskepticism is healthy enough, as in keeping an eye on Sarkozy and Merkel to make sure they're not screwing us all over for their own interests and such! :cool:

That's not really "euro-scepticism" as people understand it though, euro-sceptic is generally a term reserved for those who think we shouldn't have anything to do with Europe (or, as is more often the case, those who think they should continue to give us free money, but not have any input into how it's spent).

It might fit a strict definition of the phrase, but that's not how most people interpret it when it's used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Byrne claims 'mad people' in Brussels are running country

Oh dear..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

My apologies regarding Gay Burned
    He IS indeed a Euroskeptic
    www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2011/0811/1224302233029.html

Lets not forget there may be some very important laws regarding the EU that the next president would have to sign off on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

'Mad people' in Brussels gave the country it's great boom. The 'sane people' in the Dáil fúcked it up. The 'mad people' in Brussels bailed us out again.

Or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

Mary Davis, anyone?

• Advertisement

There are people who have made stupid decisions in every system, including companies like Google, and governments like France's or the European Union's

A few silly decisions does not make an entity "mad". There are certainly a few wrong decisions that created "mad" situations, but not many (any?) "mad" decisions taken by "mad" people in the leadership of the Union.
    In fact, it would seem that the majority of silly decisions were to pander to national interests - it was not the commission who refused fiscal and financial regulatory federalism to oversea the single currency - but the member states.

We may complain about our politicians, but maybe this is the problem with people who know little about politics - they have no idea what they are on about, and when they come to positions of power, can cause great damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I'm just hoping Inanimate Carbon Rod declares soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

amacachi wrote: »
    You're mixing up your former LLS hosts ... it's Gaybo who may run, not Pat ... >_>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Pat isn't smooth enough to be Carbon, he's obiously an imperfect biological specimen of some kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

wayhey wrote: »
    Mary Davis, anyone?

Then we'll have a Mayo Taoiseach and President, and we will be able to take over the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

amacachi wrote: »

Nah, I hope this guy declares for presidency

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

Great news. Not really a great candidate for the position anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

We're not going to get any interesting candidates this time, are we?

I think Vincent Browne should run.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Did Dana get a nomination yet..? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

He's 70-bloody-7 like..! :eek: Not one to be ageist but he would be 84 at the end of his term.. Bit old like!

Did Dana get a nomination yet..? :pac:

Don't think so and it is unlikely she will get it because I believe Mary Davis's nomination is comprised mainly of Connacht county councils. Would be hard for Dana to get a nomination from county councils outside of her own province.

unknown13 wrote: »
    Don't think so and it is unlikely she will get it because I believe Mary Davis's nomination is comprised mainly of Connacht county councils. Would be hard for Dana to get a nomination from county councils outside of her own province.

Dana's not from Connacht. People here were silly enough to vote for her, but at least we can be spared the embarrassment of her being from here.

Dana's not from Connacht. People here were silly enough to vote for her, but at least we can be spared the embarrassment of her being from here.
    I think Clare and the border counties are ok to be included in connaught as a sly insult :p

• Advertisement

I think Clare and the border counties are ok to be included in connaught as a sly insult :p

I think including Derry would be pushing it a bit.

I think including Derry would be pushing it a bit.
    I always thought she was from Donegal :o

Brian Crowley has pulled out of running for president. Mods can you amend the OP.

I am having serious concerns about where this thread is heading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Ok I've cleaned up this thread. Margaret Hickey has been banned for a month.

This is my last warning. Keep the posts on the topic of current candidates and if anyone has a problem with a post or posters, use the report post function and try not to derail the thread further. Any more off topic posts will result in infractions and may end up with me closing this thread.

Pigwidgeon

bumped with Norris possibly making a comeback into the race and Martin Mc Guinness most likely getting the nomination from Sinn Fein

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Marty 1, Higgins 2 for me.

I dont think Norris will get the nomination, I thought his late late appearance was a shambles.

SF don't tend to make a bags of things like this so I suspect they have the extra 3 names they need lined up. MMG is also running as an independent, not on a SF ticket, he will be facilitated by SF to run.

Don't ask me what the difference or significance of this is, but that is what I have been told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

Martin McGuinness has the required backing now.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0917/president.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

I hope she gets nominated. Will split the Gay Mitchell vote

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

As of right now, my preference order is:

#1 - Higgins
    #2 - Norris
    #3 - McGuinness
    #4 - Davis
    #5 - Gallagher

Gay Mitchell will get no preference from me. A single vote for that man is a vote too many.

Advertisement