Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The C&H Irish presidential election discussion thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Dana and Norris wont be running, FF arent running anyone and they arent allowed nominate as individuals so thats the end of end of Norris. Although I would have liked to have seen Norris humbled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I hope she gets nominated. Will split the Gay Mitchell vote

She wont do damage to Mitchell at all, the only person she will do damage to is: Davis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

unknown13 wrote: »
    She wont do damage to Mitchell at all, the only person she will do damage to is: Davis.
    People who want to blindly vote for a woman, maybe, but I can't imagine there being too many of themn. For people who actually consider candidate's ideologies and policies, Dana and Mitchell are certainly both on the loony Christian right. She could very easily do damage to Mitchell.

I just hope that if people did vote for Dana (who won't win) they wouldn't bother giving Mitchell second preference.
    Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Dana and Norris wont be running, FF arent running anyone and they arent allowed nominate as individuals so thats the end of end of Norris. Although I would have liked to have seen Norris humbled.

Dana I doubt very much has enough support. Norris, however, can't be ruled out until the nominations are closed. I heard today that he has the support of three councils and so only needs one more. And there are still a few TD's and senators out there willing to back him.

I would no longer give him my first preference (the Nawi affair was handled very badly on his part and showed a worrying naivety and lack of judgement) but would certainly give him a #2.

As for him being humbled, you can't say with certainty that he would not win if he got the nod. On the contrary, I could see it being a very close finish between him, Higgins, Mitchell and McGuinness. Mitchell would lose out on transfers and so one of the other three would triumph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

People who want to blindly vote for a woman, maybe, but I can't imagine there being too many of themn. For people who actually consider candidate's ideologies and policies, Dana and Mitchell are certainly both on the loony Christian right. She could very easily do damage to Mitchell.

I just hope that if people did vote for Dana (who won't win) they wouldn't bother giving Mitchell second preference.

Dana I doubt very much has enough support. Norris, however, can't be ruled out until the nominations are closed. I heard today that he has the support of three councils and so only needs one more. And there are still a few TD's and senators out there willing to back him.

I would no longer give him my first preference (the Nawi affair was handled very badly on his part and showed a worrying naivety and lack of judgement) but would certainly give him a #2.

As for him being humbled, you can't say with certainty that he would not win if he got the nod. On the contrary, I could see it being a very close finish between him, Higgins, Mitchell and McGuinness. Mitchell would lose out on transfers and so one of the other three would triumph.

Heres my take on this, Fingal committed ages ago to support him, no other CC was interested so he went down the "get 20 names" route. County councils meet once a month, the meetings for September have already happened, there is a week until nominations are closed.

This reeks of desperate pro Norris spinning,(not from you, just those in the media) trying to pressure CCs into calling another meeting this week. He only has the support of one CC, and he has had that for ages.

However people are falling over themselves as if he were to run the quite sizable anti establishment vote will be split between him and MMG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Heres my take on this, Fingal committed ages ago to support him, no other CC was interested so he went down the "get 20 names" route. County councils meet once a month, the meetings for September have already happened, there is a week until nominations are closed.
    I imagine he would have gotten the support of more councils earlier had Fine Gael not issued that cowardly "you're not allowed back Norris" order to all their councillors. Now if I was a FG strategist I'd have done the exact same thing. But I'm not so I can give out about it! :pac:
    This reeks of desperate pro Norris spinning,(not from you, just those in the media) trying to pressure CCs into calling another meeting this week. He only has the support of one CC, and he has had that for ages.

Just for the record you didn't have to clarify that, I knew it wasn't aimed at me. :) And as I said in my previous post anyway I'm voting for Higgins. I do think Norris should still be on the ballot though; his nomination should have been sewn up even before the MacGill and Nawi controversies. He clearly had the support at the time, and even if that has changed and the people don't want him to win, then they won't vote for him and he won't win. so I don't see any harm in his name at least being on the ballot.
    However people are falling over themselves as if he were to run the quite sizable anti establishment vote will be split between him and MMG.
    If nothing else, at least no-one will be able to say that this election was boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I'm calling it. Martin McGuinness will win. Place your bets now.

I'm calling it. Martin McGuinness will win. Place your bets now.

I wouldn't be surprised and he came off across well on his Primetime interview.

I find it hard to pick a winner at the moment. I think there are 5 candidates with good shot of winning: Gallagher, Higgins, Mc Guinness, Mitchell & Norris. Where transfers go is the big question.

Dana is gone first, no doubt because she is the worst candidate in the race and after seeing Davis speaking tonight in college and then her interview with prime time. I can't see her being a threat. I knew she wasn't a strong candidate but tonight I have seen how weak of a candidate she is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Pity the vote is on a Thursday. Won't be home because of college :/

Dunno who i'd vote for anyway tbh. None of the candidates really appeal to me. Probably one of the independents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Hokay, so I know very little about the candidates, but so far I think...

David Norris: I'd say he'd do one of the best jobs as president. He's ridiculously sincere, and I can imagine him representing Ireland well. I wish there was less focus on the letter and more focus on his suitability to the presidency during interviews lately. I'm open to correction now because I haven't seen the contents of the letter or anything, but asking for leniency towards someone you love is a fairly natural thing to do, and what Norris was trying to do was to protect his partner rather than to excuse statutory rape. I'd do it for my wife or my friend, so I see why he did it. If the letter was written on Seanad paper, that's not really right, but to be honest, I don't think it qualifies as a reason to miss out on the presidency (if he is otherwise the best candidate, of course).

Michael D: Also, looks like he'd do a verrry good job as president. Like Norris, he's a great speaker, and he's passionate. His age isn't toooo much of an issue in my opinion. I don't think it would limit his potential to be a good president. As I say, I don't really know much about this stuff, so I'm not sure what he's done throughout his career. The limited amount I've seen and heard of him has been altogether positive, though.

Martin McGuinness: A reallll toughie for me. He's probably done more specifically for Ireland than a lot of the other candidates. He quite literally risked his life to try to achieve a goal he thought was for the good of the country and he did loads for the peace process (I... think...?! :P), which earns him major brownie points. Then again, he very likely contributed to the violence previously in some way too. I know it was a different time and a different place, but I'd infinitely prefer him to never have been associated with creating the pain that was felt by the families and friends of the victims of the troubles. There are people who hate him and couldn't bear to stand in the same room as him, so electing him as president doesn't sit quite so comfortably in my mind. Could he really welcome the Queen in the same way that she was welcomed in May? Other than that, he's so strongly linked with the issues in the north that he might be a little less focused on the Republic in general??? Overall the positive things he's done are great, while the negative things could (?) be horrible?

Those are the 3 most likely to get my vote.

Davis and Gallagher are fine, and they'd both make pretty good presidents, but I think there are better candidates. (Again, just from the impressions I've picked up... I don't know much about it!)

I don't like Dana because she's too much of a conservative (from what I've picked up she seems very close-minded about it... I wouldn't mind so much if she was more open to entertaining alternative ideas), her name rhymes with banana, and I don't think she deserves the title of president in the least. I think she was an MEP, but I don't know of anything else she's done to deserve it. Wikipedia says: She campaigned on family values and her opposition to abortion (I don't reeeally agree with her), contraception (Disagree) and divorce (... I can't comment because swear words are blocked on boards) along with a Eurosceptic line on the EU (:confused: I don't know whether I agree or not?)... So basically myself and Dana don't relate too well, sooooo I won't be voting for her.

Gay Mitchell? More like 'No Way Mitchell'! I agree with his opposition of the death penalty, but ifff he wrote that letter asking for clemency for the double murderer at the abortion clinic because of anything especially to do with the killer's motive, then he's a plonker. Wikipedia says he's opposed to gay marriage because he thinks it will 'weaken' marriage, plus his personality isn't nearly as warm and charming as those of other candidates so I'd say it'll be a no from me.

If I've said something stupid or misunderstood something, then forgive me please :P I'm bad at this kinda growed up people talk...

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Allison91

I would probably vote for Higgins or Norris, does anyone know how long it would take to register?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

Had to laugh at Dana, holding out the European Constitution as if it was satanic scripture.

Dana is just terrible. I am glad she is getting destroyed in the opinion polls because we don't seriously don't need her as president. We would be taking a backward step electing her as president.

Mary Davis is getting exposed on the late late. She keeps referring back to the Special Olympics and brings nothing to the table.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

Allison91 wrote: »
    I would probably vote for Higgins or Norris, does anyone know how long it would take to register?

Register immediately. The supplementary register stays open until October 10th, I believe.

Download the form, complete it and bring it to your local council. Simples!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Mary Davis is getting exposed on the late late. She keeps referring back to the Special Olympics and brings nothing to the table.
    In fairness, I was more impressed with her to-night than I had expected. Nothing wrong with her background imho for the role of President: it's a role which needs the ability to relate to people at home and abroad, it should have a huge emphasis on inclusiveness, the more energy the better, and I thought she scored points on the practical point of having contacted the IDA to ask how a President might usefully get involved with encouraging employers / entrepreneurs to locate here.

Dana tried to be caring Mother Ireland, I thought she would burst out crying for the "ordinary people of Ireland" a few times! And as a good mother should, she will take up the poker and sally forth to defend her chicks and the constitution against the bold bad EU Commission. Except I don't have any sense that she understands the role of the President, and specifically the limitations on that role. DEFINITELY not who I want to see representing Ireland at any international level.

Sean Gallagher really doesn't impress, despite him mentioning youth issues in every sentence. Nor do we need a renegade FFer.

Norris has been shook by all the controversy, very much on the back foot to-night. And what on earth was he on about honouring every county in rotation? ... completely blatant attempt at parish-pump politics.

Michael D. wasn't at the top of his game either, but then "short and snappy" doesn't suit him best. He comes across as the elder statesman among that lot ... whether that will help or hinder him remains to be seen. Still my preference tbh.

Mitchell made a real play for the Dublin vote, the workers' vote and the mammies with his Inchicore speech at the end.

Martin McGuinness. McGuinness I can't help having some respect for, albeit almost unwillingly. I don't particularly like his background or indeed SF, but damn it, he sat down with Paisley and Co. and he made it work, and that must have been like having a cactus shoved where the sun don't shine as far as he's concerned. I can't give him a vote though, even a lower preference. It's too soon. It's way too soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Dana: You bet your boots I would

Quote of the century tbh :pac:

Right, the election is about 11 days away and Sean Gallagher has made serious in roads up the opinion polls. Thoughts ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

What type of ID can you use to vote? Or do you even need any? My passport and driving license appear to have gone on holidays and I won't have a new one in time. I still have like my age card and student card. Anyone know if that's enough?

Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    What type of ID can you use to vote? Or do you even need any? My passport and driving license appear to have gone on holidays and I won't have a new one in time. I still have like my age card and student card. Anyone know if that's enough?

Both are acceptable by themselves. Although I've never even been asked for ID at the polls.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I don't think I've ever been asked either! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Right, the election is about 11 days away and Sean Gallagher has made serious in roads up the opinion polls. Thoughts ?

I really don't know where this massive surge in support from Gallagher has come from tbh! Not so long ago the odds were 40/1 on him being president and now he's leading the pack completely!

In yesterday's redc poll... Gallagher 39 (+18) Higgins 27 (+2) McGuinness 13 (-3) Mitchell 8 (-2) Norris 7 (-7) Davis 4 (-5) Dana 2(-3)

I mean, what on earth is happening? +18!!!! Who's voting for him? I actually have no idea! Not that he's a particularly bad candidate or anything, but I never would've expected him to be doing so well, ESPECIALLY because of his Fianna Fáil background. Looks like FF might get the last laugh of 2011 yet! Bit mad!

On the plus side, McGuinness's support is dropping, which can only be a good thing. It's absolutely horrific that a man who presided over an organisation which killed almost TWO THOUSAND people during the Troubles is even being considered for President!
    There's so much dodginess surrounding the man. The army council thing. The whole... being a terrorist bit. The fact that he's a disingenuous idiot who'd love to undo all the good work surrounding the peace process if he got even half a chance. Not to mention the fact that in the '70s, he swore an oath to the IRA whereby he refused to recognise the legitimacy of the southern Irish state or its security forces. I'm sorry, but... how absolutely stupid are the Irish electorate to be supporting this man? It's embarrassing to say the least.
    It hurt to watch him on Wednesday for the Prime Time debate, he made me completely cringe all over. Not to mention SHUDDER, eugh.

mcg1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

My dad reckons all the Gallagher support is because he's the youngest candidate; he's more likely to remain president and save the cost of another election. And maybe it helps that he's keeping a low profile, I genuinely don't know what the man looks like, where as I can probably sketch Mary Davis's photoshopped face from memory...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

The first time I saw a Mary Davis election poster I actually thought it was an advertisement for Boots.

/random fact.

bythewoods wrote: »
    Not to mention the fact that in the '70s, he swore an oath to the IRA whereby he refused to recognise the legitimacy of the southern Irish state or its security forces.

If I was a Catholic in 70's Derry I wouldn't have had much time for the southern state or its security services either, as it didn't seem to be aiding them in the slighest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

McGuinness's candidacy doesn't sit right with me either tbh, and as much as he goes on about how he acted as a 'peacemaker' in later years, I'd still rather vote for someone who wasn't a murderer in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I'm not going to vote for anyone because I think the office of the president is a heap of shite to be honest about it. If I was to vote though, it'd probably be for Seán Gallagher, just because I dislike him the least. There's nobody I'd really like to see elected. And whoever does become El Presidente certainly isn't going to shine the way Mary McAlease did. She was great, and even came over to shake my hand a few months ago! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Lawliet wrote: »
    My dad reckons all the Gallagher support is because he's the youngest candidate; he's more likely to remain president and save the cost of another election. And maybe it helps that he's keeping a low profile, I genuinely don't know what the man looks like, where as I can probably sketch Mary Davis's photoshopped face from memory...

I guess he does have youth on his side, although that surely can't be a major contributing reason for his BOOM in support!

Perhaps this video has spurred a lot of people on?

If I was a Catholic in 70's Derry I wouldn't have had much time for the southern state or its security services either, as it didn't seem to be aiding them in the slighest.

What a complete cop-out! You can not have "much time for" something without filling your car with explosives and ammunition, or being responsible for thousands of deaths you know.

I'll vote Dana over him and that says a LOT. (As was pointed out on the Prime Time debate, she was also a Catholic in '70s Derry and she has yet to murder 2000 people as a result of her upbringing!)

bythewoods wrote: »
    What a complete cop-out! You can not have "much time for" something without filling your car with explosives and ammunition, or being responsible for thousands of deaths you know.

Of course you can. But I'm never going to demonize everyone who was an IRA member at the time, I'd probably have been one under the circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Marty all the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Oh right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭macfhinn

Advertisement